Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Beyond the Sideline Football Announced

OOTP Developments announces Beyond the Sideline Football, a new sports management franchise they plan on releasing next year for Windows, OS X, and Linux, with a beta to launch about a year from now. The Operation Sports Website has details on the game and a teaser trailer and there is a new forum and a FAQ for the game as well. Here's a feature list:

• A realistic modern day American football experience with all current rules and regulations.
  • All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.
  • A realistic 2D game engine that represents all the action on the field, with the ability to call plays and watch them unfold, complete with the roar of the crowd and other sound effects.
  • You dictate the action on the field: Set depth charts and develop strategies around your preferred style of play.
  • FaceGen support allows realistic images of all players.
  • A complete box score for every game played in the league during its history, so you can always look back on thrilling victories and agonizing defeats.
  • The ability to sim decades into the future and watch teams' fortunes rise and fall as dynasties emerge, crumble, and eventually renew themselves.
  • You call the shots from the front office: Participate in the draft for your team every spring; trade players; and negotiate contracts with draft picks and free agents.
  • All of the (non-playable) Division I colleges as well as many more, with real players, so you can draft the next crop of superstars every year.
  • A living, breathing world full of news articles from around the league and a message system that lets you field offers from other GMs and hear what your players have to say.
  • Complete histories, including stats, transactions, injuries, and contracts, for all players who have participated in a training camp during the past decade.
  • Nearly 50 tracked stats, allowing you to go beyond the usual numbers and dig deep into players' performance.
  • Each player features a Health Scan that lets you quickly assess their current situation by showing you which areas of their body are hurt, which areas are okay, and which ones are worn.
  • Customization options, including the ability to change team names, the number of teams, the league structure, the league's country, and a variety of settings.
  • Many benefits from utilizing the OOTP code base, like the user-friendly interface, online league support, HTML output, customizable text database and much more!

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Feb 1, 2014, 03:29 yonder

Quboid wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 23:03:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:52:
nin wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:23:
All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.

That can't be cheap.

Yeah. EA holds the NFL license so these guys must obviously be somehow connected to that rotten apple which does not bode well for the whole bunch...

The label 'NFL' is conspicuous in its absence, if they had the license it would be one of the first words in the press release. I doubt they have the proper NFL license but they may have some sort of access. I've known soccer games to have real players but not real competitions - even the daddy, Football Manager, has to fake a couple of competition names (unless you mod it, which they make ridiculously easy to do).

What do they mean by "All 32 real American football teams", are there 32 NFL teams? Are there other leagues? Are there not thousands of American Football teams throughout the country? I know you don't have promotion and relegation like most national soccer leagues but there must be other teams. College football?

The NFL has an anti-trust exemption (just like most other major sports). Further down the list, they talk about "Division I Colleges", so no, it's not college football. NFL is the one and only "real pro" league. And yes, there are 32 teams in the NFL (until they stupidly give LA a team but that's a whole other conversation).

There are "semi-pro" leagues and of course there's "Arena Football" with 14 teams and the CFL (Canadian) with 8 teams.

So, yeah, 32 teams pretty much means the NFL. Or so one would think... But the NFL is also highly covetous of its label and maybe they have a licensing agreement for access to team and player names but not to "the shield" (the NFL logo and name). Knowing the NFL, I wouldn't be terrible surprised if that's the case.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 23:03 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:52:
All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.

That can't be cheap.

Yeah. EA holds the NFL license so these guys must obviously be somehow connected to that rotten apple which does not bode well for the whole bunch...

The label 'NFL' is conspicuous in its absence, if they had the license it would be one of the first words in the press release. I doubt they have the proper NFL license but they may have some sort of access. I've known soccer games to have real players but not real competitions - even the daddy, Football Manager, has to fake a couple of competition names (unless you mod it, which they make ridiculously easy to do).

What do they mean by "All 32 real American football teams", are there 32 NFL teams? Are there other leagues? Are there not thousands of American Football teams throughout the country? I know you don't have promotion and relegation like most national soccer leagues but there must be other teams. College football?

- Quboid

5. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 23:03 Jivaro

OK, don't quote me on this...but I "think" that while EA still has a license with the NFL and the NFLPA, this last season was the last one where that deal was "exclusive". In other words, I think the NFL, NFLPA, individual teams, individual players, etc can all start spreading themselves around. I think....not sure. Could have sworn I heard something like that not to long ago. Maybe someone else around here knows better and can clarify/confirm/deny.

As for the game itself, I personally want something that will compete with Madden in terms of on the field gameplay. A manager program wouldn't be my thing. Fantasy football can't even keep my attention let alone a management game.

4. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 22:52 CJ_Parker

That can't be cheap.

3. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 22:23 nin

That can't be cheap.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 22:22 Quboid

It sounds like Football Manager, but for football rather than football. Football Manager is great if you like sim-spreadsheets and it is fantastically realistic, perhaps the stat-heavy nature of football means it might be even more suited.

I think these guys made Out Of The Park, a baseball sim that is in some manner associated with Sports Interactive, the authors of Football Manager.

- Quboid

1. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 20:16 beaves

vaporware? sounds too good too be true. I'm sure they will be asking for money before its done.  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo