Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 19:11 harlock

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 18:55:
Killswitch wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 00:49:
Redmask wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 23:16:
Vaccination does not cause autism, there is literally no science to support it

Until the cause of autism is found, I think it's a bit brash to rule out vaccinations as a cause. If someone is genetically predisposed to autism, the precipitating factor may very well be the introduction of the vaccine during a particular period of brain development.

sometimes you have shitty luck and are powerless to change the situation.

Seems a bit contradictory. If you believe in science, then there's no such thing as luck.

Uh, Chaos Theory? Yeah. Luck IS science.

holomovement

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 18:55 Agent.X7

Until the cause of autism is found, I think it's a bit brash to rule out vaccinations as a cause. If someone is genetically predisposed to autism, the precipitating factor may very well be the introduction of the vaccine during a particular period of brain development.

Seems a bit contradictory. If you believe in science, then there's no such thing as luck.

Uh, Chaos Theory? Yeah. Luck IS science.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 16:24 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 13:13:
We also use a lot of plastics to house and store our food and drink, either before it gets to us, or after it gets in our homes. I've wondered about that.

Wonder no longer.

I replaced all the plastic tupperware in my house with glass many years ago.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 16:07 jdreyer

Given all the studies done that have concluded there's no correlation or cause of autism from vaccinations, actually, yeah, I think it's NOT brash to rule it out. Nothing is certain in science, but vaccines as a cause of autism have been essentially ruled out after literally hundreds of studies and investigations.

Genetic mutation is science. It's also random chance. Thus, luck.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 15:52 Mr. Tact

Never heard of Banshee prior to this, looks interesting. I'll put it on the list for when it gets to season four or so...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 15:29 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 23:08:
Heh, my broshack's wife is a Naturopathic MD. It's always comical when she rails against the establishment with our good pal who's an actual real physician. He rolls his eyes, let's her drone on for a while, then proceeds to dismantle everything she just said.

However, there is something going on. Austim never used to be this high not even close. Now the CDC says it's almost 1 in 50 kids! Just 15 years ago it was 1 in 10,000! Prior to that virtually unheard of until the 1970s. And peanut allergies? Did any of you guys know anyone with a peanut allergy growing up? I didn't. Same thing up until about 20 years ago it didn't really exist. Now it's lethal for a lot of kids to eat a freakin' peanut. General pollution? Something in the water? Radiation? I dunno' what or why but something is most definitely afoot that is not normal.

As a child in the 70s, I remember kids with peanut allergies. We couldn't bring peanut butter sammiches to school as a result. Luckily, they've mostly figured out what causes it. First, nut proteins are complex and hard to digest, so you don't give them to infants. Second, the process of dry roasting, which is the primary way of cooking peanuts in the west, creates a hyper-allergenic product. Places like Thailand that eat a lot of peanuts, but boil them, have much lower incidence of peanut allergies. To prevent this the rule is: no nuts before one year of age, and no peanuts until 3.

As for autism, one thing I've heard is that in the past it wasn't diagnosed as much as it is today. But that can't account for all the difference. But I can take some guesses: the air is full of all kinds of pollutants that didn't exist when we were young, the water supply now has trace elements of all kinds of medicines people have consumed and excreted which have failed to break down, our produce is grown with various pesticides and herbicides, our meat is grown with antibiotics and growth hormones, etc. etc. Much of these are poorly studied singly, never mind in combination.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 13:48 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 13:13:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 12:30:
However, there is something going on. Austim never used to be this high not even close. Now the CDC says it's almost 1 in 50 kids! Just 15 years ago it was 1 in 10,000! Prior to that virtually unheard of until the 1970s. And peanut allergies? Did any of you guys know anyone with a peanut allergy growing up? I didn't. Same thing up until about 20 years ago it didn't really exist. Now it's lethal for a lot of kids to eat a freakin' peanut. General pollution? Something in the water? Radiation? I dunno' what or why but something is most definitely afoot that is not normal.

fast food? drugs in meat and milk? etc etc etc. Our food is assaulted by chemicals! Doctors liberally applying drugs to EVERYONE. I thnk there are correlations that need to be looked at.

We also use a lot of plastics to house and store our food and drink, either before it gets to us, or after it gets in our homes. I've wondered about that.

Yup, we have been swapping out a fair amount with glass. Going back to old school baby!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 13:13 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 12:30:

fast food? drugs in meat and milk? etc etc etc. Our food is assaulted by chemicals! Doctors liberally applying drugs to EVERYONE. I thnk there are correlations that need to be looked at.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 12:30 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 09:31 Redmask

Banshee is a weird show because morally you know you should hate almost every character but there is just something compelling about the often absurd plot. It's a very cleverly disguised male genre show with better writing than it deserves. It's the male answer to ABC womens network bullshit.

Between that and Strike Back I find myself hoping for Cinemax action shows.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 08:56  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 13:07:
I'll give Banshee a try, hopefully it has some cute chicks!

I typically only watch a show if there is a strong female lead. Orphan Black was really good, it surprised me. I can't believe Tatiana plays 6 or so different characters so convincingly. Extremely well written and acted thriller.

Not a chance you'll be disappointed in that regard. Banshees's very strong female lead is very attractive, but the other three female regulars make her seem plain by comparison. And they just introduced a new character who's also extremely pretty, so she may end up a regular.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 07:51 Hoop

Yeah yeah I'm sure it would have been a tense stage play type movie Quentin, right up until everyone breaks out their personal stash of weapons & spray's the set with more ammo than all that used in both world wars.
Django was amazing with brilliant performances & then the splatter fest. I could not believe he did that to his actors & insists on insulting his audience with what is now becoming completely satirical & just sad. What is he fucking nine.

Um .. Behind you...

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 01:17 robdot

vaccines dont cause autism.
Event horizons are relative.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 01:04 Redmask

On a personal level it is easier for some individuals to believe in luck which is really just a term describing a random set of circumstances that leads to an outcome. It is no way contradictory when you take it in the full context instead of picking apart a single sentence.

Until the cause of autism is found, I think it's a bit brash to rule out vaccinations as a cause

I didn't rule it out, I said there's no science to support it. If you have something to post that says otherwise and isn't from a discredited study from a disgraced doctor then I'm all ears.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 00:49 Killswitch

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 00:09 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 21:48:
My wife's best friend has a child with severe autism and she blames it on everything from vaccinations to gluten in food products. She swears she has reams of materials from alternative medicine doctors that proves vaccinations cause autism. I just kind of change the subject when she starts talking about how regular doctors are in kahoots with big pharm and the FDA in keeping it secret. I mean what can I say to someone who honestly believes that?

I remember some guy on here thought that and got taken apart by a bunch of us. Vaccination does not cause autism, there is literally no science to support it and you can tell her she might as well believe the boogeyman did it. People just need something to blame so they latch onto anything because then it gives them an enemy to fight instead of facing reality that sometimes you have shitty luck and are powerless to change the situation.

That and a great many parents have guilt. They shouldn't but they do. I have a type of epilepsy. There is nothing in my genes or medical history that you can point a finger at and say "that did it". My mom, to this day, has a lot of guilt stored up....as if there was something she could have done or changed to make it not happen. Fortunately she hasn't felt so guilty as to blindly start believing in conspiracy theories and unscrupulous people that take advantage of those people that are desperate for answers. (Jenny McCarthy for example)

It's a treacherous world out there when there are so many unknowns. From doctors to snake oil salesman, there are a bunch of assholes that take advantage of vulnerable people and it can be hard to tell who is for real and who is scamming you or looking for their next lab rat. Sorting through it isn't as easy as checking for a degree because some of the folks with degrees are just as shady as any locked up street criminal, perhaps more. Unfortunately, some people seem all to willing to be taken advantage of in their desperate search for something or someone to blame.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2014, 23:16 Redmask

My wife's best friend has a child with severe autism and she blames it on everything from vaccinations to gluten in food products. She swears she has reams of materials from alternative medicine doctors that proves vaccinations cause autism. I just kind of change the subject when she starts talking about how regular doctors are in kahoots with big pharm and the FDA in keeping it secret. I mean what can I say to someone who honestly believes that?

I remember some guy on here thought that and got taken apart by a bunch of us. Vaccination does not cause autism, there is literally no science to support it and you can tell her she might as well believe the boogeyman did it. People just need something to blame so they latch onto anything because then it gives them an enemy to fight instead of facing reality that sometimes you have shitty luck and are powerless to change the situation.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2014, 23:08 Cutter

Heh, my broshack's wife is a Naturopathic MD. It's always comical when she rails against the establishment with our good pal who's an actual real physician. He rolls his eyes, let's her drone on for a while, then proceeds to dismantle everything she just said.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2014, 22:24 xXBatmanXx

Other than the fact that you tube will show you even new borns show signs of autism within hours of coming out of the womb.....

Frustrating people won't admit they were the problem, they were the cause, and their genetics (and most likely their diet) made the child the way they are.

My child is 4 mnoths old, all vaccinations on board. All signs point to the being normal from BEFORE getting vaccinations and he has shown no signs of any defecit after getting vaccinations on board.

IT IS GENETICS.....ugh. Sorry - I have researched this stuff extensively, have many family members who are doctors, nurses, and an aunt who watches our child 1-3x a week who is a retired director of the special ed department of a school....."makes my blood boil" when people want to place blame for their child's problems ANYWHERE BUT SQUARE ON THEIR OWN SHOULDERS. Some of us are dealt shitty cards.....that is just the way it goes.

Autism has a correlation with parents use of:
Drugs, recreational drugs, narcotics, prescribed medications, poor diet, alcohol use, and genetics.

99.9% of the time it is in the womb. External factors are RARE.

I mean what can I say to someone who honestly believes that?

"Fuck off and educate yourself".

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2014, 21:52 nin

Reminds me of the by marriage in-law that once brought up the topic of alien abduction at the dinner table at thanksgiving. I was trying desperately not to shoot pop out my nose, as others tried to quickly steer the conversation in a new direction.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo