Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 15:41 HorrorScope

The DK article in the GTA one is interesting.

Son downloaded the demo this morning, looks decent, then you hit rocks areas that take 1 hour, 8 hours, 1 day to breakthrough, well unless you buy Gems to speed thing up.

The article gets into it and how mobile gaming isn't really working. It's like Free broadband mentality vs Cell Contracts mentality both then meet gaming to formulate a pricing strategy.

Since mobile gaming is the new thing, the big idiot corps are trying to put all they've learned ever in monetization into crappy ass casual games and hope we just forget the past and roll with it. Hoping that this is the future. I won't, my wife plays a few, never gave a dime, will never give a dime. Older son smart enough not to even look into it. Younger son, not scared to dabble but quickly see's what is going on here. So when all added up ZERO from my end. But the article goes on about how games get buried and the good ones, simply don't have a place to make a name and things are not profitable.

Quote from a 0 out of 10 article:
"This game would have been wretched whatever it was called but by defiling an existing game like this – especially one fans have been waiting for so long to be renewed – just makes EA’s contempt for their audience all the more obvious. In fact it’s not just the gamers they seem to despise it’s the very concept of video games themselves.

We were going to refer to Dungeon Keeper as a non-game, but that’s not really accurate. It’s an anti-game. It is purposefully designed not to require thought, skill, or experimentation. Instead it rewards only money and, begrudgingly, patience. If video games had been a part of George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four this would be the only one allowed."

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 18:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 14:29 nin

Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:20:
nin wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 09:39:
Analyst labels PlayStation Now 'a joke'.

Still incredibly skeptical of it working. We'll see, I guess...

Anyone get in on the beta?

Michael Pachter's track record for predicting anything in gaming is pretty pathetic. He does little to no research to come to his conclusions and then phrases his "analysis" in the most provocative way possible so that he can attract lazy game journalists to come to him for quotes hoping to set up some sort of self fulfilling cycle. In short, Pachter is an analyst who realized that being an analyst was hard work and doesn't get you as much attention as just randomly pulling things out of your ass and ranting about them.

Oh, I'm certainly not defending him...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 14:20 Panickd

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 09:39:

Michael Pachter's track record for predicting anything in gaming is pretty pathetic. He does little to no research to come to his conclusions and then phrases his "analysis" in the most provocative way possible so that he can attract lazy game journalists to come to him for quotes hoping to set up some sort of self fulfilling cycle. In short, Pachter is an analyst who realized that being an analyst was hard work and doesn't get you as much attention as just randomly pulling things out of your ass and ranting about them.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 12:05 Jivaro

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 11:53:
Playstation Now is being presented as a digital emulator essentially, bringing PSOne, PS2, and PS3 games to the PS4 and Vita.

Well, streaming, but yes. Everything is done on the back end, with none of it locally (my understanding, at least).

Yes, you are correct. I should have said streaming.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 11:53 nin

Playstation Now is being presented as a digital emulator essentially, bringing PSOne, PS2, and PS3 games to the PS4 and Vita.

Well, streaming, but yes. Everything is done on the back end, with none of it locally (my understanding, at least).

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 11:23 Jivaro

Playstation Now is going to have growing pains. Provided Sony is willing to stick them out I think it will come along fine. Anyone expecting it to be an overnight success would be an idiot. Pachter thought Plus was going to be a failure as well. When they hit one million subscribers he changed his tune. I don't blame him though, Plus seemed quite rough at the beginning, there was the whole hacking thing, and the network struggled. Sony had to make changes and they worked. All I am saying is that Pachter is making the safe bet now because he knows he can change it later.

Besides, he seems to have missed the point, at least the "advertised" point. Playstation Now is being presented as a digital emulator essentially, bringing PSOne, PS2, and PS3 games to the PS4 and Vita. He is asserting that it will fail because it won't be able to do something Sony hasn't claimed it will do. That makes zero sense.

5. GTA Microtransactions Feb 5, 2014, 11:19 Creston

They were implemented to "milk your wallet for every fucking dollar."

There's a difference, you see.

Although compared to EA's latest 'free to play' bullshit, Dungeon Keeper, GTA-Online is a Saint where trying to milk you is concerned.

My favorite quote from the Dungeon Keeper review:

"In Short: Dungeon Keeper is not a video game, not any more. Instead it’s just a virtual beggar, constantly demanding your spare change and offering nothing in return."

Stoolie at EA: "I don't understand why people hate us so much??"

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 11:37.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 11:05 Parallax Abstraction

Sane world labels Pachter's track record as a joke. And the press who quote him for easy clicks as lazy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 10:50 Verno

Pachter's argument seems bizarre, as if no one will subscribe unless the latest CoD is on there at release day. Sure it will mostly be back catalog games but that works just fine for many other services which are successful. How profitable it will be is a bigger concern, will the cost of running it and licensing content allow them to make any money? Sony has a pretty large catalog of first party games to rely on if nothing else which might help them more than a company like Netflix. I think their biggest stumbling block is putting this together in a coherent package that they can market to people and working on casual adoption for people who might just have a TV as a PS Now client.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 10:24 Fantaz

pretty disappointing to hear MGS:GZ is only 2 hrs long

also Michael Pachter is 'a joke'

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 09:39 nin

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo