Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week

Bugbear announces the Early Access to their Next Car Game offered through Steam and the Next Car Game website surpassed $1 million in sales in its first week of availability (there's also a free tech demo of the game available for those who sign up for their newsletter). They point out what a triumph this is for the demolition game which many publishers thought would crash and burn:

This is an amazing success for a racing game, especially considering our tough road to the success. Along the way we pitched the game to numerous publishers in the hopes that the game would eventually get released. Unfortunately we receive the same response all over again – there were no market for a game like ours. Come on, who would want to race and crash with such old beaters? Well, we would! Because of that we didn’t give up, but instead chose to seek crowd-funding on Kickstarter. However, we experienced another setback when our Kickstarter campaign didn’t reach the goal we were aiming for.

However, we still believed in the game, and we decided to release a playable technology sneak peek. We were literally awe-struck by the great response the sneak peek received. The pre-order sales skyrocketed, and we reached and actually topped our original Kickstarter funding goal in just week! And most importantly: the success showed us that the players believed in the game.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 13:07 siapnar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 11:42:
Shataan wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 11:35:
Never ever thought we`d be paying for demos and Betas. Oh how the times have changed.
Well that is a common miss conception, but you see you are not paying for a beta you are preordering a game and for that preorder in return the developers let you play the unfinished version. If you do not want that then do not pay anything just wait for the finished game to be released.
Yeah, I look at it as a pre-order bonus and a much better way of promoting the game.

The only downside is if companies slack off on the final product, due to the money they've already earned from early access.
This is where their passion for development comes into play

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 13:02 Cutter

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 11:19:
I want to see this tech in a revival of the Interstate '76 series.

Never happen while Actiblizz owns it. Still, a man can dream, can't he?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 12:55 SpectralMeat

Tim1_2 wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:45:
I bought this in early-access on Steam. To be honest, the current offering isn't worth the approximate $25 they are asking for it. Yeah, you get a couple race tracks and a demo derby arena. There are two playable cars.

It's fun, sure, but you can literally play through all the offered content in 10 minutes, and then you are repeating.
To be honest with you most Alphas offer very little from the completed game. People who pay for early access are not buying the game for what is currently being offered but pay early to help the development and get a little taste of the game being developed in return.

If you compare how much you've paid and how many hours of gameplay or enjoyment you got out of it, then clearly you do not understand the concept of early access.

In comparison Elite Dangerous Alpha currently cost 200Euros ~ $270US, what's being offered can be played though in about an hour, all single player.
I don't even want to mention Star Citizen with the $35 min price to get in the game and you get one ship sitting in a hanger and you can walk around and look at it.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2014, 13:05.

Steam: SpectralMeat

19. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 12:45 Tim1_2

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 11:11:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:56:
Unless they've added to it, the early access honestly isn't as fun as the tech demo. Two small tracks, with less environment detail than Ultimate Carnage. I understand it's not final, so I'm just gonna let it sit. I spent way, WAY more time in the tech demo, as it oddly offers more to do than the early access game.

And I still believe they should allow for people to play the tech demo map in multiplayer as part of the full game. We'd invent our own weird game rules, they wouldn't need to do much other than tacking the map into the track list.
There are 2 race tracks and a demo derby stadium in the early access game. Each race track can be raced 12/24 or no car at all (practice mode)
I have been playing the demo derby mode with 24 cars and loving it.
The races are fun too to mix things up a bit.
I think ones it is finished it will be an amazing racing game.

I bought this in early-access on Steam. To be honest, the current offering isn't worth the approximate $25 they are asking for it. Yeah, you get a couple race tracks and a demo derby arena. There are two playable cars.

It's fun, sure, but you can literally play through all the offered content in 10 minutes, and then you are repeating.

Currently playing: DayZ

18. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 12:42 Suppa7

Flatout was fun for awhile. I`d like to try this 1 as well, but not until there is actually a game here. Never ever thought we`d be paying for demos and Betas. Oh how the times have changed.

This game would not have been made otherwise and you can check out the sneak peak.

You all should check for this torrent:

Next Car Game Technology Sneak Peek 2.0 (Pre-Order Exclusive)

Play it and you can see the huge potential for the full game. This game would not have been made otherwise.

17. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 12:40 Suppa7

Now they got the cash to finish the game. The basic gameplay would make for an excellent burnout 3: Takedown type game. They should add slow mo / aftertouch like feature enjoying the smashes.  

16. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 12:00 Dmitri_M

Any tips for improving performance? I realise it's in an early state but this game runs real slow on my system. I'm running a 570m (equiv to a desktop 560). It's odd that Project Cars runs well for me nearly maxed out but this doesn't. It's so laggy I can hardly play it. I guess I need to run it on low.  

15. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:42 SpectralMeat

Never ever thought we`d be paying for demos and Betas. Oh how the times have changed.
Well that is a common miss conception, but you see you are not paying for a beta you are preordering a game and for that preorder in return the developers let you play the unfinished version. If you do not want that then do not pay anything just wait for the finished game to be released.
If you want to help the developers fund this project and a fan of this game or what the devs trying to achieve with this game then it is a good investment as I assume the finished game will cost more.
Then again you can wait for a sale and pick it up etc etc.

It is your choice noone force you to do anything.
The tech demo is free anyways if you want to give it a try.

14. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:35 Shataan

Flatout was fun for awhile. I`d like to try this 1 as well, but not until there is actually a game here. Never ever thought we`d be paying for demos and Betas. Oh how the times have changed.  

13. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:27 DeathMan20

I was looking at this game over the weekend... oooh so tempting I might have to pull the trigger. Nothing really out like it now since most places consider not enough fan base... pssh.

12. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:26 Creston

I'm glad it's doing well. As for publisher saying there's no market for this kind of stuff, well, publishers don't know jack shit about gaming, the gaming market, or really about anything at all besides powerpoint and spamming the shit out of twitter. So that's really not very surprising.

Of course, to them a million bucks also isn't a market. A market starts at 400 million copies sold and can be turned into a yearly franchise. No other game deserves to exist.

11. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:19 Burrito of Peace

I want to see this tech in a revival of the Interstate '76 series.  

10. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:14 Quboid

It's a lot of fun, I bought it after watching NerdCubed's review commentary. I probably won't pay that much for an unfinished game again but is good and I've backed worse projects. Destruction Derby is a lot of fun, it takes me back to the classic game.  

- Quboid

9. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:11 SpectralMeat

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:56:
Unless they've added to it, the early access honestly isn't as fun as the tech demo. Two small tracks, with less environment detail than Ultimate Carnage. I understand it's not final, so I'm just gonna let it sit. I spent way, WAY more time in the tech demo, as it oddly offers more to do than the early access game.

And I still believe they should allow for people to play the tech demo map in multiplayer as part of the full game. We'd invent our own weird game rules, they wouldn't need to do much other than tacking the map into the track list.
There are 2 race tracks and a demo derby stadium in the early access game. Each race track can be raced 12/24 or no car at all (practice mode)
I have been playing the demo derby mode with 24 cars and loving it.
The races are fun too to mix things up a bit.
I think ones it is finished it will be an amazing racing game.

8. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:56 HoSpanky

7. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:36 Parallax Abstraction

I have some issues with Early Access and how some companies are abusing it but I'm very happy to see this doing well. Their tech demo is limited but shows incredible promise. I also know the guy who was the original face of this project from another forum (he's since moved on to another developer) but he was confident in the team's ability to make something great. I can't wait to see more of this.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:30 SpectralMeat

Task wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:22:
Take that publishers.
Especially after the publishers told them there is no market for these kinds of games.
In your face!

5. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:28 Alamar

My first thought was... 'Oh neat, I didn't know this was released yet'... Annnnnnnd it's not...

This is why Early Access is offered ; )

-Alamar

4. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:22 Task

Awesome. Love BugBear's Derby racing games like Flatout. Take that publishers.  

Playing: The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, FF8

3. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:15 HorrorScope

It's blurbs like this that make me smile. As we smack around the big boys with their stupid decisions, it's better than ever when we don't even need them anymore. We have so much alternate development games which are outside the narrow scope AAA's allow, that I don't need the Big Boys to even make games anymore. Their best Devs have left them and are making gamer games, so perfectly fit with that.

Today we get more interesting and cheaper games, mission accomplished.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo