Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Titanfall Beta Next Month?

An image of a poster on French site Xboxygen shows plans for Titanfall beta testing starting February 14th accompanied by another image that indicates this will run from February 14th-February 19th for the Windows, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 editions of the mech shooter. The posters indicate this is a preorder perk, saying preorders will also receive a metallic poster and a t-shirt. The site says they've confirmed this with a source at French retailer Zappos, and say the U.S. version of this program will be run through GameStop. Thanks NeoGAF via Polygon.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 28, 2014, 07:46 gray

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 16:29:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 16:19:
wait a minute...

I get seasick playing FPS games because of the FOV? I could play them again if I could adjust the FOV? Here I thought it was just me getting old. Is there some sort of magic number or is it different for different people?

FOV is only part of the equation, you also have to take into account any "head bob" animations that some games have when you're moving. A setting of 85 to 90 is the most often choice when sitting at a desk with a monitor an arms reach away.

I'm the same, I get nauseated pretty quickly. Using the correct FOV for my distance to the screen eliminates this completely. If there isn't a FOV mod/hack for a game with a fixed low FOV I return it as it's unplayable.

It is indeed a health issue, aswell as a usability one. All games need adjustable FOVs.

I've had my 30" Dell since 2007.

Sepharo wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 02:31:
I must be a super human because I play games with a variety of default FOVs and don't really even notice.

I have a buddy with the same 'powers'. Jealous

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2014, 07:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 28, 2014, 07:09 SpectralMeat

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 02:09:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 21:15:
Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:15:
I have a 32" 16:9 monitor that I'm sitting maybe 3 feet away from.
What do you have?
I've been looking to get a bigger monitor than my 27 but not much available, only TVs in the 32" category or super wide screen 29" monitors which I am not a big fan of.

A quick Google will show you that several companies make 30"+ LCD monitors. Dell, Samsung, etc.
I don't think Samsung makes 32" monitors. Dell yes but only 1 model and it costs $3500?
There really isn't a lot of options out there. TVs are pretty much the only option but I don't like to use HDMI input I want to use DVI. Not many TVs have DVI input to use as a monitor.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2014, 07:54.

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 28, 2014, 02:31 Sepharo

I must be a super human because I play games with a variety of default FOVs and don't really even notice.  

29. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 28, 2014, 02:09 Agent.X7

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 21:15:
What do you have?
I've been looking to get a bigger monitor than my 27 but not much available, only TVs in the 32" category or super wide screen 29" monitors which I am not a big fan of.

A quick Google will show you that several companies make 30"+ LCD monitors. Dell, Samsung, etc.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

28. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 21:15 SpectralMeat

What do you have?

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 19:15 Creston

wait a minute...

I get seasick playing FPS games because of the FOV? I could play them again if I could adjust the FOV? Here I thought it was just me getting old. Is there some sort of magic number or is it different for different people?

Oh Jivaro...

What monitor do you have, and how far away do you sit? The sweet spot is usually somewhere between 90-110, and it's kinda personal preference as to which you prefer. Wide screen monitors do better with a wider FoV, but if you sit further away you can lower it a little. I'm usually right around 100, but I have a 32" 16:9 monitor that I'm sitting maybe 3 feet away from.

If you're getting seasick, you're sitting too close with too small of a FoV.

26. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 18:11 Agent.X7

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 18:08:
After the fiasco that was/is Battlefield 4, I'll be waiting at least a month after release to see how this one turns out.

Every time a customer asks me how BF4 is I tell them "When it works, it's the best multiplayer shooter on the market. When it fails to work it makes you want to destroy things in frustration."

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 18:10 Beamer

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 18:08:
After the fiasco that was/is Battlefield 4, I'll be waiting at least a month after release to see how this one turns out.

Again, that was an EA game, this is just published by EA. They do the marketing for this, and the distribution, but they do not have a hand on the actual development. EA Partners games tend to be, far and away, their strongest releases with the fewest problems.

EA Partners tends to be fairly awesome and is easily the best part of EA.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 18:08 Beelzebud

23. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 17:25 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 17:04:
Yeah, waiting to see on this one. Was a must buy until I found out it was 6 vs 6. I understand design decisions, but Ghosts is 6vs 6 too and it SUCKS.

MW3 was also 6v6, and it was pretty great.

The maps just blow in Ghosts. They're startlingly bad.

-------------

22. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 17:04 Agent.X7

Yeah, waiting to see on this one. Was a must buy until I found out it was 6 vs 6. I understand design decisions, but Ghosts is 6vs 6 too and it SUCKS.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:42 xXBatmanXx

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 14:53:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 13:58:
Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 11:09:
Wow, a whole FIVE days of Beta?

It's all EA's fault Laugh

I bet they haven't even put in a FOV adjustment for the PC version.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a few graphics options, fov included. It's the source engine, after all. I'd guess valve has been very cooperative with the development of this game.

The 360 version is almost guaranteed to be the most stable. That's where they're hoping to make their hay.

That is a no brainer - it is 6v6! Game is 100% made around the limitations of the consoles.

Yea, 90-96 if the game was setup correctly and doesn't fisheye.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:38 eRe4s3r

wait a minute...

There is no magic number per sť, screen size and distance to your eyes dictate what the "optimal" fov for you is. And yes, wrong fov is why you get seasick.

I use 90 whenever I can. But I've seen games where substantial headbob causes issues too. Brink for example was unplayable for me.

I had hoped we had this issue behind us. Stupid developers need to learn, and if they don't, they deserve a major shit-storm.

19. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:34 Beamer

wait a minute...

It's the same for people, depends on where you sit.

Think of a monitor like a window. The closer you are to a window, the wider your field of view beyond it.

-------------

18. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:29 DangerDog

wait a minute...

FOV is only part of the equation, you also have to take into account any "head bob" animations that some games have when you're moving. A setting of 85 to 90 is the most often choice when sitting at a desk with a monitor an arms reach away.

17. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:27 DangerDog

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 16:06:
FOV is not a design choice

It's a design choice in so much as it's designed for consoles and PC versions are an afterthought. I'm hoping they're not going to neglect the PC but these are the same guys who made Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 I assume.

16. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:19 Jivaro

wait a minute...

15. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:08 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 16:06:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 15:25:

I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a few graphics options, fov included. It's the source engine, after all. I'd guess valve has been very cooperative with the development of this game.

The 360 version is almost guaranteed to be the most stable. That's where they're hoping to make their hay.

Not having a FOV adjustment is a design decision, not a graphic engine one. If they designed all the assets around 65 fov and setting it higher breaks the animations where you can see into parts of the arms or gun animations then it won't be a quick fix to add in a patch. They also have pre-scripted animations for getting into titans and what not, all of which could break if you set the fov to 90. We'll see, I'll wait for an official announcement on PC specific bells and whistles.

...... seriously? After years of debates you still bring this up?

FOV is not a design choice, wrong fov is a health issue and FOV is dynamic. Fov is not a fucking constant. The closer you get to a screen, the larger the FOV needs to be. All you said is of course correct, FOV makes first person animations tricky but wrong fov makes people sick. And I rather have glitchy animation than headaches and dizziness.

And all that is completely irrelevant anyway, because this is a console shooter. So it will suck.

A lot of people fight this on both sides (with many often pointing to console FOV as a sign of weakness, rather than a necessity), but yes, FOV is a neurological thing. You can get used to the wrong FOV, but you shouldn't have to.

-------------

14. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 16:06 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 15:25:

Not having a FOV adjustment is a design decision, not a graphic engine one. If they designed all the assets around 65 fov and setting it higher breaks the animations where you can see into parts of the arms or gun animations then it won't be a quick fix to add in a patch. They also have pre-scripted animations for getting into titans and what not, all of which could break if you set the fov to 90. We'll see, I'll wait for an official announcement on PC specific bells and whistles.

...... seriously? After years of debates you still bring this up?

FOV is not a design choice, wrong fov is a health issue and FOV is dynamic. Fov is not a fucking constant. The closer you get to a screen, the larger the FOV needs to be. All you said is of course correct, FOV makes first person animations tricky but wrong fov makes people sick. And I rather have glitchy animation than headaches and dizziness.

And all that is completely irrelevant anyway, because this is a console shooter. So it will suck.

13. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 27, 2014, 15:27 Techie714 ©

@Beamer

Thanks, you are correct.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >