Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales

The Minecraft website reveals that Mojang's sandbox blocks game has now sold over 14 million units for Windows/OS X, saying: "So far 14,023,678 people bought the PC/Mac version of the game. Phew." Phew indeed! Thanks GameSpot.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 18:57 Beamer

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 15:19:
How far away are we from having a generation of kids who have tablets, but not PCs? Do we have one already?

Not taking into consideration one's like or dislike for Microsoft, but I believe that the Surface Pro 1/2 is bridging the gap between the two. However, I don't think that a "pure" tablet, like an iPad, will totally replace a PC because of MOD's (and horsepower as it stands today). My son plays Minecraft PE on the iPad, but he likes me to install MOD's on the PC version as it GREATLY extends the game and what you can do with it. My kids definitely use the iPad for Angry Birds etc, "lite" games, but eveb my 6 y/o can see the value in what the PC can do for a game.

A "pure" tablet is just a bridge, anyway. Its a product in the early part of its development curve, kind of like laptops once were - back when they were 15 lbs "portable computers." They'll keep getting powerful, to the point where companies like Google and Apple have to ask difficult questions about whether their stripped-down, limited OSs still make sense for the product.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 15:19 Undocumented Alien

How far away are we from having a generation of kids who have tablets, but not PCs? Do we have one already?

Not taking into consideration one's like or dislike for Microsoft, but I believe that the Surface Pro 1/2 is bridging the gap between the two. However, I don't think that a "pure" tablet, like an iPad, will totally replace a PC because of MOD's (and horsepower as it stands today). My son plays Minecraft PE on the iPad, but he likes me to install MOD's on the PC version as it GREATLY extends the game and what you can do with it. My kids definitely use the iPad for Angry Birds etc, "lite" games, but eveb my 6 y/o can see the value in what the PC can do for a game.

41. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 13:22 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

40. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 13:17 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 07:35:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 03:07:
I think it's kind of weird that the PC version has been outsold by mobile platforms, and is doing so well on the 360. I'd have thought it would have been a lot more PC-centric, and it never really occurred to me that it would be fun on a phone or tablet.
I have a friend's kid who plays a lot. Whenever he's taken anywhere he is playing on the tablet. I suspect many of the people buying on platforms other than PC, also have it on the PC.

From the numbers, it seems more likely that people who are buying it on PC also have it on mobile, than vice versa. I'm sure the much lower price has a lot to do with it. But still, if I had been calling the shots my attitude towards the mobile version would have been, sure, whatever. Goes to show what I know.

39. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 11:19 Beamer

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 08:23:
I have a friend's kid who plays a lot. Whenever he's taken anywhere he is playing on the tablet. I suspect many of the people buying on platforms other than PC, also have it on the PC.

Exactly, when we are at home my son plays it on the PC, when we are travelling he plays the PE version on the iPad.

I was watching, in the reflection of the window on a flight, someone play on a tablet for a while. They had the most intricate minecar setup I'd ever seen. But he started flying after a few minutes and I realized he had true sandbox mode on - no clipping, godmode and infinite resources. He was just building, not playing the "game" aspect.

I also then realized he was about 11.
With a crazy, crazy track setup.

-------------

38. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 11:18 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 06:35:
Beamer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 01:24:
Darks wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 01:11:
But, I thought the PC was dead?

I'm officially banning every idiot saying this, especially about a game that's clearly an exception to every single rule you could ever make.

So the PC...is dead? What?

Is disco dead?
I'm sure at least a few disco albums were released last year. Its probably fine. Anyone claiming disco is dead, or even dying, is a moron. There will always be disco fans and disco bands.

No, PC gaming is not "dead," but it isn't healthy, it isn't growing, and it isn't nearly as profitable as other platforms. PC profits tend to be grouped up into a few entities (Mojang and Valve being the two biggest), with the rest being split between casual games for major publishers and a whole lot of indies making good money for teams of 1-10 people but not enough to support larger scale growth.

But, for some reason, people think "PC gaming is dead" means "literally no one plays PC games and literally no PC game can make money," so any time a game does well on PCs, they say stupid shit like "oh, I thought PC gaming was dead, lulz."
It's either a deliberate misunderstanding of what people mean, as well as a clear logical fallacy to see Minecraft do well and make this argument (it's almost always made in Minecraft threads), or its just spouted by idiots too stupid to understand what anyone means why they discuss the seeming death of PC gaming. They're not making an argument like "if Minecraft is doing well, other games can, too, and PC gaming is seeing quite an indie revival." They're arguing against a literal statement no one is making.

-------------

37. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 11:11 Mr. Tact

I've only ever played Vanilla. I did do a couple of custom "collect the wool" maps, but they were Vanilla too. This isn't a slight against mods, I think some of them look pretty damn cool. But I like the original enough.  

36. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 08:40 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 16:14:
I haven't played vanilla Minecraft in... like a year. They BARELY update the game. Mojang is doing a TERRIBLE job updating the game. Modders are doing all of the work. Trust me, play with mods, it's the only way. There are mod packs with their own launchers that auto-download everything and set themselves up for you.

They release minor patches about once a month, and major patches about every 3 months. The last 3 major patches have added new bioms and blocks, which as I said, are only available in newly generated terrain or new worlds. It's the same or worse with mods. Any new features added in the world generator can only be acquired by traveling to newly generated terrain or starting a new world.

MeanJim on Steam

35. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 08:23 Undocumented Alien

Exactly, when we are at home my son plays it on the PC, when we are travelling he plays the PE version on the iPad.

34. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 07:35 Mr. Tact

Orogogus wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 03:07:
I think it's kind of weird that the PC version has been outsold by mobile platforms, and is doing so well on the 360. I'd have thought it would have been a lot more PC-centric, and it never really occurred to me that it would be fun on a phone or tablet.

33. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 06:35 InBlack

I'm officially banning every idiot saying this, especially about a game that's clearly an exception to every single rule you could ever make.

So the PC...is dead? What?

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 03:07 Orogogus

31. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 01:24 Beamer

-------------

30. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 01:11 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

29. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 00:22 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 16:29:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 16:22:
@Itburn.

What are some good mods?

MadPack - Super tough, but awesome if you're very experienced.
FTB - Direwolf 20 is nice. FTB unleashed too, but it has too many new minerals. These two modpacks are not too difficult and are great if you want to learn the new technologies that you can craft.
Technic - World generation not too different from vanilla minecraft, but has the great technology mods.

Basically, these are launchers. There are several mod packages that you can get from them. You have to choose just one of them. To learn to craft the new stuff, you'll have to spend a lot of time on wikis and youtube, but it's worth it, you can make amazing things.

Thanks!

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

28. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 00:21 jdreyer

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 21:47:
As a father, I truly appreciate this game and what it allows an individual to accomplish, a "lego" type game where you are only limited by your imagination. I've always been happy that my son (6 y/o) likes to build with Legos, but he creates very cool things in Minecraft as well. Being a lifelong gamer, I'm having a BLAST playing coop with him in Minecraft, it's a fun game, but also a great creative tool. We're just starting to play Survival, been some pretty funny times already.

Ditto. My son is six, and he loves playing with me. Also, with his sister, it's the one game where the two of them never ever fight.

27. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 00:20 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 21:50:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 14:20:
Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 13:27:
Still don't get it but good for him.

It's for creative people, maybe that's why.

Pow!

(sorry, it was just too easy)

Oh, your wife knows how creative I can be! *pow*

Right back at ya.

Hahahahaa. I admit I cracked up at that. Sometimes the oldest jokes are the best ones!

26. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 00:02 [VG]Reagle

Archimedes ship mod is a blast. Too many items is a must have.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

25. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 21:50 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 14:20:
Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 13:27:
Still don't get it but good for him.

It's for creative people, maybe that's why.

Pow!

(sorry, it was just too easy)

Oh, your wife knows how creative I can be! *pow*

Right back at ya.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

24. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 21:47 Undocumented Alien

As a father, I truly appreciate this game and what it allows an individual to accomplish, a "lego" type game where you are only limited by your imagination. I've always been happy that my son (6 y/o) likes to build with Legos, but he creates very cool things in Minecraft as well. Being a lifelong gamer, I'm having a BLAST playing coop with him in Minecraft, it's a fun game, but also a great creative tool. We're just starting to play Survival, been some pretty funny times already.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo