Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast

The Bethesda Blog reveals the star-studded voice cast for The Elder Scrolls Online, their upcoming MMORPG. Here's word: "The Elder Scrolls® Online ensemble includes Academy Award nominee John Cleese ('A Fish Called Wanda,' 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'), Golden Globe winner Bill Nighy ('Pirates of the Caribbean'), Kate Beckinsale ('The Aviator,' 'Pearl Harbor'), Alfred Molina ('Spider-Man 2') and Golden Globe nominees Michael Gambon ('Harry Potter'), and Malcolm McDowell ('A Clockwork Orange'). In addition, Lynda Carter ('Wonder Woman') returns to the Elder Scrolls series to reprise her role from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim."

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 25, 2014, 18:11 Veterator

Guess I should have been really specific and said in MMOs. But I just figured it'd be given since it was in a thread about voice acting in an MMO.

I'll use SWTOR as a really good example of it. It was interesting for a bit. Then if you grouped, you had people waiting around on you if you stopped to listen. Or people who'd keep you waiting after you heard the dialog half a dozen times yourself.

If you made another char on the same side, after one zone you ended up with the same dialog as every other char on that side. The only variations were your class specific quests assuming you didn't roll the same class twice.

Or when they did char wipes and I made another guy, I skipped all the dialog until I got back to my level I was before wipe.

They spent stupid amounts of money to get these voice actors, spent loads of time on it.....and I only listened to it once, twice at most. On the other hand, you have content you repeat all the time. Dungeons, zones, etc that could have had that money put into expanding on them. Lots of people skipped the dialog like I did. It was a joke after awhile for people due to how unimpressive SWTOR was given it's astounding budget numbers.

I don't find it untrue at all.

Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 11:18:
Veterator wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 10:41:
Voice acting in games is fun the first or second time you hear it, then after that it's either skipped or annoying.

That's probably the least true thing I'm going to read on here all day. It's 2014 - character is a part of games. One of the reasons Valve is likely struggling so much with HL3 is that, while a silent protagonist made perfect sense in 1998, it would be baffling now.

I mentioned in another thread that I'd buy a PS4 for Uncharted alone. And I'll say with 100% certainty that's due to the voice acting. Fantastic voice acting (and writing) raises any game. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone with some iffy combat thrown in, but the main character is just a ton of fun, due to having very charismatic acting behind him.

Few people tune it out, skip it, or find it annoying. In fact, I doubt anyone really has since the days of Warcraft 2, when "Join the Navy they said..." was hysterical the first time you heard it and aggravating the hundred thousandth time. But things don't repeat anymore, outside of bad design, so it should neither be skipped nor annoying.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 11:27 KS

Voice acting in games is fun the first or second time you hear it, then after that it's either skipped or annoying.

Captain Picard: "Go get me a dragon horn and I will make you a sweet sword!"

"Ok, let's go kill this thing so the tank can upgrade his wiffle bat by 5%."

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 11:20 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 11:12:
nin wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 11:06:
Bethesda hires a bunch of no-names for Skyrim (with a few exceptions), get lambasted for having wooden and sucky voice acting.

I felt like Skyrim was a great improvement, voice wise, from previous games. It actually felt like there as more than 2-3 people doing every single voice in the game.

I had no problem with the voice acting in Skyrim whatsoever. Yeah, there was overlap, but eh. And the quirky accents actually made me feel as if I was far removed from the center of the Empire.

(SKYRIM = AWKINSAW!)

I had no problem in Oblivion, somehow. Outside of beggars going from kooks in one line to shakespear in the next, I found the repetitive oddly soothing. Familiar. Comforting. Can't describe it, and maybe that was Stockholm Syndrome, but almost all the default actors were pretty decent. Sean Bean was actually one of the worst, I felt.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 11:18 Beamer

That's probably the least true thing I'm going to read on here all day. It's 2014 - character is a part of games. One of the reasons Valve is likely struggling so much with HL3 is that, while a silent protagonist made perfect sense in 1998, it would be baffling now.

I mentioned in another thread that I'd buy a PS4 for Uncharted alone. And I'll say with 100% certainty that's due to the voice acting. Fantastic voice acting (and writing) raises any game. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone with some iffy combat thrown in, but the main character is just a ton of fun, due to having very charismatic acting behind him.

Few people tune it out, skip it, or find it annoying. In fact, I doubt anyone really has since the days of Warcraft 2, when "Join the Navy they said..." was hysterical the first time you heard it and aggravating the hundred thousandth time. But things don't repeat anymore, outside of bad design, so it should neither be skipped nor annoying.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 11:12 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 11:06:
Bethesda hires a bunch of no-names for Skyrim (with a few exceptions), get lambasted for having wooden and sucky voice acting.

I felt like Skyrim was a great improvement, voice wise, from previous games. It actually felt like there as more than 2-3 people doing every single voice in the game.

I had no problem with the voice acting in Skyrim whatsoever. Yeah, there was overlap, but eh. And the quirky accents actually made me feel as if I was far removed from the center of the Empire.

(SKYRIM = AWKINSAW!)

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 11:06 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 10:57 Creston

Bethesda hires Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart for Oblivion, get lambasted for spending way too much on irrelevantly famous people.

Rolleyes

You can't have it both ways, people. The famous voice actors cost a lot of money too, unless you think that Jennifer Hale or WhathisFace North still work for a sandwich and a half-gallon of milk.

So you either get people that do the role justice, or you get people that really aren't that great. The first one costs more money than the latter.

(I will agree that there's still way too much overlap from voices, but on the flipside, if they literally had every single character voiced by someone else their budget would start to look like Rockstar's.)

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 10:41 Veterator

I think a lot of these game devs just hire these famous people so they can hang out with them. And get the added benefit of mentioning what an outrageous amount of money they spent on development of the game...in which more than half was spent on voice acting and marketing....which........kinda sounds like they got their priorities backwards to me.

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 08:40 Darks

Spektr wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 08:02:
I think I did recognise cleese's voice in the beta. What is it with Adele? do you want to inspect her wares? :p

Nope, he’s the guy that you meet in the beginning, the guy siting playing the lute and gives you info on a second way in.

Kate Beckinsale is the Queens voice. I haven’t found the others yet in the game.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 08:27 avianflu

now we know where the monthly price is going towards.  

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 08:02 Spektr

I think I did recognise cleese's voice in the beta. What is it with Adele? do you want to inspect her wares? :p  

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 07:55 Fletch

John Cleese? Check. Malcolm McDowell? Check. Hmmm... Kate Beckinsale asking "would you like to inspect my wares?"... I'm not sure I'd recognize Kate Beckinsale's voice. And, unless I could actually see her somehow, you could have any limey chick reading her lines. I wouldn't know the difference. Now, Adele would make an excellent shopkeeper (or street whore).  

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 04:16 InBlack

McDowell is the Man! Also I loved the voice actors of both Oblivion and Skyrim. Obviously Im talking about the main NPCs here, as the random NPCs would kind of grate after a while. Still I liked the fact that Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica is General Tulius!!

In any case ES:O is going to turn out shit. And no amount of voiceover talent will save that cookie cutter piece of shit MMO.

Bring on the next in house single-player ES game! Bring it!

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 03:41 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 02:14:
Hell, not only would most do it for scale. There's probably no shortage of people who'd do it for lunch and busfare.
Heck, one of my favorite voice actors in Broken Age paid Double Fine a lot of money to be in the game!

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 02:36 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 02:14:
Hell, not only would most do it for scale. There's probably no shortage of people who'd do it for lunch and busfare.

Yes, but would they be GOOD? I think it's stupid to pay for name actors, but you can get great professional voice actors for a fifth or tenth the cost of name actors. Also, too: a great screen actor does not a great voice actor make, although most of the ones they're hiring happen to be great stage actors so it's less of an issue here (Cleese, Nighy, Gambon, & McDowell).

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 02:14 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 02:10 ViRGE

Longswd wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 01:01:
I too would like to see better variety as opposed to a (perceived) better quality.

Do they not have colleges near their recording studio? Do those colleges not have drama courses? A few flyers and local ads could go a long ways here. This would also have the added good karma of sending some money the way of people who actually need it as well.

You don't even have to stoop that low. There's no shortage of professional VAs in Hollywood and Vancouver, BC.

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 01:04 Shataan

Tbh I`d rather have a working co op mode for Skyrim. The vids showing this games online portion look like shiz you`d see in WoW. Think Leeroy Jenkins here. I doubt I am alone in this regard.

The nice thing about the A.I. is.... they always act incharacter.

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 01:01 Longswd

I too would like to see better variety as opposed to a (perceived) better quality.

Do they not have colleges near their recording studio? Do those colleges not have drama courses? A few flyers and local ads could go a long ways here. This would also have the added good karma of sending some money the way of people who actually need it as well.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 23, 2014, 23:12 Stanly Manly

If only they had put this money into something worthwhile. Like, you know, making a game not suck.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo