Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released

2K Games announces Sid Meier's Civilization V: The Complete Edition is now available in North America and that this "definitive Civilization V collection" will be released for Europe on Friday (thanks Bill). This bundles the turn-based strategy sequel with its Gods & Kings and Brave New World expansions, along with a new Conquest of a New World Deluxe Scenario for Brave New World. In a separate post 2K also clarifies that this scenario will be given for free to those who already own Brave New World, and will be included with future purchases of that expansion, saying: "In addition to the Conquest of the New World Deluxe scenario being part of Civ V Complete anyone that owned the Brave New World expansion will be getting it for free via Steam. Also, if you purchase Brave New World in the future, the Conquest of the New World Deluxe scenario for free as a bonus." This trailer shows off the new scenario.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 6, 2014, 05:50 dumpy

Woo! Here comes Civ 6 - Alpha Centauri 2!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 22:29 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:55:
Seventyfive wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:44:
Is Civ 5 any good? I stopped playing a few Civ's ago when my tank got destroyed by archers. Kind of thought that was some real bullshit.

It's bullshit if you think of it in terms of the real world.
But then again, most of the concepts of Civ are bullshit if you think about them like that.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it in terms of dice rolls.

I don't think it's that unreasonable. It should be rare, certainly, but if the archers don't conveniently stand at one end of a field facing the tanks for the entire battle it's not hard to see how a tank battalion could have trouble actually engaging them.

How does a typical tank battalion (50 tanks?) defeat a typical archery battalion (5,000?) in a city over several weeks without levelling the whole place? Archers could potentially pick off the crews when they get out to take a leak.

- Quboid

15. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 19:57 Domgrief

Is Civ 5 any good? I stopped playing a few Civ's ago when my tank got destroyed by archers. Kind of thought that was some real bullshit.

The first expansion made some significant changes to unit health, so that fighting a dramatically weaker unit is likely to cause it to take 1-2% damage instead of 10%+. So that particular problem isn't as as bad as previous Civ games.

Overall the combat is balanced - if your cavalry are surrounded by pikemen or your city is being harried by a lone unit of archers, you can safely predict the outcome.

I've never been particularly fond of battles which involved more than one of air, land, or sea at the same time, but I'm not sure if that's because it's not balanced or I just suck at it.

14. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 19:38 Optional Nickname!

Brave New World is what makes Civ5 feel like a Civ game rather than another empire-building game.

However, certain changes such as up to a range of 5(!) hexes in combat and being able to purchase multiple buildings in a city per turn, with no limit makes for some very un-civilized tactics.

I don't miss stacks of doom, as my cities were usually on the receiving end of them!

13. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 18:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Techie714 © wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:46:
Civ V is solid & most gamers do like it.
Only thing that pisses me off are the unit changes. Otherwise it's good, though I like Civ4:warlords better.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 17:31 Krovven

Humble Bundle has the Civilization collection bundled right now. https://www.humblebundle.com/

$15 will get you Civ3, Civ4, Civ5 (with G&K and BNW expansions), Railroads and Ace Patrol. It doesn't seem to state that it's the GOTY edition of Civ5, so I don't know if you get all the smaller DLC's as well.

Civ5 classic is kind of weak, but adding G&K expansion makes the game 10x better and the BNW expansion improves upon that as well.

11. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 17:26 Krovven

Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:34:
People play the Civ scenarios?

I enjoyed the WW2 one with Civ 2 but I've barely tried any since then - skirmish all the way. Maybe I should, I don't even know what they consist of.

Up until a couple days ago I hadn't. I think I had tried one or two before, but found them overwhelming not knowing a lot about the game at that point (plus the scenario specific rule changes). Fast forward 2-3 years later and I figured I'd give them a shot having about 500 hours in the game now, beating the game with a number of leaders and several PBEM games ongoing. Over the last few days I've played and beat the Viking, American Civil War and New World scenarios and as mentioned before, now working on the New World Deluxe scenario.

10. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 16:55 Beamer

It's bullshit if you think of it in terms of the real world.
But then again, most of the concepts of Civ are bullshit if you think about them like that.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it in terms of dice rolls.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 16:51 Kosumo

Looking for another 'Play By E-mail Game' if there are any people keen out their. Let me know, always looking fro keen people.  

8. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 16:46 Techie714 ©

Civ V is solid & most gamers do like it.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 16:24 Quboid

I very much like Civ 5 and I think with both expansion packs it is now very well regarded.

There are some changes to the formula that some people don't like. In particular, 1UPT - One Unit Per Tile. Units no longer stack (except in special cases like a combat unit and a non-combat unit or passing mid-movement) so giant stacks of doom are no longer possible. I think is a big improvement as combat becomes a bit more about tactics than production. The AI didn't handle it too well but I think since the first expansion pack it has been fine.

Archers beating tanks is a controversial issue. I think it should happen, very occasionally, but it doesn't - not least because having such obsolete technology doesn't happen. There's less randomness in the combat so getting lucky is rare, even if you deliberately held a unit back as an archer I'm pretty sure it would be destroyed in one attack with the tank receiving little or no damage. If it attacked the tank (ranged attack, no danger to self) it might inflict 10% damage at most. (Figures my estimations after many hundreds of hours played, but not recently.)

Other changes: it's now hex based, rather than squares, which I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about; it's a bit shallow in places with fewer graphs and such like but it's not SimCity 2013 level uninformative or anything and there are mods to add more; network play was awful, I've heard it improved a lot with the last expansion (BNW) but I've no experience with it personally.

- Quboid

6. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 15:44 Seventyfive

5. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 15:34 Cutter

Yeah, heh, I've never played a scenario. I always just do random games.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 15:00 jacobvandy

They're smaller custom maps with specific objectives and scripting that challenge you to play in a specific way. Basically the gameplay equivalent of an RTS campaign mission.  

3. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 14:34 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 13:41:
Weird timing here, I just played and beat the Conquest of the New World scenario yesterday. After finishing it I saw that there was Conquest of the New World Deluxe in my scenario list and assumed it just unlocked after having beat the first one. So I started playing this last night not realizing it was brand new content.

People play the Civ scenarios?

I enjoyed the WW2 one with Civ 2 but I've barely tried any since then - skirmish all the way. Maybe I should, I don't even know what they consist of.

- Quboid

2. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 13:41 Krovven

Weird timing here, I just played and beat the Conquest of the New World scenario yesterday. After finishing it I saw that there was Conquest of the New World Deluxe in my scenario list and assumed it just unlocked after having beat the first one. So I started playing this last night not realizing it was brand new content.

1. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 11:16 Verno

Makes some sort of sense here but amusingly they are doing this with XCOM as well.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo