Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS

Respawn's Vince Zampella tweets the minimum specs for the Titanfall beta, which will require a 64-bit OS. Here's word:

Min: 64-bit Windows 7, 8, 8.1
AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
512MB VRAM, Radeon HD 4770 or GeForce 8800GT

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 6, 2014, 15:41 SpectralMeat

My DVD drive is installed into the computer but not even connected, because I needed the sATA cable and I couldn't find one so I just took it off the DVD drive.
It's been like that for at least a year, prior to that I've used the DVD drive ones after I've built the PC when I got a new SSD drive and had to install Windows 7 from the DVD.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 6, 2014, 15:32 Verno

I found a DVD drive the other day and realized that it was meant for my gaming PC and that I forgot to install it. I built it 2 years ago.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

37. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 22:41 Sepharo

I've been using the same DVD drive on my last 4+ builds. Last two builds it was only used for the Windows disc. I bet it's still in there.  

36. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 18:53 theyarecomingforyou

ViRGE wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:10:
At this point with all current-gen consoles using Blu-Rays (even the Wii!), we're the ones that are behind. If you buy games on physical media - and you may want to, because they're about to get really big - then it's time to upgrade to a Blu-Ray drive.
Who the hell uses optical drives anymore? I used to have a Blu-ray drive a few years back but never used it, so I removed it to add an extra hard-drive. Windows can be installed via USB drive (much faster); games and software I can download digitally; movies and music are all downloadable / streamable.

Consoles aren't ahead because they have Blu-ray drives - they're behind because they haven't transitioned to digital distribution. With digital distribution there is no limit to the size games can be, which isn't true of physical media. I HATE messing about with physical discs and am glad to see the back of it. I have 1.8TB of games installed with Steam, something which isn't possible on ANY 'next-gen' console.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

35. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 18:35 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 08:56:
Heh, 16bit support... the memories....
Along with dip switches, and looking up IRQ pin layouts too. I don't miss those days, of having to modify hardware physically to set 220(or 240-60):IRQ3/5/7/9 on the card.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

34. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 18:19 Shataan

I don`t mind it being done on the aging Source engine. Just REALLY hope their Texture Artists don`t totlally suck azz at their job. *sigh* I remember back in the day they used to give us MORE, for less. Now the soup du`jour seems to be to give the Gamers LESS, but charge us MORE.  

33. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 16:44 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:16:
Thanks Rick! And no, Red, it's not about being cheap. It does the job for what's intended just fine. There is certainly nothing wrong with it enough to warrant dropping a 100 bucks for no real reason.

Oh good then you'll have plenty of reasons to upgrade then. Better memory management, better security model, less vulnerabilities, long term support and Windows 7/8 benchmark faster.

It takes 35 minutes to install, 15 if you have an SSD and you just got a free key so welcome to the new age

32. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 15:30 Darks

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:16:
Thanks Rick! And no, Red, it's not about being cheap. It does the job for what's intended just fine. There is certainly nothing wrong with it enough to warrant dropping a 100 bucks for no real reason.

Not a problem dude, glad to help out.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

31. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 15:16 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

30. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 15:00 Darks

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 12:18:
Darks wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 10:08:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:32:
necrosis wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 00:29:
Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:17:
Not like I was going to bother with Titfall anyway but why not Vista 64 bit?
Because you deserve to be dragged into the street and stoned if your still running Vista.

Why should I go out and give MS another $100 when this OS works fine?

You got to be kidding me with that comment cutter, Vista does not and has never worked fine. Itís a caching pig, Have you ever just sat there and listened to your hard drive grind to death because itís constantly caching your files? Im suprised you havnt replaced a Hard Drive by now.

There many other things that is also wrong with that OS like being a slow over bloated pig which is why Microsoft pushed Win 7 out so quickly.

BTW Cutter, I have several Win 7 Pro keys, you can have one if you like. Sent you an email with the key.

Windows 7 does the same caching bit. You can turn it off in both. Vista crashes less than my iPod touch.

Wrong!!! It has minimal caching that goes on. Vista was a pig, it constantly sits there grinding your hard drive to death. Donít even place Win 7 in that category. You are completely wrong about it.

29. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 14:42 Redmask

You can be cheap about something you use frequently if you want but you only have yourself to blame when you start seeing products that do not support your old operating system.

28. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 12:18 swedishfriend

Darks wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 10:08:
Because you deserve to be dragged into the street and stoned if your still running Vista.

You got to be kidding me with that comment cutter, Vista does not and has never worked fine. Itís a caching pig, Have you ever just sat there and listened to your hard drive grind to death because itís constantly caching your files? Im suprised you havnt replaced a Hard Drive by now.

There many other things that is also wrong with that OS like being a slow over bloated pig which is why Microsoft pushed Win 7 out so quickly.

BTW Cutter, I have several Win 7 Pro keys, you can have one if you like. Sent you an email with the key.

Windows 7 does the same caching bit. You can turn it off in both. Vista crashes less than my iPod touch.

27. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 10:08 Darks

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 10:49.

26. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 09:15 Parallax Abstraction

DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 02:13:
I'm waiting for the backpedaling excuses when they release it without FOV adjustment.

That wouldn't be balanced for lean.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

25. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 08:56 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:58:
entr0py wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:38:
Aren't all of the processors it supports 64-bits to begin with? It would be a weird kind of stubbornness that would lead you to have a 64-bit processor but expect play high-end games in 2014 on a 32-bit OS.
There's a whole pile of people out there who are stuck in the "32bit is all I need" mentality still. Same as people who buried their head in the sand when 16bit support was dropped.

Heh, 16bit support... the memories....

24. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 08:52 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 02:32:

As I understand it, it turned out okay in the end, just that it took a couple years of patching to make it so.

Yeah Vista had a crap launch, but most of the issues were fixed within a year's time. I've not had a compelling reason to shell out another $100 to upgrade. Maybe by the time I ready to build a new system win 9 will be out and it won't suck.

23. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 03:02 Wesp5

This reminds me of the 6 GB RAM requirement for CoD: Ghosts. Maybe they have some secret deals with MS or hardware vendors ;)...  

22. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 02:43 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 23:02:

I was surprised to find that out as well. I figured that with both pista and 7 as transitional (offering both 32 and 64) that 8 would be the cutoff, and only offer 64...

8 was supposed to be only released in 64bit, but it got changed in the last year of development because businesses threw a hissyfit over it. So now it's slated for Win9, there's a few articles on why 8 was released with a 32bit version if you really want to go hunting but it's damned dry reading.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 02:32 jdreyer

As I understand it, it turned out okay in the end, just that it took a couple years of patching to make it so.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 02:13 DangerDog

I'm waiting for the backpedaling excuses when they release it without FOV adjustment.  

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo