Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Limit Theory Video

A new video development update shows off more of Limit Theory, the upcoming procedural space game from a one-man development team (thanks JDreyer). The clip accompanies a Kickstarter update with the latest on this impressive-looking project:

January was the first month in which we saw a real connection between the world and the player (at least, since LTP). The HUD is that connection, and with a solid framework in place, the window is now open for a whole new level of interactivity. Having built the scanner gameplay and UI in about a day, I hope I've at least partially convinced you that powerful tools are the key to building a great game. With the completion of this month, those tools - the UI, the renderer, the HUD overlay, the node interactions - have never been in better shape.

Going forward, I can only reiterate what I said last month: 2014 is going to be big. I hope you'll all agree that we're off to an auspicious start :)

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 4, 2014, 19:12 dj LiTh

gray wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 09:36:
Task wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:31:
For the comment about Rebirth. Basically the only thing that would "fix it" is if the Developers literally release an expansion that just redoes the game.

That is what I'm hoping, Civ5 comes to mind as something that has been turned around.

Although Civ5 was in a much more functional and playable state then Rebirth was in. I'm not sure you can compare the two, since ones launch was a disaster and the others was pretty decent

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 4, 2014, 09:36 gray

Task wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:31:
For the comment about Rebirth. Basically the only thing that would "fix it" is if the Developers literally release an expansion that just redoes the game.

That is what I'm hoping, Civ5 comes to mind as something that has been turned around.

Limit Theory, yes please.

14. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 4, 2014, 00:19 jdreyer

Also, Blue went out and dug up a lot more info than what I sent him. Damn, he's a true professional.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 18:53 SpectralMeat

Slashman wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 16:49:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 15:01:
dj LiTh wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:10:
I backed 3 kickstarters, and this is by far the one i'm the most excited about (others being Eternity & ROAM)

I was backing Kickstarters left and right back when this was KS'd, but I missed it somehow. It's so impressive as basically a one man show (I think he outsourced the music). Josh is like another John Carmack. This will probably be early access this summer, but probably won't be "finished" until next year sometime.

In terms of the time frame, I think mid 2014 is also very optimistic. However, the way he is building the game is to get all the framework and background mechanics in place first, THEN add the necessary content.

His theory is that the game will come together very quickly once the underlying systems are done. Since he's so thorough about the back end stuff, I tend to think he could pull it off.
I think middle of this year a little too optimistic but at the beginning of this devblog he mentions that there is less than a year development time.
So at this point I think he is aiming for this year release.
I'll jump on board as soon he has this in Early Access on Steam.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 18:35 ItBurn

I'm a sucker for space sims, so I really like this, but I can't tell right now if this will ever be finished. 50/50  

11. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 16:49 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 15:01:
I backed 3 kickstarters, and this is by far the one i'm the most excited about (others being Eternity & ROAM)

I was backing Kickstarters left and right back when this was KS'd, but I missed it somehow. It's so impressive as basically a one man show (I think he outsourced the music). Josh is like another John Carmack. This will probably be early access this summer, but probably won't be "finished" until next year sometime.

In terms of the time frame, I think mid 2014 is also very optimistic. However, the way he is building the game is to get all the framework and background mechanics in place first, THEN add the necessary content.

His theory is that the game will come together very quickly once the underlying systems are done. Since he's so thorough about the back end stuff, I tend to think he could pull it off.

10. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 15:01 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 14:31 Task

There are some overhaul mods, by some of the well known modders in that community that made awesome stuff for the previous games, that are working on an overhaul of XRebirth. They said straight up, it will probably take 6 months to a year to complete. So basically XRebirth won't be "fixed" for a year or more.

Anyways, this Limit Theory game is looking good.

8. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 14:18 saluk

It's nice to see some gameplay showing up in these vids. I've been impressed by the technical acumen on display, but until this scanner we really haven't seen anything new design-wise.

I think we'll see a lot more of that in the updates this year - the technology is really polishing up at this point.

7. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 14:10 dj LiTh

6. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 11:07 Creston

Slashman wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 10:05:
Pretty funny when I think about this compared to X Rebirth. Wonder if that will get fixed before Limit Theory releases.

It won't. Their patches have slowed down to one every 2 or 3 weeks, and they've now started the wonderful process of patches introducing more bugs than they fix, so the next patch does nothing except fix the new bugs.

It's kind of indicative that they just have no idea what to change anymore and are just throwing shit up against the wall and seeing what sticks.

They clearly have no clue whatsoever how to write a multi-threaded engine.

On a more optimistic note, Limit Theory is looking fantastic. GO JOSH!

5. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 10:10 SpectralMeat

Slashman wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 10:05:
Actually, when I first saw his kickstarter page and saw what he was proposing to do, I figured it was a scam and that he just wanted a quick 50K. I'm really sorry I didn't back it now. Wall2
Same here.
Oh well hopefully he will be able to finish it this year like he says he would.
Kind of interesting how he doesn't take any more money until the game is finished.

4. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 10:05 Slashman

InBlack wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 09:40:
Its so much easier when you are your own boss, and you take your work seriously. With that said, there is a lot of talent in the big companies out there, but like in every other large enterprise for every talented and hardworking coder, you get five latcher-on brownosers that ride on his coatails. Not to mention the egomaniacal bosses, execs, and assorted retards that make everyone's job a living hell and are responsible for the abysmally slow pace of most development companies.

Actually, when I first saw his kickstarter page and saw what he was proposing to do, I figured it was a scam and that he just wanted a quick 50K. I'm really sorry I didn't back it now. Wall2

Pretty funny when I think about this compared to X Rebirth. Wonder if that will get fixed before Limit Theory releases.

3. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 09:40 InBlack

Slashman wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 09:16:
If it hasn't already been said here, then I'll say it now:

This guy is awesome. I am constantly surprised by what he manages to accomplish by himself, when so many other developers with larger teams, budgets and more resources disappoint so frequently.

Its so much easier when you are your own boss, and you take your work seriously. With that said, there is a lot of talent in the big companies out there, but like in every other large enterprise for every talented and hardworking coder, you get five latcher-on brownosers that ride on his coatails. Not to mention the egomaniacal bosses, execs, and assorted retards that make everyone's job a living hell and are responsible for the abysmally slow pace of most development companies.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 09:27 SpectralMeat

I've been following this project as well, looks very promising.  

1. Re: Limit Theory Video Feb 3, 2014, 09:16 Slashman

If it hasn't already been said here, then I'll say it now:

This guy is awesome. I am constantly surprised by what he manages to accomplish by himself, when so many other developers with larger teams, budgets and more resources disappoint so frequently.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo