Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic

Preorders of The Elder Scrolls Online are now being accepted on the official website for Bethesda Softworks' upcoming MMORPG through the newly launched Elder Scrolls Online Official Store. There are both physical and digital editions, and each of these is available as an "Imperial Edition," and the physical/retail Imperial Edition indeed contains the bonuses revealed earlier via a leak. There are also pre-order bonuses to be had, including early access for Windows and OS X players, listed as five days for all of the SKUs except the standard retail version, which for some reason comes with only a three day headstart. For bargain hunters who are interested in this, Dealzon has a coupon for 12 bucks off when buying from Green Man Gaming. Here's the just-released opening cinematic from the game, and here are the bonuses that come with all preorders:

• The characters you create can join any alliance, no matter which race you choose
  • The Scuttler, a tiny but loyal vanity pet
  • A bundle of four bonus treasure maps

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 18:31 .Drifter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 13:59:
Quinn wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 04:54:

It's about sworn enenies putting away their differences for the greater good, and join up to fight a threat that may aswell destroy Nirn. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." You know? The line you hear in every game and movie these days.

If you mean by "no sense at all" the fact that they really shouldn't spend millions on this shit but rather put that cash in a game that needs a hell-of-a-lot of improvement ESPECIALLY in the combat, then I can only agree with you wholeheartedly.
Okay. But here's the thing, no where does it imply that they're enemies. Parts of different factions, or anything else. They're simply people fighting. Fighting about what? Who knows. But they're fighting each other, then some other people, and we don't know who they are either except they appeared through a metal skyring. It's not exactly a great cinematic to open with because it provides nothing to those who are new to the game. No information, background, story, etc.

So, at that point it's still a case of "it makes no sense at all." As for the rest, well they probably should have hired blizzard to make their cinematic. :p

To be fair, if you took the narration out of opening cinematics to the WoW MMO and it's expansions, it's pretty much just a bunch of people fighting for no apparent reason too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 17:57 Cyanotetyphas

Great, another lore I enjoy locked behind a Skinner box.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

44. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 16:38 Quinn

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 13:59:

It's about sworn enenies putting away their differences for the greater good, and join up to fight a threat that may aswell destroy Nirn. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." You know? The line you hear in every game and movie these days.

If you mean by "no sense at all" the fact that they really shouldn't spend millions on this shit but rather put that cash in a game that needs a hell-of-a-lot of improvement ESPECIALLY in the combat, then I can only agree with you wholeheartedly.
Okay. But here's the thing, no where does it imply that they're enemies. Parts of different factions, or anything else. They're simply people fighting. Fighting about what? Who knows. But they're fighting each other, then some other people, and we don't know who they are either except they appeared through a metal skyring. It's not exactly a great cinematic to open with because it provides nothing to those who are new to the game. No information, background, story, etc.

So, at that point it's still a case of "it makes no sense at all." As for the rest, well they probably should have hired blizzard to make their cinematic. :p

The trailer is a direct continuation to the first CGI trailer that introduced the alliances. In that trailer, an Imperial outpost/fort/castle/behemoth-freaking-structure gets assaulted by all 3 alliances seperately. It's the Empire against the rest and the rest against the rest too. At the end of that first trailer the 3 elite teams face off and the trailer ends without the outcome. That's where this trailer gets in. The new trailer also gives you the following tip: Don't play rogue or barbarian. They can't hold their own, while a high-elf mage can bring a skyring down singlehandedly.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

43. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 15:02 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 11:16:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 22:13:
Anyway, to my first point - I thought there was a general consensus amongst us elitist here that graphics don't matter...has that changed? Please start your comments with (I have or have no played the game). Thanks.

You didn't start your comment with the proper terminology, sorry

....dick.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

42. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 13:59 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

41. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 12:20 Marvin T. Martian

Kawlisse wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 19:37:
Nighthawk wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 18:33:
So, they're charging $60 to buy the game, and a subscription too?
Who does that anymore?

I really hope this game does not fail ! I would rather pay a subscriptions, than stand another stupid game that pretends to be F2P, but to really enjoy the game you have to fork more cash in that product than a monthly sub.

I dont understand, people spitting on this game, because of the monthly sub. its the real mmo standard! People are just spoiled by those supposedly F2P games.

F2P is great for casual gamers. Anyhow. if this game goes F2P I will just quit simple as that... and hopefully Star Citizen will rock.

So wrong on so many levels--F2P is NOT designed exclusivly for casual gamers. 2nd -some people have severe budget restrictions (obviously you or your parents don't)and just can't afford monthly subs. I sincerly hope you quit the game because that would mean it went F2P.

40. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 11:16 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 22:13:
Anyway, to my first point - I thought there was a general consensus amongst us elitist here that graphics don't matter...has that changed? Please start your comments with (I have or have no played the game). Thanks.

You didn't start your comment with the proper terminology, sorry

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

39. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 04:54 Quinn

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 04:06:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 02:45:

This is the second major CG trailer for this game, neither one of which makes any fcking sense at all. Cool graphics, though.
Yeah, that's what bugs me. It's got hollywood "FLASH" all over it, but no substance behind it. If it had *Xplosions* I'd have wondered if they hired Bay to do it for them.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

38. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 04:15 Denthor

Cool cinematic, well production values at least. I guess thats why they are charging us plebs in au $90 - not even bothering with local servers either.

Whole lotta nope for me - not at that price and really could not be fucked jumping through hoops to buy it.

37. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 04:06 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 02:45:

This is the second major CG trailer for this game, neither one of which makes any fcking sense at all. Cool graphics, though.
Yeah, that's what bugs me. It's got hollywood "FLASH" all over it, but no substance behind it. If it had *Xplosions* I'd have wondered if they hired Bay to do it for them.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

36. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 03:50 InBlack

Kawlisse wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 22:15:

For me Morrowind was the best ever game in the Elder Scrolls series, just the intro music by Jeremy Soule is epic. Anyways I hope my faith is well placed, and that this game will be amazing.

You do realize that those games were single player CRPG driven by a specific character centric storyline that is impossible to do in an MMO? You also do realize that this MMO is NOT produced by Bethesda, but is merely published by them??

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 02:58 jdreyer

Tumbler wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:37:
Eh, checking when this comes out, April 4...I suppose there is time to put this stuff out before launch. Kind of a bizarre launch time, after titanfall, infamous second son AND the dog fighter module in stars citizen? Heh, good luck!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's a lot less overlap between those games and ESO. So, they're probably okay, IF they can pull this off. So far, these CG trailers have not been reassuring.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 02:50 jdreyer

Esoteric wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 18:59:
I'm seriously curious how much that trailer cost. At least a million? Crazy.

Probably 2x or 3x that amount. Remember, they have cash to burn after Skyrim.

33. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 02:48 Stanly Manly

Anyone remember the original Dungeon Siege? Remember how utterly dull it was to just sort of twirl your weapon when you fought, and it didn't have any visceral feeling to it at all? Remember how bland everything looked? Remember how it was like 12 years ago? Now just imagine if someone made a game like that today, and called it an MMO.

For the players' sake, I hope no one makes a game like that, and that no one pre-orders it. Just saying. Don't say I didn't warn you.

32. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 02:45 jdreyer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:02:
Task wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 18:12:
I have no idea what is going on in that trailer, but to bad the game won't be anything like that.
Yeah neither do I. Usually intro cinematics exist to give you an idea of what's going on, happening, why, etc. And all I got from that is: "People are fighting each other, some other people, and then some more fighting..." But no reason why, no intro information or anything else.

31. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 02:24 ShakaUVM

Making people pay $20 extra to unlock a race, on top of buying a $60 box, on top of a $15 monthly fee is like combining the worst aspects of F2P, traditional software, and MMORPGs all in one unappealing package.

If the game was super awesome, I'd probably buy it anyway, but it's actually very bland.

30. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 00:35 eRe4s3r

Most pointless intro movie 2014 award right there.... what the fuck has any of that to do with Elder Scrolls ? Aside from the capital city....  

29. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 29, 2014, 23:03 Task

Kawlisse wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:55:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:02:
Task wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 18:12:
I have no idea what is going on in that trailer, but to bad the game won't be anything like that.
Yeah neither do I. Usually intro cinematics exist to give you an idea of what's going on, happening, why, etc. And all I got from that is: "People are fighting each other, some other people, and then some more fighting..." But no reason why, no intro information or anything else.

Thats because you dont know of the lore and settings, There are 3 factions fighting for the throne of Cyrodill, (the fighting in the beggining) then comes Molag Bal, he wants to drag Tamriel to Coldharbour (hence the anchors)

PS: you dont see Molag Bal in the trailer.

That's true, I don't. Which is why they should have spelled it out for me.

I played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and I barely know 1/10th of what the hell the lore is about. Most of its in books you find. And yeah, I guess that is my bad, I should read into it more.

What I was mainly pointing out though as that many of these MMO trailers are not actually cinematic and immersive inside the box.

28. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 29, 2014, 22:53 Paranoid Jack

Just FYI, if you buy the Digital Imperial Edition on GreenManGaming it's currently 25% off so you get the Imperial Edition swag for the price of the standard edition. Not bad. Though I'm not 100% sold on the game yet. I too only play a couple months tops now before moving on. So I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth if/when I pull the trigger on this one.

And I'm thinking it will be F2P/Micro Transactions within two years. Not sure anyone including Blizzard has what it takes anymore. For those of us that have played a dozen or more MMOs over the past two decades they all got that been there done that feeling.

I'm scheduled to work the weekend again soon. I'm betting that is their next Beta Test period. I never got far enough into the game to get a really good feel for it but I had fun what time I did spend. So I'm thinking I just may jump on that GMG code... it's only good until 1600UTC Monday 3rd February, so don't miss out!

edit: Also ( I got four e-mails about this launch from different sites) if you buy from U-Play the Digital Imperial Edition lands you a FREE copy of AC4 and the Standard Editon lands you a FREE copy of AC3. Again not bad deals... (PC versions of course)

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2014, 23:02.

27. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 29, 2014, 22:17 jacobvandy

Tumbler wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:37:
Eh, checking when this comes out, April 4...I suppose there is time to put this stuff out before launch. Kind of a bizarre launch time, after titanfall, infamous second son AND the dog fighter module in stars citizen? Heh, good luck!

This game does not compete with any of those any more than they compete with each other.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo