Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was saddened by the news that Ralph Kiner died, as while the baseball hall-of-famer played most of his career in Pittsburgh, he had been part of the Mets broadcast team since the team was formed in 1962, continuing to do a few games a season even after retiring as a full time announcer. He was a great broadcaster in spite of slurred speech from Bell's Palsy that was later exacerbated by a stroke, as he possessed an encyclopedic knowledge of the game and an incredible catalog of first-hand anecdotes from the golden age of baseball. Being a Mets fan means your memories of the team are not always fond, but having Ralph in the booth was always a bright spot which will now be sorely missed.

Slugging Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Fractured 2.
Papa Pear.
Winter Bus Driver 2.
Link: 5 Awful Stories You Haven't Heard About the Winter Olympics.
Media: ZOMBEAVERS - Official Trailer [HD]. NSFW.
Johnny Cage Is Having Second Thoughts. NSFW.
Follow-up: Castaway's health takes turn for the worse, Mexican official says.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2014, 19:30 Hoop

Julio wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 17:36:
When two castaways go out on a boat, and one comes back...I'm pretty sure the guy who made it ate the other guy.

Maybe he has a bad case of Intern gestion. *bud dum tish*

Um .. Behind you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 18:02 beaves

Wow.. thanks for that Blue. I've lived in Pittsburgh for 5 years now and when Ralph Kiner died the local news stations did some nice tributes to him, as a Pirate of course. I did not know of him as I'm originally from Indiana, but they did mention that he was an announcer for the mets. Thanks for giving the Mets point of view.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 17:36 Julio

When two castaways go out on a boat, and one comes back...I'm pretty sure the guy who made it ate the other guy.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 15:29 Cutter

Nevermind that Putin is a homophobic dictator here's several more reasons to boycott the Olympics. Time to scrap the Olympics entirely IMO. It's entirely out of hand in cost, corruption, and the abuses it heaps on people and animals where ever it's held.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see a successful, yet small, terrorist attack at Sochi. It'll give all the governments of the world that final push needed to drag us all completely into the dystopian future of 1984.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 13:00 Creston

Quboid wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:59:
Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 10:27:
With the amount of security forces in place at Socchi, if a terrorist still manages to strike at the Olympics, we may as well just ditch the concept of security altogether. :\

No no no, it would prove we need more. Terrorist attacks (absolutely exactly) like this wouldn't have happened if we carried biometric ID cards and put more back-doors into our encryption standards.

They hate us for our freedom (not our military presence or definitely-not-acts-of-war drone strikes, grow up), so if we do away with our freedom then all will be peaceful!

That makes absolute sense!

-James Fucking Clapper

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 12:11 Quboid

By the way, if you think Sochi is bad, at least it's not as bad as the World Cup 2022 preparations in Qatar. They're not deporting many of the workers, they're repatriating their corpses.

I wonder why Sochi this year, Russia again in 2018 and Qatar in 2022 get such high profile sporting tournaments. I'm sure there's no connection between this and the head of the ECA (lobbying group for major clubs) got caught with 2 $70,000 Rolex watches by customs after a flight back from Qatar ... I don't even know why I mention it.

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 11:59 Quboid

With the amount of security forces in place at Socchi, if a terrorist still manages to strike at the Olympics, we may as well just ditch the concept of security altogether. :\

No no no, it would prove we need more. Terrorist attacks (absolutely exactly) like this wouldn't have happened if we carried biometric ID cards and put more back-doors into our encryption standards.

They hate us for our freedom (not our military presence or definitely-not-acts-of-war drone strikes, grow up), so if we do away with our freedom then all will be peaceful!

- Quboid

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 11:24 Creston

Hehehehe. Rob Neyer would go find out if Jamie Lee Curtis ever visited the ballpark.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 11:10  Blue 

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 10:36:
Also, RIP Ralph.

and an incredible catalog of first-hand anecdotes from the golden age of baseball.

A lot of these "first-hand anecdotes" from baseball's old timers tend to simply not be true.

You'll notice that I made separate mention of his knowledge of the game from the point about the anecdotes, as they are two different areas. It's like the old saying about not letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

From his Daily News obit:

He once met the actress Jamie Lee Curtis at the ballpark. Ralph, in his courtly way, told Jamie Lee that there had been a time when he was a younger man when he’d dated her mother, the actress Janet Leigh.

At which point, according to Ralph, Jamie Lee leaped into his arms and yelled, “Daddy, I’ve finally found you!”

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 10:36 Creston

Also, RIP Ralph.

and an incredible catalog of first-hand anecdotes from the golden age of baseball.

A lot of these "first-hand anecdotes" from baseball's old timers tend to simply not be true. I'm not picking on Ralph Kiner or anything, as it's possible that everything he said was always 100% spot on. But it's very surprising how often these stories just spiral away from the truth.

Rob Neyer wrote a very interesting book about it.

In any case, not meant to slam on Ralph or anything, just that your mention of the anecdotes reminded me about the book.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 10:30 InBlack

Which is why a war on terror would be completely missing the poi....oh wait.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 10:27 Creston

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 10:04 Mr. Tact

Glancing through the list of "scandals and controversies" at previous Olympics, I'd say the organizers of these Olympics will be quite happy if that's the kind of problems they have. We/they just don't want another Munich...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 09:40 InBlack

Olympics. And yet more hate. Not that any of that shit never happened in any other country to host the Olympics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_scandals_and_controversies

If you are not careful the Big Bad Ruskies will eat you alive! Grrr.

I have a nifty blue line!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo