Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Groundhog Day, as today marks the convergence of two of the Blue Tower's favorite occasions, with it also being Super Bowl Sunday. Word is our local Staten Island Chuck and nearby Punxsutawaney Phil each saw their shadows, scientific proof we should expect six more weeks of wintery weather, though Shipoke Sheena contradictorily says to expect an early spring, and she's not phar phrom Phil, if you'll phorgive the phorced alliteration. I hope she turns out to be right, because the six or so weeks of winter we've gotten so far around these parts have been pretty rough, and some warmth and sunshine will be welcome. Speaking of welcome, yes, the Super Bowl is tonight, and I certainly am looking forward to that, as always. This year's game holds a lot of promise, too, as it embodies so many classic conflicts: The AFC's one seed versus the one seed from the NFC, offense versus defense, the old QB versus the kid, the run versus the pass, good versus evil, orange orange versus lime green ... this one has it all.

R.I.P.: Sources: Philip Seymour Hoffman dead of apparent drug overdose. And Philip Seymour Hoffman's Everyman greatness.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: World's Hardest Game 3.
Ultimate Frontier.
Story: Super Bowl XLVIII - grading the best and worst from the big game.
Media: Super Bowl Commercials from Feb. 2, 2013.
The car we all wanted when we were two...Fastest Little Tike.
Auction: Hasselblad camera used in moon landing to be auctioned off.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 20:52 Hoop

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 20:04:

Guess it is selective? Could have chosen to be addicted to his family and kids.

No question for most an improved quality of life lets us indulge in that brand new car & such shit.
others are vulnerable in the same situation.

Um .. Behind you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 20:04 xXBatmanXx

Hoop wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 16:28:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:51:
RE: PSH.

Whenever something like this happens, I'm always reminded of the line from Blade Runner: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." I don't know what demons he was facing, but I do know that many actors who are as talented as he was, often have trouble dealing with the believable personas they create for their movies. James Gandolfini did crazy things to deal with who he would become while playing Tony Soprano. And no one could forget Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker, especially not Heath Ledger who turned to sleeping pills to deal with the sleeplessness it drove him to.

Unlike many actors who simply play themselves, PSH could create characters and personalities out of whole cloth. It has to be stressful and somewhat mentally unhealthy to inhabit someone you're not for weeks or months during a shoot. So, while this is tragic, I was not living his life and can't judge him for what he did or what he was going through.

You are right with what you say but I believe ultimately it was this simple.
PSH is quoted saying a few years back when in rehab that he's always had a chronic addictive personality, drink, drugs the lot, all out or nothing. Now when you're a student & making your way up the ladder it's cheap booze & other peoples drugs, a ceiling of poverty that limits total indulgence. The guy never changed only now he can afford his own appartment to seperate himself from his family & all the heroine he could ever need, reports are thay found like 50 bags of the stuff up there. When all that money rolled in he must have looked at it like a loaded gun at the time.
TLDR:
Addictive pesonality limited mostly by what you can afford.

Well, he was a selfish prick then. In regards to:
PSH is quoted saying a few years back when in rehab that he's always had a chronic addictive personality, drink, drugs the lot, all out or nothing.

Guess it is selective? Could have chosen to be addicted to his family and kids.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

41. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 18:36 nin

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 18:33:
Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 18:03:
Creston, come on, man. You asleep or something? Pinks News, Chinese New Year, Groundhog Day, et al. all standards around here forever. You know that.

Yeah yeah. Just been half-asleep all day.

You must have a superbowl hangover or somethin...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 18:33 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 18:03:
Creston, come on, man. You asleep or something? Pinks News, Chinese New Year, Groundhog Day, et al. all standards around here forever. You know that.

Yeah yeah. Just been half-asleep all day.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 18:20 Julio

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 18:00:
No one chooses to be a drug addict you idiot.

It all started when they forced that needle in his arm one day...

Not taking heroin is a pretty good start to not choosing to be a heroin addict. I'd definitely say my position is somewhere between where you and Mr Tact are.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 18:03 Cutter

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 16:20:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 12:27:
Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 11:09:
Am I the only one for who today's OOTB blurb is the same as yesterday's?
Blue does this every year
Did you see the movie Groundhog day?

I didn't even get that. Hehe.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

37. removed Feb 3, 2014, 18:00 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 3, 2014, 20:21.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

36. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 16:40 1badmf

been hanging around here a long time and I don't remember blue doing that before either, so don't feel too bad. luckily i figured it out before i posted about it in the comments XD  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 16:28 Hoop

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:51:

Whenever something like this happens, I'm always reminded of the line from Blade Runner: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." I don't know what demons he was facing, but I do know that many actors who are as talented as he was, often have trouble dealing with the believable personas they create for their movies. James Gandolfini did crazy things to deal with who he would become while playing Tony Soprano. And no one could forget Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker, especially not Heath Ledger who turned to sleeping pills to deal with the sleeplessness it drove him to.

Unlike many actors who simply play themselves, PSH could create characters and personalities out of whole cloth. It has to be stressful and somewhat mentally unhealthy to inhabit someone you're not for weeks or months during a shoot. So, while this is tragic, I was not living his life and can't judge him for what he did or what he was going through.

You are right with what you say but I believe ultimately it was this simple.
PSH is quoted saying a few years back when in rehab that he's always had a chronic addictive personality, drink, drugs the lot, all out or nothing. Now when you're a student & making your way up the ladder it's cheap booze & other peoples drugs, a ceiling of poverty that limits total indulgence. The guy never changed only now he can afford his own appartment to seperate himself from his family & all the heroine he could ever need, reports are thay found like 50 bags of the stuff up there. When all that money rolled in he must have looked at it like a loaded gun at the time.
TLDR:
Addictive pesonality limited mostly by what you can afford.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2014, 17:38.

Um .. Behind you...

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 16:20 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 12:27:
Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 11:09:
Am I the only one for who today's OOTB blurb is the same as yesterday's?
Blue does this every year
Did you see the movie Groundhog day?

I didn't even get that. Hehe.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 16:19 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:54:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:13:
What an ass kicking, first play of the game says it all, Denver gave the game to Seattle... not to say Seattle didn't play great. Normally I would have hated the game seeing as it really was quite lame, but for the first time I can remember, I actually cared who won. Seahawks FTW!

I wouldn't say Denver gave the game away. I'd say the Seahawks took it. They caused those turnovers and took advantage of them. They had a plan, and they executed on it perfectly.

Hawks earned it for sure, they didn't miss an opportunity, and they created plenty of their own, but Denver was playing very sloppy too. That kickoff run back should have been down around the 15, they had the guys there, but apparently most of the Broncos forgot how to tackle. One of the Manning interceptions where he was hit causing the ball to go in a high slow arc, the intended receiver was just staring at the ball like he'd never seen one before, while the defender moved in and plucked the ball away. Thomas after actually catching the ball for a decent gain decides he's going to fight for another yard instead of securing the ball against a defense that's been going for the strip the whole game. Opening kick, the Punt returner decides to try and take out from the end zone when the kicking team is already at the 20. And of course the subsequent safety cause the center hiked the ball while Peyton was doing an audible. They played terrible, it was like watching the keystone cops at times.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:54 jdreyer

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:13:
What an ass kicking, first play of the game says it all, Denver gave the game to Seattle... not to say Seattle didn't play great. Normally I would have hated the game seeing as it really was quite lame, but for the first time I can remember, I actually cared who won. Seahawks FTW!

I wouldn't say Denver gave the game away. I'd say the Seahawks took it. They caused those turnovers and took advantage of them. They had a plan, and they executed on it perfectly.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:51 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:29 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:27:
Why so uppity, Verno?

When you leave em floating out there like that, you can't blame other people for swinging

Broncos defense was awful. I know Manning will bear the brunt of the shame for the shellacking they took but it was definitely a team failure for Denver.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:27 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:25:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:19:
Whose moral high horse is bigger, mine or yours?

Your moral high horse is more like a donkey.

Why so uppity, Verno?

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:25 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:19:

Your moral high horse is more like a donkey.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:25 Mr. Tact

Desalus wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:12:
We all know that hard drugs are bad, addiction is bad, and overdosing is bad, so there's no cautionary tale that we have not already learned a long time ago.
A lesson which, apparently, Mr. Hoffman hadn't learned.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:19 Mad Max RW

Desalus wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:12:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 13:12:
The guy had an addiction and died because of it leaving behind three little kids. That's pretty goddamn selfish and shouldn't be celebrated. Normal people look at him as another cautionary tale of how not to live your life. Idiots see actors as gods for them to worship, even after dying of a drug overdose.

Who is celebrating? I don't see anyone speaking up about wanting to emulate his actions. I think normal people appreciate his talents and see him as the great actor that he was. You do not have to be a celebrity worshipper to appreciate and mourn the passing of a talented person. On the other hand you have people who get up on their moral high-horse, like you, and focus only on the mistakes he made and how weak willed he was (thus making yourself sound so 'superior').

We all know that hard drugs are bad, addiction is bad, and overdosing is bad, so there's no cautionary tale that we have not already learned a long time ago. There's no point on fixating on the things that matter least when remembering a person's life.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:13 Yosemite Sam

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 14:12 Desalus

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 13:12:
The guy had an addiction and died because of it leaving behind three little kids. That's pretty goddamn selfish and shouldn't be celebrated. Normal people look at him as another cautionary tale of how not to live your life. Idiots see actors as gods for them to worship, even after dying of a drug overdose.

Who is celebrating? I don't see anyone speaking up about wanting to emulate his actions. I think normal people appreciate his talents and see him as the great actor that he was. You do not have to be a celebrity worshipper to appreciate and mourn the passing of a talented person. On the other hand you have people who get up on their moral high-horse, like you, and focus only on the mistakes he made and how weak willed he was (thus making yourself sound so 'superior').

We all know that hard drugs are bad, addiction is bad, and overdosing is bad, so there's no cautionary tale that we have not already learned a long time ago. There's no point on fixating on the things that matter least when remembering a person's life.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo