Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway

South Park: The Stick of Truth is now available for pre-purchase on Steam, offering the Ultimate Fellowship content pack as a bonus for this advance commitment. Speaking of the cartoon-inspired action/RPG's release on Steam, Obsidian tweets that that the game will not use Ubisoft's Uplay service, saying "Nope, Uplay is not featured in Stick of Truth," going on to clarify: "Yep, it's a Steam game, with Steam achievements, etc." Responding to a question about whether there was any way to use Uplay from the fan of the service, they explain this will not be an option: "Unfortunately, no. Uplay was not integrated at all into SP:SOT." Thanks MCV.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 6, 2014, 08:09 gray

...whether there was any way to use Uplay from the fan of the service

Note the wording

Edit; Late to the party.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2014, 08:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 20:23 AlexSledge

Bottom line is pretty simple. No.

Uplay, you're late to market, tough - no games requiring an alternative online DRM will be purchased, Steam won that fight, and it's over.

I'm not the only one with this stance, and I'm sure that there are plenty that are happy to blow whichever way the wind blows, and good luck to you.

Edit:
Actually, if they ever did a GOOD reboot of Pod, I would be tempted, because Pod kicked so much butt.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 20:42.

I should be coding.

32. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 17:23 Redmask

Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 17:04:
If they continue down the path they're looking to it will be required for certain things in their games. Want to play that new game online with your buddies? Just invite them to your game via UPlay! Don't want to use UPlay for that? Too bad, there isn't any other way to do it.

It's just really shoddy software. If they want anyone to take it seriously as a contender in the Steam/Origin/everyone else race they need to get their shit together.

I don't disagree with that. It's a fairly harmless launcher right now, that's about the best thing I can say about it. I just don't buy the argument that it takes up too much space or uses too many resources. Ubisoft can do whatever it wants though and people will just have to vote with their money.

31. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 17:17 Panickd

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:23:
Don't know what to tell you boss, aside from stop buying Ubisoft games if it bothers you so much. I couldn't tell you what games are listed in my Uplay library, because I don't even go there in the client. I just click the X to close it after I'm done playing whatever game launched it.

If I had any choice in the matter UPlay would never have been on my machine. It was necessary for two of the games that Nvidia gave away in it's XMas "buy our new video cards" special. The code for Arkham Origins was on Steam but Splinter Cell and AC IV could only be gotten through UPlay. If they're going to force their shitty software on me like that they could have put some thought into how it would work from and end user perspective. That's all I'm saying. They either need to commit to selling their shit themselves and cut the cord with Steam or not force me to run an asinine app that serves no purpose if I end up buying their stuff on Steam.

If even a junk heap of a company like EA could comprehend that it shouldn't be that hard for some of the marketing geniuses that work at Ubi to pick up on it.

30. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 17:04 Panickd

Redmask wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:28:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:26:
Uplay is just entirely unnecessary. It uses up resources needlessly. That's the problem I have with it. If it isn't essential why do I have to use it?

Anyway, looking forward to this game too. No way in hell I'm paying $60 for it however.

What resources? It launches the game. It takes about 2 seconds and 50MB of ram. You don't need to keep it running all the time or something. There are real issues with uPlay like having to patch through its stupid interface and Ubisofts network being about as reliable as a drug addict. But it's not required here anyway so who cares.

If they continue down the path they're looking to it will be required for certain things in their games. Want to play that new game online with your buddies? Just invite them to your game via UPlay! Don't want to use UPlay for that? Too bad, there isn't any other way to do it.

It's just really shoddy software. If they want anyone to take it seriously as a contender in the Steam/Origin/everyone else race they need to get their shit together.

29. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:28 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:26:
Uplay is just entirely unnecessary. It uses up resources needlessly. That's the problem I have with it. If it isn't essential why do I have to use it?

Anyway, looking forward to this game too. No way in hell I'm paying $60 for it however.

What resources? It launches the game. It takes about 2 seconds and 50MB of ram. You don't need to keep it running all the time or something. There are real issues with uPlay like having to patch through its stupid interface and Ubisofts network being about as reliable as a drug addict. But it's not required here anyway so who cares.

28. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:26 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

27. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:23 jacobvandy

Don't know what to tell you boss, aside from stop buying Ubisoft games if it bothers you so much. I couldn't tell you what games are listed in my Uplay library, because I don't even go there in the client. I just click the X to close it after I'm done playing whatever game launched it.  

26. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:20 Panickd

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:14:
Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:10:
I would agree except that at least two of the games I have on Origin were pulled into Origin from Steam (they still had to be downloaded in Origin, obviously). Ubisoft is the publisher of these games and they could easily pull the games from Steam into UPlay and allow me to play them directly from UPlay if they wanted to. There is zero reason I should need to run two digital distribution clients to play a single game. It's just laziness/cheapness on Ubisoft's part.

That's completely different, as Origin is giving you additional licensed copies of those games as a courtesy. They are not just taking the Steam requirement out of your Steam games, because that's illegal. I guess you could complain about Ubisoft not doing the same charitable thing, but that's a bit petty...

Then those games shouldn't be appearing in my UPlay screen. I didn't purchase them there and they have no reason to be there. They ran fine from Steam without UPlay's app before Ubisoft decided UPlay should be an application for distribution of it's games rather than just a DRM scheme. It's shoddy design on UBisoft's part. If you want people using your store to buy games don't be launching someone else's software from your own when they go to play a game. If you want to bring everything you make out of other apps into your own then those games should launch directly from your own platform, otherwise leave them where they are and don't annoy me with your lower rent software.

Say what you want about Origin but at least EA had enough of a brain to realize that sending your users to another app to launch games was just a stupid idea.

25. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:14 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:10:
I would agree except that at least two of the games I have on Origin were pulled into Origin from Steam (they still had to be downloaded in Origin, obviously). Ubisoft is the publisher of these games and they could easily pull the games from Steam into UPlay and allow me to play them directly from UPlay if they wanted to. There is zero reason I should need to run two digital distribution clients to play a single game. It's just laziness/cheapness on Ubisoft's part.

That's completely different, as Origin is giving you additional licensed copies of those games as a courtesy (and trying to get you away from using Steam). They are not just taking the Steam requirement out of your Steam games, because they can't. I guess you could complain about Ubisoft not doing the same charitable thing, but that's a bit petty...

Acleacius wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:12:
I do have mine set to Offline, it still forces me to log into uplay. Then the pcrap even pops up a prompt, every time I quit the game, to tell me thanks for playing.

I was referring to the online/social features of Far Cry 3, not Uplay itself.

24. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:12 Acleacius

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 12:38:
Uplay is pretty non-invasive after you login the first time, it just automatically launches and runs in the background once you start to play the game. It at least provides some services for Far Cry 3 including the social challenge missions, but you can always choose to run it in offline mode. ...
I do have mine set to Offline, it still forces me to log into uplay. Then the pcrap even pops up a prompt, every time I quit the game, to tell me thanks for playing.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:10 Panickd

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:56:
Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:33:
I hate that it sees your Ubisoft games in Steam and then launches Steam to play those games. Just let me pull it into UPlay and launch it from there if you must but don't launch an entirely different digital distribution platform so that I can play your game. All that does is make your less robust application look pointless. I shouldn't have to be running Steam and UPlay to run a game.

If you bought the game on Steam, or redeemed key you bought somewhere else on Steam, then Steam is the DRM requirement for running that game. There's no way around that, except buying the game straight from Ubisoft instead.

I would agree except that at least two of the games I have on Origin were pulled into Origin from Steam (they still had to be downloaded in Origin, obviously). Ubisoft is the publisher of these games and they could easily pull the games from Steam into UPlay and allow me to play them directly from UPlay if they wanted to (remember these games are already using UPlay's "phone home" DRM scheme, otherwise they wouldn't be showing up in UPlay). There is zero reason I should need to run two digital distribution clients to play a single game. It's just laziness/cheapness on Ubisoft's part.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 15:16.

22. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 14:56 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:33:
I hate that it sees your Ubisoft games in Steam and then launches Steam to play those games. Just let me pull it into UPlay and launch it from there if you must but don't launch an entirely different digital distribution platform so that I can play your game. All that does is make your less robust application look pointless. I shouldn't have to be running Steam and UPlay to run a game.

If you bought the game on Steam, or redeemed key you bought somewhere else on Steam, then Steam is the DRM requirement for running that game. There's no way around that, except buying the game straight from Ubisoft instead.

21. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 14:56 Kevin Lowe

Sepharo wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 11:57:

Yeah Ubisoft saying, "Our own service is so shitty that we don't want to ruin our potentially hit game with it."

Ubisoft has a long history of that though (changing mind on DRM). At least they aren't too stubborn about it.
It seems more likely that this is Ubisoft recognizing that the game was most likely already built with Steamworks (THQ used it extensively towards the end) and not incurring additional risk by replacing it.

Or we could toss out this perfectly reasonable hypothesis and go with whatever just dribbled out of your mouth. That'll work too.

20. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 14:33 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:22:
I only used UPlay for FC3.

It was this annoying thing that opened when I launched the game, and once hung without me noticing, causing Steam to think I had played for 70 hours straight.

I never explored it. Never clicked a button. Never tried to figure out what all these points it was giving me were and how I may or may not be able to redeem them. It was an unnecessary, unwanted nuisance, a redundant layer on top of a layer already doing everything it did.

People used to say the same things about Steam in it's early days. UPlay will get better if Ubisoft will put some time and effort into it. Right now it's in a pretty sad state though.

19. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 14:22 Beamer

I only used UPlay for FC3.

It was this annoying thing that opened when I launched the game, and once hung without me noticing, causing Steam to think I had played for 70 hours straight.

I never explored it. Never clicked a button. Never tried to figure out what all these points it was giving me were and how I may or may not be able to redeem them. It was an unnecessary, unwanted nuisance, a redundant layer on top of a layer already doing everything it did.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 13:33 NegaDeath

I don't find Uplay too intrusive. I kinda like their idea of winning points via achievements that lets you unlock goodies in both the game you are playing and other games you own (though one could argue that content should be included by default). I'd love to see other platforms embrace that, it's one of the few ways I'd ever care about achievements. Otherwise it doesn't really bring much to the table so in this case the less stuff between me and the game the better.  

17. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 13:11 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 12:38:
Uplay is pretty non-invasive after you login the first time, it just automatically launches and runs in the background once you start to play the game. It at least provides some services for Far Cry 3 including the social challenge missions, but you can always choose to run it in offline mode.

Interestingly, when Rocksmith 2014 came out it had the Uplay requirement, but a couple months later it was patched out. None of the online functionality is missing, it still connects to Ubisoft servers with your account for that, but Uplay the app doesn't run anymore. That leads me to believe they're at least willing to listen to people complaining about an unnecessary background process, it's just that it's not so simple to remove in some games.

That is good. You have to think "hey this is our company, we want or own facilities, we don't want to have to rely on or give the entire market to Steam". That is business. So they do, they try, perhaps stepping back on Rocksmith, they now are having some experience and maybe they are seeing UPlay isn't really paying off for the extra development it costs and maybe just Steam or maybe nothing at all is just as good. It's a learning experiment. As said, it doesn't stop me, to me as a gamer though it is redundant and coming out of a game that it has to have an advertising nag screen every time is slightly annoying. It won't stop me from buying, however it brings nothing for me and they haven't got a penny more from me because of this app they made. I say save the dollars in continued support of it and just go Steam or nothing at all.

16. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 12:43 entr0py

Yeah, I didn't really think Ubisoft would pressure an independent developer to include their crapware, even if they are the ones pressing the disks.

For PC only gamers you might be interested to know that on consoles Uplay is a scam to prevent customers from fully reselling their games. Much like EA's defunct Online Pass.

15. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 12:38 jacobvandy

Uplay is pretty non-invasive after you login the first time, it just automatically launches and runs in the background once you start to play the game. It at least provides some services for Far Cry 3 including the social challenge missions, but you can always choose to run it in offline mode.

Interestingly, when Rocksmith 2014 came out it had the Uplay requirement, but a couple months later it was patched out. None of the online functionality is missing, it still connects to Ubisoft servers with your account for that, but Uplay the app doesn't run anymore. That leads me to believe they're at least willing to listen to people complaining about an unnecessary background process, it's just that it's not so simple to remove in some games.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo