Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales

The Minecraft website reveals that Mojang's sandbox blocks game has now sold over 14 million units for Windows/OS X, saying: "So far 14,023,678 people bought the PC/Mac version of the game. Phew." Phew indeed! Thanks GameSpot.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 21:14 ViRGE

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:08:
Just goes to show that graphics over gameplay is not a sure thing when it comes to selling games. Like so many other indie games over the past few years... graphically they look like throwbacks to the '90s but their gameplay is what makes them huge sellers.
To be fair this is the exception to the rule. This is Myst, this is The Sims, this is Starcraft, etc. No other game that goes this route will be anywhere as successful.

Minecraft is the template for the genre and it is the first. A hundred other games will attempt to copy it in some manner and all fail. Having good gameplay won't guarantee a game will sell well any more than good graphics does.

I'd like to know the numbers for all platforms combined. I know I bought it for the X-Box 360 and the Android. Though the PC was my favorite place to play.
At least 40.3 million as of January 20th. 16.5M for the various mobile editions, and 10M for the 360 edition. And this doesn't include the PS3 edition, which is at least 1M.

https://twitter.com/martinlindell/status/425389087168544768

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 17:34 jacobvandy

Jensen wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:51:
Minecraft sold about 800k copies at $13, 3.5m at $20, and the rest at $27.

It looks like the first 20k copies may have been about $7.

The only "sale" they've had on the game is "two for the price of one" for a couple of days around Notch's wedding day.

Add to that 11+ million copies on Xbox and PS3 at $20, and 16.5+ million copies on Android and iOS at $7. Xbone, PS4, and Vita versions are all coming out this year, too.

21. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 16:29 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 16:22:
@Itburn.

What are some good mods?

MadPack - Super tough, but awesome if you're very experienced.
FTB - Direwolf 20 is nice. FTB unleashed too, but it has too many new minerals. These two modpacks are not too difficult and are great if you want to learn the new technologies that you can craft.
Technic - World generation not too different from vanilla minecraft, but has the great technology mods.

Basically, these are launchers. There are several mod packages that you can get from them. You have to choose just one of them. To learn to craft the new stuff, you'll have to spend a lot of time on wikis and youtube, but it's worth it, you can make amazing things.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2014, 16:45.

20. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 16:22 jdreyer

@Itburn.

What are some good mods?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 16:14 ItBurn

jimnms wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:11:
I bought Minecraft while it was in Beta, and I've grown tired of it. I'm not bored with it, I'm just tired of starting over after each patch. I know you don't have to start over, but they keep adding new features to the world, which is awesome that they're still adding content, but you can't get in an existing game unless you travel out past land that has already been generated.

As with most games, it's best played with friends. I played it with a couple of friends when I first got it. We played the hell out of it up until the last beta update before 1.0. That was when they rewrote the world generator and added a lot of new things. We had build a lot of cool stuff and had a rail system running between all of our buildings and mine sites. It was cool, but when this new version came out we decided to start over so we could play with the new stuff. After a few days we quit playing together. I was kind of excited to start fresh, but we did miss our old world. I think it was a combination of missing the old world and everything we built, the idea of having to do it all again from scratch and starting in a crappy swamp biome, the others decided to call it quits. I continued to play alone for a while.

Once 1.0 or so came out, I played a survival game with the goal of going to the End World and killing the Ender Dragon. That wasn't that hard, and I don't see the need to do it again. I started a few solo games with the intent on playing survival and building stuff, but then each time they add some new feature, I'd want to start over so I could have that in my world. Eventually I just got tired of starting over, so now I'm waiting for things to settle down before I go back to it.

I haven't played vanilla Minecraft in... like a year. They BARELY update the game. Mojang is doing a TERRIBLE job updating the game. Modders are doing all of the work. Trust me, play with mods, it's the only way. There are mod packs with their own launchers that auto-download everything and set themselves up for you.

18. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 15:51 Jensen

Minecraft sold about 800k copies at $13, 3.5m at $20, and the rest at $27.

It looks like the first 20k copies may have been about $7.

The only "sale" they've had on the game is "two for the price of one" for a couple of days around Notch's wedding day.

17. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 15:11 jimnms

I bought Minecraft while it was in Beta, and I've grown tired of it. I'm not bored with it, I'm just tired of starting over after each patch. I know you don't have to start over, but they keep adding new features to the world, which is awesome that they're still adding content, but you can't get in an existing game unless you travel out past land that has already been generated.

As with most games, it's best played with friends. I played it with a couple of friends when I first got it. We played the hell out of it up until the last beta update before 1.0. That was when they rewrote the world generator and added a lot of new things. We had build a lot of cool stuff and had a rail system running between all of our buildings and mine sites. It was cool, but when this new version came out we decided to start over so we could play with the new stuff. After a few days we quit playing together. I was kind of excited to start fresh, but we did miss our old world. I think it was a combination of missing the old world and everything we built, the idea of having to do it all again from scratch and starting in a crappy swamp biome, the others decided to call it quits. I continued to play alone for a while.

Once 1.0 or so came out, I played a survival game with the goal of going to the End World and killing the Ender Dragon. That wasn't that hard, and I don't see the need to do it again. I started a few solo games with the intent on playing survival and building stuff, but then each time they add some new feature, I'd want to start over so I could have that in my world. Eventually I just got tired of starting over, so now I'm waiting for things to settle down before I go back to it.

Steam Profile

16. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 15:02 Fantaz

and there's still lots of ppl who don't buy the game but instead only watch videos daily of ppl playing Minecraft on Youtube. it's huge! i wonder what Notch's gonna do with all that money...  

15. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 14:24 nin

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 14:17:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:33:
14 million times $25 is $350,000,000

Been playing it for 2 years now. Still not bored of it... it's far from amazing but really quite enjoyable.

I only paid 10$ for mine back during the beta (or was it the alpha?). I hadn't realized it was $25 now.

Think that's about what I paid...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 14:20 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 13:27:
Still don't get it but good for him.

It's for creative people, maybe that's why.

Pow!

(sorry, it was just too easy)

13. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 14:17 jdreyer

Been playing it for 2 years now. Still not bored of it... it's far from amazing but really quite enjoyable.

I only paid 10$ for mine back during the beta (or was it the alpha?). I hadn't realized it was $25 now.

12. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 13:27 Cutter

Still don't get it but good for him.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 13:13 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:54:

Many copies were sold at a much lower price, but the point still stands.

Wasnt early adoption like....1 to 3 dollars? I spent something tiny amount on it. Played for 5 hours, never went back.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 13:08 Creston

Dayum...

9. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 12:58 [VG]Reagle

Notch made 101 million last year I think.  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

8. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 12:54  Blue 

Many copies were sold at a much lower price, but the point still stands.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 12:50 [VG]Reagle

Thanks for the encouragement nin.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on change. I was looking at our original sign on dates, yours is Aug 25, 1999 and mine is Jan 1, 2001. We have been here a long time together. Despite being a troll by nature, I have really enjoyed this site. I guess I have checked it every day for almost 15 years.

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

6. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 12:47 Esoteric

I was a little late to the party with this game, only starting it a few months ago, but it's really great. Playing on a server running like 175 mods...sooo much stuff you can do, really fun.  

5. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 12:33 netnerd85

4. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 12:22 nin

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 11:21:
That is because this freaking game RULES!

Whoa, you said something positive! More of this!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo