Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released

EA's Battlelog announces the delayed "Mantle" renderer is now available for the Windows edition of Battlefield 4 for owners of AMD graphics cards, though for some reason this comes in advance of the new AMD beta drivers to enable support of the new API (when they're released they should show up on this page). They offer benchmarks to show the performance improvements seen running the military shooter sequel under Mantle, and the following explanation:

Mantle is a new low-level graphics API that we’ve been working very closely with AMD on over the last 2 years and it is a major change & improvement to how we are able to program & use modern GPUs in order to get the most out of them.

Battlefield 4 on PC is already quite heavily optimized using DirectX 11 and DirectX 11.1, but with Mantle we are able to go even further: we’ve significantly reduced CPU cost in our rendering, efficiently parallelized it over multiple CPU cores and reduced overhead in many areas.

The biggest performance gains can be seen when the game is bottlenecked by the CPU which can be quite common even on high-end machines and this was main goal to improve on with Mantle. We’ve also been able to streamline and optimize some of the GPU workload. The end result is that game performance is improved in virtually all scenarios in Battlefield 4 on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 when running with Mantle!

This update is the first release of our new Mantle renderer, and we will continue to provide more tuning for different types of configurations in future updates. Still, we are really happy with the performance improvements that we are seeing with this update and we believe you will be as well.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

15. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 11:02 1badmf

Shataan wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:55:
Ya know, I don`t think the performance that mantle is supposedly adding is significant enough for me as a NVidia user to even care about. If it was dramatic, then yeah. But so far it isn`t looking to be dramatic.

58% isn't a dramatic increase? just from what's effectively a software tweak? ok fanboi, ok.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:56 InBlack

Drayth wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:51:
There was no mention that cross platform was going to be implemented for BF4.. just that Mantle itself is not limited specifically to AMD. It may be though that NVIDIA would have to develop their hardware with Mantle in mind in order for it to work.

Knowing Nvidia though, instead of utilizing it they'll make their own NVIDIA specific solution called G-Antle or something.

Well Nvidia (with help from Microsoft) crushed Glide and effectively killed their biggest competitors back in the day (3dfx). Wouldnt it be sweet irony that they themselves were totally ruined by another API??

It will never happen of course, but a man can dream can't he??

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:55 Shataan

Ya know, I don`t think the performance that mantle is supposedly adding is significant enough for me as a NVidia user to even care about. If it was dramatic, then yeah. But so far it isn`t looking to be dramatic.  

12. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:51 Drayth

There was no mention that cross platform was going to be implemented for BF4.. just that Mantle itself is not limited specifically to AMD. It may be though that NVIDIA would have to develop their hardware with Mantle in mind in order for it to work.

Knowing Nvidia though, instead of utilizing it they'll make their own NVIDIA specific solution called G-Antle or something.

11. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:50 Tim Collins

Well, this does seem legit, Microsoft and Nvidia have some work cut out for them.  

10. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:48 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:32:
So where is that promised cross vendor compatibility again? You'd think for such a big release as a BF4 render update where 70%+ have Nvidia cards this would be mentioned somewhere....

Thats up to Nvidia to implement. Somehow I doubt that will ever happen.

9. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:32 eRe4s3r

So where is that promised cross vendor compatibility again? You'd think for such a big release as a BF4 render update where 70%+ have Nvidia cards this would be mentioned somewhere....  

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:31 1badmf

TheLeech wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:27:
It will work with GCN boards, so 7000 series and up.

motherffff...... and i just bought a second 6950 to xfire :((((

7. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:27 TheLeech

It will work with GCN boards, so 7000 series and up.  

6. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:20 OldDirtyEwok

InBlack wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 09:55:
To anyone with an ATI card and BF4. Does this work at all?

I remember reading somewhere that mantle is only gonna work with a certain type of cards, 7800 and upwards if i'm not mistaken. I have a 5830 and I was gonna get BF4 on the PC till I read that, that's why I got it for the PS4.

5. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:12 Turglar

InBlack wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 09:55:
AMD hasn't released the drivers yet.

4. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:10 NetHead

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 09:43:
CPU bottlenecks? LOL, really? Mantle must only be a play to improve performance for their low end APUs, aka laptops and the consoles.

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

How are you coming to that conclusion from the CPU becoming more of a bottleneck with Mantle.

It seems you've either gotten tangled up in your logic or just want to blast it / trolling.

3. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:04 HorrorScope

What most come here wanting to see:

1: Low-end single-player
AMD A10-7850K (‘Kaveri’ APU), 4 cores @ 3.7 GHz
N/A
720p Medium
Windows 7 64-bit
Singapore
DX 11: 26.6 ms/f (37.6 fps)
Mantle: 23.3 ms/f (43 fps)
14% faster

2: 64-player multi-player
AMD FX-8350, 8 cores @ 4 GHz
AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB
Ultra 1080p
Windows 8 64-bit
Siege of Shanghai
DX11: 18.87 ms/f (52.9 fps)
Mantle: 15.08 ms/f (66.3 fps)
25.1% faster

3: Multi-GPU single-player
Intel Core i7-3970x Extreme, 12 logical cores @ 3.5 GHz
2x AMD Radeon R9 290x 4 GB
Ultra 1080p 4x MSAA
Windows 8 64-bit
South China Sea
DX11: 13.24 ms/f (78.4 fps)
Mantle: 8.38 ms/f (121.5 fps)
58% faster

Not bad, lol to where the numbers really look good they put in an Intel Processor, sure Crossfire to, but still lol. Will be interesting to see what a $300 Intel quad will do, aka what more of us have.

It will be nice when publications that do a better job, pump out some benches.

2. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 09:55 InBlack

1. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 09:43 Dagnamit

CPU bottlenecks? LOL, really? Mantle must only be a play to improve performance for their low end APUs, aka laptops and the consoles.

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2014, 09:59.

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo