Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS

Dave Georgeson tweets a "news flash" that SOE's upcoming MMORPG remake EverQuest Next will not support 32-bit operating systems: "Another News Flash: Landmark is going to have to be a 64-bit OS game *only*. We are going to be unable to support 32-bit OS as we had hoped." Thanks GameInformer.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 11, 2014, 08:59 BitWraith

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:42:
I really don't mean to freak you guys out, but there's a whole world out there, who are not consumed by hard core games!

In that case, they're likely not going to give a crap about Everquest Next, so it's a mute-point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 12:35 bhcompy

Acleacius wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:21:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:21:
Customer wise, they are cutting their own throat. It boggles the mind at how epically ****** SOE can be, at least half their customers use 32 bit OS. Only a minority computer professionals and gamers use 64 bit.

Can you prove any of what you just said?
No, do the majority of WoW players run 64 bit OS?

Desalus wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:47:
Customer wise, they are cutting their own throat. It boggles the mind at how epically ****** SOE can be, at least half their customers use 32 bit OS. Only a minority computer professionals and gamers use 64 bit.

Half their customers? Where did you get that number from? According to the recent Steam Hardware and Software survey 21% of Windows users run a 32 bit OS. 74% are running 64 bit.

Also remember that this game is being released for the PS4, so they probably came to the conclusion that the 21% of PC gamers isn't enough to change their technology to accommodate them. In the next few years that 21% will likely dwindle to a point that all games will be developed for 64 bit OS.
The numbers are just my experience, good point about the PS4. I see a big difference between a game on Steam and low end mmogs. As an example, the main reason WoW has been able to get their numbers are the low system requirements. It's a bad thing, anytime you limit your customer base in business, especially what SOE has been doing.

Really, what group of gamers is looking for a pixelated WoW builder clone that only runs on 64 bit?

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:12:
You mean a majority of gamers and professionals use a 64bit OS? Come on, going 64bit has been the trend since 2002 and if you didn't see it coming you're either blind, or ignored the writing on the wall. We're at the limit for 32bit, as such there's no point in writing things for it unless it's legacy required.

And let's be realistic, 32bit had a hell of a shelf life. Being that it was pushed into hard service in ~1988.
Maybe I made it sound like I didn't use or appreciate 64 bit? Right, in my experience only hard core gamers or computer system knowledgeable people use or know to get 64 bit. Obviously you guys know there are Win 7 & Win 8 32 bit OS.

I really don't mean to freak you guys out, but there's a whole world out there, who are not consumed by hard core games!

WoW is almost 10 years old. When it came out, it didn't push the boundaries, but it also wasn't playable on weak machines. People still running Voodoo2's at launch were not going to run WoW, and people on 32bit OS's are in the same boat with EQN. Time to get with the times. EQN's specs are playable on middling machines, just like WoW was at launch. So, yea, stop using WoW today as a comparison.

According to the most recent Steam hardware survey, 32bit Windows of all flavors makes up less than 19% of hardware. 80% being able to run it based on OS is fine with me. And 32bit W8 has a market share of .5%, so it has basically no impact on the market as the market moves forward.

46. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 09:19 Verno

I think there's an argument to be made that supporting 32bit operating systems can be a detriment to development efforts and affect the final product but regardless 32bit is dead and buried at this point. You can run it if you want but no one is going to support it going forward.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

45. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2014, 09:15 Rigs

Holy hell, some of you act like someone kicked your puppy because someone else isn't using 64-bit OS's! If I use Win7/x32 and game with that, it's my choice, it doesn't hurt you, it doesn't affect you in any way, so why the scathing hate for it? You game on x64, great. So do I. But there are some there aren't 'hardcore' and just game casually, and in that instance, as with those that have upgraded systems that don't really need a robust setup, 32-bit is fine. Geezus, lay off the Red Bull...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

44. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 03:58 OldTimber

Great so they decided to throw the shitty Clone Wars netcode in which streams everything. Yeah gonna skip this one as it'll chew through any caps fast. Noticed it one night when I was messing around and had somehow used 3 gigs and hadn't done anything but run CW for maybe a hour or so in their construction module. On the otherhand their Free Realms one behaved like a normal MMO with a minimal netcode.  

43. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 23:14 HorrorScope

Maybe I made it sound like I didn't use or appreciate 64 bit? Right, in my experience only hard core gamers or computer system knowledgeable people use or know to get 64 bit. Obviously you guys know there are Win 7 & Win 8 32 bit OS.

Well good news...

1. A lot of people are getting 64 bit unknowingly and still can possibly play EQN.

2. A lot of those other people in the world can give less than two bits to EQN. So it won't matter if it's 64 bit, 32 bit or 256 bit.

Right or wrong, it's their choice and if I buy it, the game will be better for me using more ram and really I won't miss people who aren't there. So I don't know what the worry is here.

42. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 22:55 Mashiki Amiketo

Nah. But your experience must be pretty limited, even at the local shitshop(BB/FS/Staples), you can't buy a ground floor PC with anything except a 64bit OS. Even the junk-o-tron 3000 at walmart comes with a 64bit OS now.

You actually have to specify a 32bit OS now, and it's easier for the named companies to have a unified OS base for troubleshooting.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

41. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 22:30 Mr. Tact

bhcompy wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 13:15:
I feel like I'm in another world here. People complaining about a 64 bit requirement,...people complaining about bandwidth requirements
Nice fail. No one complained about a 64 bit requirement. I simply asked if they would hold their ground because I suspected a good portion of their customer base wasn't using a 64 bit OS. Additionally, I said it was reasonable, but didn't know if their customers would agree. And the discussion continued from there.

As for the bandwidth requirement, it depends on what the actual usage is. In a world of bandwidth caps, if it really does regularly need an active 3Mb connection, that's probably problematic.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

40. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 22:21 Acleacius

No, do the majority of WoW players run 64 bit OS?

Half their customers? Where did you get that number from? According to the recent Steam Hardware and Software survey 21% of Windows users run a 32 bit OS. 74% are running 64 bit.

Also remember that this game is being released for the PS4, so they probably came to the conclusion that the 21% of PC gamers isn't enough to change their technology to accommodate them. In the next few years that 21% will likely dwindle to a point that all games will be developed for 64 bit OS.
The numbers are just my experience, good point about the PS4. I see a big difference between a game on Steam and low end mmogs. As an example, the main reason WoW has been able to get their numbers are the low system requirements. It's a bad thing, anytime you limit your customer base in business, especially what SOE has been doing.

Really, what group of gamers is looking for a pixelated WoW builder clone that only runs on 64 bit?

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:12:
You mean a majority of gamers and professionals use a 64bit OS? Come on, going 64bit has been the trend since 2002 and if you didn't see it coming you're either blind, or ignored the writing on the wall. We're at the limit for 32bit, as such there's no point in writing things for it unless it's legacy required.

And let's be realistic, 32bit had a hell of a shelf life. Being that it was pushed into hard service in ~1988.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

39. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 22:09 Desalus

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:17:
According to the recent Steam Hardware and Software survey 21% of Windows users run a 32 bit OS. 74% are running 64 bit.

? What is the other five percent running? 8 bit?

Sorry, what I meant to say is that of all PC users answering the survey 21% run 32 bit Windows, 74% run 64 Bit Windows, and the other 5% are Mac and Linux OS users.

38. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 20:17 Creston

According to the recent Steam Hardware and Software survey 21% of Windows users run a 32 bit OS. 74% are running 64 bit.

? What is the other five percent running? 8 bit?

37. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 20:12 Mashiki Amiketo

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

36. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 18:51 HorrorScope

Is Soe was to cut off half their customers, it's their call to do so. They are doing the rest of us with 64 bit 4+ gig's a favor. I'd say 32 bit gamer should be thankful they got the years of service they indeed did get. The new consoles as well push this move forward. Few are going to want to do much in the 32 bit world once the consoles hit stride, less small indies.  

35. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 17:47 Desalus

34. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 17:42 Mad Max RW

33. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 17:21 Acleacius

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2014, 17:30.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

32. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 16:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 16:04:
I remember one time I posted a joke here about Windows ME and some guy actually popped up to defend it. This was sometime last year too.
Just further proof that WinME wasn't an OS, but devious software used in mind control.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 16:04 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 14:20:
According to Steam, 32-bit XP/Vista/7 combined account for about 20% of gamers. IMO it's way past time to go 64-bit only, it's better for everyone.

Some people have to be dragged kicking and screaming along with the rest of us. I remember one time I posted a joke here about Windows ME and some guy actually popped up to defend it. This was sometime last year too.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

30. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 14:53 Cutter

Good for SOE. Way past time people were brought kicking and screaming into the 64 bit era. Way past time!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 14:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 11:06:

Anyone who runs XP-64 is a brave, brave soul.
Mark me as a brave soul. I ran it for years, the biggest problem I had was the lack of drivers, beside that it was beautifully solid. As good as 7x64.

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 14:20:
According to Steam, 32-bit XP/Vista/7 combined account for about 20% of gamers. IMO it's way past time to go 64-bit only, it's better for everyone.
Apparently Win9 will be 64bit only, so it's coming whether the laggers want it or not. We went through this same shit with the 8 to 16, and 16 to 32bit transitions too.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo