Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Groundhog Day, as today marks the convergence of two of the Blue Tower's favorite occasions, with it also being Super Bowl Sunday. Word is our local Staten Island Chuck and nearby Punxsutawaney Phil each saw their shadows, scientific proof we should expect six more weeks of wintery weather, though Shipoke Sheena contradictorily says to expect an early spring, and she's not phar phrom Phil, if you'll phorgive the phorced alliteration. I hope she turns out to be right, because the six or so weeks of winter we've gotten so far around these parts have been pretty rough, and some warmth and sunshine will be welcome. Speaking of welcome, yes, the Super Bowl is tonight, and I certainly am looking forward to that, as always. This year's game holds a lot of promise, too, as it embodies so many classic conflicts: The AFC's one seed versus the one seed from the NFC, offense versus defense, the old QB versus the kid, the run versus the pass, good versus evil, orange orange versus lime green ... this one has it all.

R.I.P.: Oscar-winning actor Maximilian Schell dies at 83.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Space Flash Arena.
4th and Goal 2014.
Links: Super Bowl questions you're embarrassed to ask your friends.
Christie Asks for Public's Patience While He Comes Up with New Story. Satire warning.
Story: This random guy gets the night of his life in Bud Light's insane Super Bowl ad.
Science: Mysterious undersea “crop circles” finally explained.
Media: Heavy Metal Gamer Plays - Tecmo Super Bowl 2014- Seattle Seahawks Vs Denver Broncos.
A cars worst nightmare. It blends! Thanks The Flying Penguin.
David Letterman - Bill Murray's Peter Pan Flying Entrance.
The Funnies: Then and Now « EXTRALIFE.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Finally! Feb 2, 2014, 23:01 WarPig

I'm old enough that I had a favorite team before the Seahawks even existed. I liked the Vikings because Tarkington was so fun to watch and watched them lose three Superbowls. We got the Seahawks in 1976 and I've watched pretty much every game since then and a good deal of it was really ugly.

It was all worth it!

BEST
GAME
EVAR
!!!!

GO SEAHAWKS!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 22:33 harlock

mass shootings

hows that gun control argument now?

Ignoring

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 22:14 mag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 18:55:
Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 17:12:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:53:

Drug od at 46? Hows that legal argument now?

So if someone commits suicide with a gun should those be illegal too? I am extremely libertarian when it comes to individual rights, so yes, I absolutely think drugs should be legal.

It's funny you should mention that. The majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Countries with much stricter gun laws (i.e. Japan, UK, Australia) have not only lower gun deaths, but also lower suicide rates. Guns just make it way to easy with no chance of reversal, unlike other methods of suicides.

Prohibition of drugs, on the other hand simply hasn't worked over the past 40 years, despite billions of dollars and tens of thousands of law enforcement personnel applied.

I'm for what is proven to work. Decriminalization of drugs appears to work, at least it has in Portugal and in other "experiments." It's a model to emulate. As for guns, I'm under no illusions that we'll get gun ownership rates as low as countries like Japan, nor will we make gun ownership laws as strict as that either. But unlike drugs, restricting guns has worked in other countries to reduce both homicides and suicides.

I don't think overall suicide rates are correlated very strongly with gun laws.

Wikipedia

Japan has a far greater suicide rate, the UK's is only slightly lower than the US's, Canada (with more permissive gun laws) has a lower rate than the UK...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 21:53 Cutter

Wow, that was just painful to watch. I was hesitant on Seattle because they've had some consistency problems. However, it seems someone forgot to tell the Broncos they were in the Superbowl today. Still, Seahawks were firing on all cylinders today. Damn, their defense is insanely good. Glad for Pete Caroll at any rate. Next year...PACKERS! If they can manage to have half the team stay healthy.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 21:07 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 19:45:
Well, we all know Rodgers is the king anyway. But damn, where the hell are the Broncos we've seen all season? This is just painful to watch so far. Guess we'll see what the second half will bring.
First play of second half: Aaaaaaaand we're done.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 20:38 Quboid

I picked Seattle because they seemed like the underdog and because their 'defense' is well regarded and I play in defence. That's a bit tenuous as it's a different spelling and different pronunciation, plus a different football, but it's working out pretty well for me so far.  

- Quboid

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 19:48 bigspender

"Story: This random guy gets the night of his life in Bud Light's insane Super Bowl ad."

Random guy that just happens to be the target audience

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 19:45 Cutter

Well, we all know Rodgers is the king anyway. But damn, where the hell are the Broncos we've seen all season? This is just painful to watch so far. Guess we'll see what the second half will bring.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 19:41 Creston

Well, we can once and for all put this "Best QB of all time" fairytale about Manning to rest now.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 18:55 jdreyer

So if someone commits suicide with a gun should those be illegal too? I am extremely libertarian when it comes to individual rights, so yes, I absolutely think drugs should be legal.

It's funny you should mention that. The majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Countries with much stricter gun laws (i.e. Japan, UK, Australia) have not only lower gun deaths, but also lower suicide rates. Guns just make it way to easy with no chance of reversal, unlike other methods of suicides.

Prohibition of drugs, on the other hand simply hasn't worked over the past 40 years, despite billions of dollars and tens of thousands of law enforcement personnel applied.

I'm for what is proven to work. Decriminalization of drugs appears to work, at least it has in Portugal and in other "experiments." It's a model to emulate. As for guns, I'm under no illusions that we'll get gun ownership rates as low as countries like Japan, nor will we make gun ownership laws as strict as that either. But unlike drugs, restricting guns has worked in other countries to reduce both homicides and suicides.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 18:41 Dacron

Don't forget Lebowski!

Just to play devils advocate, Alcohol, while legal, attributes directly (as in death via consumption not via stupidity while inebriated) to how many thousands of deaths yearly?

Legalize it all, the strong will seek the help they deserve.

*edit*
removed comment

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2014, 18:46.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 18:22 Cutter

This one goes out to Phil and everyone else lost to the needle.

Townes Van Zandt - Dead Flowers

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 18:15 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 18:04:
Don't forget Lebowski!

Yeah, he was great in Lebowski.

That part where him and Lebowski are in the office and he has that laugh, his nostrils are flaring out - cracks me up everytime.

/no no no. It was a bad troll attempt and a shot over the bow. ie: more drugs = more deaths - dryer, he had everything avail to him - he was in treatment.....anyway. Please 1 state in the Union allow everything, and all of you move there. please.

k off to party. internet off - watching game on a delay.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2014, 18:22.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 18:04 jdreyer

Don't forget Lebowski!

Yeah, he was great in Lebowski. He was also a fav of Paul Thomas Anderson, one of the best directors working: Boogie Nights, Hard 8, The Master, etc. A director like that only chooses the best talent.

As for the OD, I'll point out that he OD'd in our current system of prohibition. In a system of decriminalization where the money is directed away from criminalization and toward treatment programs and the drug use stigma is lessened, he may have more likely and easily sought treatment, preventing this tragedy.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 17:43 Cutter

Well said. If everything people could kill themselves with were illegal we'd still be living in trees.

Damn, that's a shame. Guy was an absolutely incredible actor.

I loved him as the villain in MI3....Owen Davian:"You hung me out of a plane. You can tell a lot about a persons character by how they treat people they don't have to treat well."

He really made Charlie Wilson's War. And he was amazing in Flawless with De Niro. Damn, what a waste.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 17:38 Beamer

All drugs?
Meth and PCP?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 17:12 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 16:56 Quboid

I've just noticed that the Super Bowl isn't on the BBC. Can you imagine, the Super Bowl with commercials?!  

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 16:26 El Pit

Rest in peace, PSH. Great actor who died because of his demons. Very sad.

Bats, I don't understand. You think he wouldn't have od'd if drugs were legal?

No matter whether they're legal (alcohol, uppers, downers, stuff that makes Phizer richer) or not (lots of other stuff), people will take drugs, and some will OD. It's not a question of legality, it's a question of choices people make and get addicted. It's not as easy as saying "I won't take xyz anymore", and that's it. Once you travel down that road, it takes a lot to turn around. Best not to start with that stuff at all. No law can stop people, only a good, rich life can. And by "rich" I'm of course not talking about money.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo