Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman

Microsoft has named Satya Nadella as its new CEO to replace departing Steve Ballmer, also announcing that Bill Gates is stepping down from his role as chairman of the MS board of directors, to be replaced by former Symantec CEO John Thompson. Nadella is a 22 year vet at Microsoft, and word is that Gates will work closely with the new CEO in a new technology adviser role. "I couldn't be more honored to have been chosen to lead the company," Nadella said in a statement. "The opportunity ahead for Microsoft is vast, but to seize it, we must focus clearly, move faster and continue to transform." Here's a take on this from CNN Money:

Many think that Nadella is somewhat of a safe choice for Microsoft. He is personable, and well-liked at Microsoft and within the technology world at large. But he isn't bringing fresh perspective or any outside influence.

In many ways, Microsoft's CEO search was bungled from the start. Ballmer failed to groom an obvious replacement during his 13-year tenure as CEO, and he announced his retirement with no successor in place. The CEO search was filled with leaks to the press, particularly about the desire to hire Ford (F, Fortune 500) CEO Alan Mulally. But the board was seemingly unable to find an outside candidate they could agree upon.

The choice of Nadella seems to be a signal that Microsoft wants to maintain the status quo even though it is a company that many believe needs shaking up.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 5, 2014, 12:32 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 13:19:
He's an engineer who also grew their online services division from nothing to a billion dollar business despite facing large entrenched competitors. I don't see how he's unqualified or something.

I'm not saying he's unqualified, but if you're looking to change your company into something else, picking one of the old guard that's been there 20+ years isn't really how you go about doing that.

Panickd wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 14:22:
Umm... the board had nothing to do with either Ballmer or Gates leaving. Gates has been very public in saying he wanted to take on more of an advisory role and spend more time on his foundation for the last couple years at least. And I'm thinking Ballmer has had his exit planned for a long while as well.

Yeah, and Ballmer quit because he "wanted to spend more time with his family" too, I'm guessing? If Ballmer planned his exit for several years, why was there no replacement being groomed?

Please. They both "left" (Gates is still staying on as a consultant) because of shareholder pressure, and in the end that's who the board answers to. I'm not saying they got directly fired or anything, but there was some pretty strong nudging.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 19:16 BobBob

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 14:01:
What MS needs is to allow the nerds to take over the company once again, and let the MBAs go run toilet paper companies.

You're probably more right than you realize.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

20. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:59 CJ_Parker

mag wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 16:51:
And they made Stephen Elop (the guy they sent to sabotage Nokia, so that they could buy it) the head of the Expanded Devices Division (which includes newly-purchased Nokia, Xbox, etc).

Seriously? Wasn't Elop the dude who suggested dismantling the Xbone division when the nu-CEO race just started? That is beautiful news if so because if they specifically put Elop in *that* position then it could mean that they are in fact seriously considering to take the fucking wrecking ball to da Xbone department with Elop at the controls.
There are definitely not enough tissues in this world to do my jacking off justice if that plan of Elop's came to pass.

19. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:51 mag

And they made Stephen Elop (the guy they sent to sabotage Nokia, so that they could buy it) the head of the Expanded Devices Division (which includes newly-purchased Nokia, Xbox, etc).  

18. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:49 harlock

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 16:24:
Oh, and everything and I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g will be forgotten and forgiven if that Nutella clown shuts down the fucking Xbone division to refocus on PC Windows gaming. Honestly. I would try to crowdfund the most massively awesome blowjob this dude has ever gotten in his whole life if that became true. Like the Houston 620 with Nutella bro as Houston (well, and swap the guys for the gals... or maybe not if he doesn't want to... he straight or queer?).

Please. Make it so.

thanks for the wiki link on that

17. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:26 Shineyguy

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 16:24:
Oh, and everything and I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g will be forgotten and forgiven if that Nutella clown shuts down the fucking Xbone division to refocus on PC Windows gaming. Honestly. I would try to crowdfund the most massively awesome blowjob this dude has ever gotten in his whole life if that became true. Like the Houston 620 with Nutella bro as Houston (well, and swap the guys for the gals... or maybe not if he doesn't want to... he straight or queer?).

Please. Make it so.

Holy shit, someone is a little bitter as well as quite a bit anti-Microsoft.

16. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:24 CJ_Parker

Please. Make it so.

15. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:14 CJ_Parker

HAHA Symantec that piece of shit asshole company. That's gonna do MS real well to have that fucking muppet replace Bill "El Presidente" Gates.

kthxbye Mickeysoft, 'twas kinda nice knownin' ya. Or... OK. Well, not really but even you faggots deserve some courtesy in the face of certain death muuuahahahahaaaa

14. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 14:50 Flo

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 14:01:
What MS needs is to allow the nerds to take over the company once again, and let the MBAs go run toilet paper companies.

That is exactly what they have done today.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

13. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 14:36 Cutter

Yeah, Nadella is a total geek - EE and CompSci - which is what MS needs. He can hardly do worse than Ballmer. Still it'll take several years to see a turnaround so no one's holding their breath.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 14:22 Panickd

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 12:57:
So the Board kicks out Ballmer AND Gates because they want to shake things up, then they pick this guy as CEO.

Ca plus ce change, etc.

Umm... the board had nothing to do with either Ballmer or Gates leaving. Gates has been very public in saying he wanted to take on more of an advisory role and spend more time on his foundation for the last couple years at least. And I'm thinking Ballmer has had his exit planned for a long while as well. He was never as passionate about Microsoft once Gates stepped away. He certainly wasn't going to stick around without ol' Bill to give him some cover.

They didn't want change. On the contrary they're looking for Microsoft to continue walking the path that it's on. They just want it to execute better.

11. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 14:01 Beelzebud

10. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 13:48 nin

ldonyo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 13:45:
The people that believe Microsoft needs shaking up are the analysts that would like to write about a shaken-up Microsoft. I don't hear of any complaints from shareholders.

Seriously?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 13:45 ldonyo

The people that believe Microsoft needs shaking up are the analysts that would like to write about a shaken-up Microsoft. I don't hear of any complaints from shareholders.  

8. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 13:19 Verno

So the Board kicks out Ballmer AND Gates because they want to shake things up, then they pick this guy as CEO.

Ca plus ce change, etc.

He's an engineer who also grew their online services division from nothing to a billion dollar business despite facing large entrenched competitors. I don't see how he's unqualified or something.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

7. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 13:09 nin

Ca plus ce change, etc.

Balmer will commit seppuku on the front lawn at 3. A rain coat, or some sort of protective device against fluids, is recommended.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 12:59 El Pit

Ca plus ce change, etc.

It's a change you can believe in...

...oh, wait! Surprised

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

5. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 12:57 Creston

Ca plus ce change, etc.

4. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 12:44 jdreyer

I'll just leave this little youtube clip here.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

3. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 12:28 Beamer

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 12:14:
They put Stephen Elop in charge of the devices division which includes the Xbox. So that probably means its here to stay unless he's covertly tanking it for a competitor like he did with Nokia.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo