Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4

Seeking Alpha transcribes the conference call conducted by EA following their latest financial reporting (thanks CVG). Saying there are lessons to be taken from the troubled launch of Battlefield 4, they plan on learning from this to launch future multiplatform titles like Titanfall, though it could be argued that they may have missed similar opportunities to take lessons from launching previous installments in the Battlefield series. Here's word from Patrick Söderlund:

I'll cover Battlefield 4, and I'll quickly touch on kind of what happened, what we've done and how we're learning from it? So on the first segment, the what happened part is when Battlefield 4 launched, it was a very complex game, launching on 2 entirely new console platforms, as well as current-gen and PC. We were pushing innovation heavily and we're delivering 60 frames per second gameplay for 64 players plus the ability to connect via mobile tablet as a commander into the product, coupled those with some very innovative features in the gameplay side. Based on our prelaunch testing, our beta performance, we were confident the game was ready when it was launched. Shortly after launch, however, we began hearing about problems from our player community, and the development team quickly began to address the situation. So what have we done since we encountered the problems is we were fortunate to have an architecture in place that allows us to adjust and update the game rapidly, and that's actually what we've done. We released multiple software updates across all platforms to resolve the primary issues and game stability has significantly increased. To the final point, which is how are we learning from this? The challenge that we've faced with Battlefield 4 were different from anything that we've seen before with other games. There were different issues that only manifest its scale in the post-launch live environment. We're taking multiple steps to evaluate what occurred and incorporate those learnings into our development process for future products, so we don't experience the same problems again. I would close on the fact that Battlefield 4 remains an amazing game with massive innovation, and we're confident that gamers will be logging on to play for a long time to come.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 30, 2014, 08:55 gray

Roughly translated; We only look as far ahead as the next quarters results. Oh and also, our PR department is inept.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 30, 2014, 07:05 Redmask

Electronic Asshole.  

51. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 22:27 ColoradoHoudini

nin wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 09:28:
"Come back, baby! Baby! I won't even hit you this time! Thing'll be different!

Baby?"

Okay.. I came back, because I know you'll changeOOOWWW YOU HIT ME AGAIN! If you do it.. like.. 3 more times, I'm probably leaving for good. But I know you hit me because you love me...right?

50. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 21:30 jdreyer

BF 2...FOREVER!  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

49. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 20:25 Prez

For me 'Simcity 2013' (a.k.a 'Simvillage Online') was the last straw for me concerning EA. Until they have a pretty substantial turnaround the way Ubisoft did following their draconian and obnoxious "Always-Online 'cos ALL PC Gamers Are Thieves" phase they are dead to me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 18:19 Tumbler

Judging by how much money I spent on bf4 (unfortunately) the lesson they learned is "do that shit again!!!!"  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

47. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 18:09 Jackplug

I think everyone learned a valuable lesson and that is dont buy EA! I'm still hurting from when Dice said were too thick to understand their map editor. Dice stuck 2 fingers up at the community and now look who is begging, All i will say is go FUCK yourselves Dice!

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2014, 18:19.

46. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 17:55 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 17:42:
EA lessons learned:

Release crappy name-brand software around Christmas, sell millions of copies. Apologize, but do the same thing all over again.

Pretty much! The real proof of what they learned will be next fall...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

45. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 17:42 jdreyer

EA lessons learned:

Release crappy name-brand software around Christmas, sell millions of copies. Apologize, but do the same thing all over again.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

44. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 17:34 theglaze

harlock wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 15:56:
nin wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 15:55:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 15:50:
EA sucks... i feel ripped off for buying BF4.

bring back Command & Conquer!

Renegade!!!!!

http://www.renegade-x.com/

Whaaaaat!

43. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 16:59 Task

Ant wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 14:40:
Prove it, EA!

Yea!

I wish for an SP C&C Generals again I was looking forward to playing as the GLA and making sure my workers had shoes to work better-er.

Also 42 comments! This approaching critical mass.

42. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 16:08 Shineyguy

Verno wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 15:30:
theglaze wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 15:25:
The 2014 DLC isn't going to sell well, especially when most BF3 players felt they overbought and didn't get full monies worth of gaming from it. I don't think they've adjusted the revenue expectations low enough for BF4 DLC, it will be abismal.

My problem with the BF3 DLC was that they barely finished delivering it before we got BF4. Hell the Second Assault DLC for BF4 is still "exclusively" on the Xbox right now. Dice can do some good map work but all sorts of business related shit gets in the way.

I say F*CK their exclusives! I bought it for the only platform it should be played on (PC) and own Premium, where's the DLC I paid for??

41. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:56 harlock

nin wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 15:55:

Renegade!!!!!

http://www.renegade-x.com/

40. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:55 nin

Renegade!!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:50 Fantaz

Ant wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 14:40:
Prove it, EA!

Yea!

38. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:39 Julio

Justin wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 10:08:
The biggest mistake was Origin. Should have used Steam.

No real reason for EA to give Valve the money. If you're willing to install Steam, Origin is pretty similar.

EA has taken it's lesson, they'll be launching BF5 next year probably.

37. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:30 Quboid

Prez wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 14:26:
Veterator wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 14:24:
EA takes lessons from a lot of things. They just never seem to remember them when it'd be useful.

How many times in the last 5 years has EA said they were learning or changing things to improve anything? Probably as many times as they've had a big public problem, and it just keeps happening.

When it hits them in their financials and investors start grumbling loudly enough as they have with BF4 I think maybe they'll be a little more proactive in taking these particular lessons to heart. Often the best lessons are the most painful ones.

Getting sued by shareholders for your biggest game of the year being a buggy mess has got to sting. That'll buck people up a lot more than moaning customers who'll probably buy your next title anyway.

Why has their share price doubled over the last 18 months? Is this a correction to it halving in the previous 18 monts and bombing during the global financial crisis in 2008?

- Quboid

36. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:30 Verno

theglaze wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 15:25:
The 2014 DLC isn't going to sell well, especially when most BF3 players felt they overbought and didn't get full monies worth of gaming from it. I don't think they've adjusted the revenue expectations low enough for BF4 DLC, it will be abismal.

My problem with the BF3 DLC was that they barely finished delivering it before we got BF4. Hell the Second Assault DLC for BF4 is still "exclusively" on the Xbox right now. Dice can do some good map work but all sorts of business related shit gets in the way.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

35. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:25 theglaze

34. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:03 Beelzebud

So essentially they even learned the wrong lessons from all of this, because they still refuse to accept that the reason the game was so massively flawed was because it was not finished! It was rushed out for x-mas, and to beat CoD out the door.  

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo