Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Titanfall Beta Closed

Though Respawn's Vince Zampella tweeted earlier this week that this month's Titanfall beta testing would not be restricted to preorders, a new tweet clarifies that this will still be a closed beta, requiring a key for access. Here is his explanation of why restricting access to the game will allow them to get the most players into the test: "@VexX_mendes2878 @abbieheppe @TitanFallBlog goal is to get as many people in as possible, doing it in waves to make sure it works." Thanks NowGamer.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 22:37 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 10:14:
Microsoft is going as far rolling out a system update that will preload a bunch of assets for it even because they don't want people spending a year with their dumb installation/patch process.

I really really doubt that Microsoft is preloading assets... More likely just a run of the mill system update required for some features in the game. Same reason my offline PS3 needs to install a system update seemingly everytime I play a new game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 19:29 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 19:11:
Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 15:14:
I don't recall them ever making it seem more than 6v6, but I also don't pay close attention to games that are well over a year out.
From what I remember of the videos from E3 last year, though, it looked like Call of Duty. To the extent that we all called it Call of Duty with Mechs. Call of Duty is historically 6v6 (with Big Game options that aren't much played.)

Modern Warfare 2 was derided because it took the total number of PC players per server down to 18 from 32. It hasn't been historically 6vs6, they have just gradually pared it down to nothing from what it was. Why? So they could make smaller maps that are quicker to churn out while removing the need for servers.

And in the BF series you can always choose to have smaller servers. The maps shrink based on the number of players. So those of us who love 64 players can play, but people who love 32, 24, or 16 can also play.

Titanfall has limited itself to only those who love small player counts.

Smaller maps aren't inherently quicker to turn out.
But, when you're designing around your biggest platforms (console), and those platforms have a certain player limit, you design your maps to that limit. So MW maps are built for 6v6. You could put more there on the PC, but why?

I remember playing de_dust 18v18. And it sucked.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

43. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 19:11 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 15:14:
I don't recall them ever making it seem more than 6v6, but I also don't pay close attention to games that are well over a year out.
From what I remember of the videos from E3 last year, though, it looked like Call of Duty. To the extent that we all called it Call of Duty with Mechs. Call of Duty is historically 6v6 (with Big Game options that aren't much played.)

Modern Warfare 2 was derided because it took the total number of PC players per server down to 18 from 32. It hasn't been historically 6vs6, they have just gradually pared it down to nothing from what it was. Why? So they could make smaller maps that are quicker to churn out while removing the need for servers.

And in the BF series you can always choose to have smaller servers. The maps shrink based on the number of players. So those of us who love 64 players can play, but people who love 32, 24, or 16 can also play.

Titanfall has limited itself to only those who love small player counts.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

42. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 15:14 Beamer

So, if we all thought it was another CoD, did anyone really expect it to have more players?

I'll never get this demand for more players, either. Plenty of great games have few players. Plenty of terrible games have lots of players. Each has pros. Each has cons. Personally, I enjoy the smaller team games than the larger ones. In a smaller team game, you can have more of an impact and it isn't so much chaos. "But Beamer," someone will say, "when I go out with 32 of my friends in BF3/4 we have so much fun and it isn't random chaos at all!" Fantastic. I don't play with friends online, I tend to play solo. So I don't play BF3/4, because those games aren't much fun that way. This is a game made for people like me. You can ignore it, and play BF3/4, because they're made for people like you.
The great thing about a lot of games is that there's enormous variety.

All the people endlessly bitching about 6v6 kind of make me feel like I should go into every Amnesia thread and bitch about how you don't have enough guns and ammo to kill every enemy, or into every Grimlock thread and bitch about not having free movement.

-------------

41. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 14:15 Agent.X7

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 02:01:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 17:54:

Nobody would be complaining if they had made clear in the beginning that it was 6 vs 6. Nobody would be complaining if the player limit was 6 vs 6 and there weren't more than twice that number of AI on the field.

Bullshit no one would be complaining, everyone would have just been complaining sooner because it has nothing to do with expectations, it's because "more = better" is the pervasive mentality.

And I have yet to see a BF4 map where 64 players is too much. Lockdown is pushing it, but it's nowhere near as bad as Metro was with even 32 players in anything but Rush mode.

Not sure if troll.

Yes, yes you are.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

40. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 08:12 gray

meh  

39. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 07:39 SpectralMeat

So actual news about the beta will be coming early next week:
https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/431503648569692160

Steam: SpectralMeat

38. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 05:00 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 11:18:
Fantaz wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 10:59:
in other words, this game is gonna suck so they don't want to do an open beta so many of us will find out how bad it is.

Yeah, not at all, but that's the kind of logic some video game players love to throw around without any basis for it and without any real past examples of it being true.

Simcity (Im sure I could google/remember more if I tried, but this is just something recent from EA)

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 02:01 Dr. D. Schreber

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 17:54:

Nobody would be complaining if they had made clear in the beginning that it was 6 vs 6. Nobody would be complaining if the player limit was 6 vs 6 and there weren't more than twice that number of AI on the field.

Bullshit no one would be complaining, everyone would have just been complaining sooner because it has nothing to do with expectations, it's because "more = better" is the pervasive mentality.

And I have yet to see a BF4 map where 64 players is too much. Lockdown is pushing it, but it's nowhere near as bad as Metro was with even 32 players in anything but Rush mode.

Not sure if troll.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

36. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 17:54 Agent.X7

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 16:04:
More players is not inherently better. In fact 64 is too much in a lot of Battlefield maps. If they think 6v6 works best with the way they've designed the game, you could at least wait to try it out before you start bashing it for no reason. If every player in Battlefield had their own 2-story robot that could also act autonomously, it'd be a huge clusterfuck; gameplay and network connectivity both would be completely unmanageable. They would have zero destructibility at the very least.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 17:51 MajorD

I didn't realize until today reading the posts here that it is being developed on the Source Engine. Not that this is a bad thing, but I was with the ASSumption that 'Respawn Entertainment' was developing a whole new engine for this title. The Source engine is what...a decade old by now?

The game will either be meh, or take everyone by surprise. We'll see soon.

34. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 17:26 Ant

siapnar wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 15:36:
Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 15:33:
Yup, because 6v6 is just like 4 player deathmatch. Very comparable.
I seem to remember DOOM supporting 16 players in one mode.
It did? When? I only remember up to 4/four in the original DOS DOOM games.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 16:29 Parias

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 16:04:
More players is not inherently better. In fact 64 is too much in a lot of Battlefield maps. If they think 6v6 works best with the way they've designed the game, you could at least wait to try it out before you start bashing it for no reason. If every player in Battlefield had their own 2-story robot that could also act autonomously, it'd be a huge clusterfuck; gameplay and network connectivity both would be completely unmanageable. They would have zero destructibility at the very least.

Honestly, my main interest is in co-op games anyways so this sounds perfectly fine to me. The focus on vs-AI gameplay has actually given me more interest in Titanfall than I'd have for the usual CoD / BF releases. I don't really understand all the pre-emptive bashing either.

32. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 16:27 SpectralMeat

Find it interesting how on Twitter they keep on hiding behind the "sorry we can not give any more information at this time" but the game is 5 weeks from release and they are planning a closed (and maybe an open) beta? How long are those betas going to last, 2 days?
When are they going to give more information or let people register to the beta? Give the date when the beta comes out or any sort of solid information?
All these announcements seem to be just to stir up more dust and hype without any real substance.

Steam: SpectralMeat

31. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 16:15 Beamer

siapnar wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 15:36:

You remember either later modded versions or you remember incorrectly.
It allowed 2 players via modem or 4 players via LAN.

-------------

30. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 16:04 jacobvandy

29. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 15:57 Frags4Fun

Couldn't
Care
Less

28. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 15:36 siapnar

I have projectile dysfunction.

27. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 15:33 Beamer

siapnar wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 15:06:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 13:52:
The first previews looked epic. Huge battles with foot soldiers and mechs. Then we find out that 90% of the battlefield was AI. What? Look at videos from BF4. Huge battlefields with foot soldiers and vehicles blasting away and ALL of them are players.
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand that. Maybe they don't want the gameplay competing with their other flagship franchise.

Still, even with countless AI playing, it's going to be obvious there are only a few players in there. 6v6 is like.. we're taking a step back from the original DOOM

Either way, I'm still optimistic

-------------

26. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 15:32 Cutter

Of course they'll be giving out beta invites that people don't have to buy...they'll be giving out two of them, to show they weren't lying. The rest will have to buy their way in. The Tit has fallen.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo