Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The nasty weather yesterday inspired me to cook up something in the kitchen I'd been considering for a long time: I made a Monte Cristo sandwich using some of my chili as the meat. So from bottom to top, this was: butter, rye bread, Swiss cheese, chili, sauerkraut, Russian dressing, more chili, more cheese, another slice of rye, and more butter. This all got a good fry on each side, and the outcome was so awesome I want one for breakfast. I am so pleased with this I want to fire up a Montecristo cigar and declare myself the Count of Monte Cristo. Update: It's been correctly pointed out is that I actually made a Reuben sandwich. I hereby reserve the right to re-use all those jokes again if I actually do make a Monte Cristo.

Fried Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pandesal Boy.
Skeletons Extermination.
Links: Will It Snow? Weather Forecast for MetLife Stadium on February 2, 2014.
Pixar Joining Star Wars Universe. Thanks nin via Kotaku. Just a rumor.
Story: Supreme Court considers cases on 'Raging Bull' authorship.
Science: Jimmy Fallon tries to hide his Mac from Bill Gates.
A New Thermodynamics Theory of the Origin of Life.
Fight the Flu, Hurt Society? Thanks Slashdot.
Media: The Big Lebowski - 8 Bit Cinema.
TDS: Jon Stewart Skewers Obama's NSA Speech.
Auctions: For Sale: The Ugliest Super-Rare Videogame of All Time.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 21:24 Quboid

Feminine hygiene is important, he's a great man.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 19:21 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 17:25:
Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 16:47:
Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 15:44:
I'll have to take you guys' words for it. To me, a sandwich is some dead chicken between two pieces of bread.

To clarify, I do believe you are from the UK, correct?

Yes, although I will claim to be Irish if it's convenient. Are you questioning the sandwich making pedigree of the British? Britons like John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich - or as you may know him FATHER OF ALL SANDWICHES??!

Edit:
Dour Sow.

Ahh yes, famous British inventors. Don't forget Lord Douchebag.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 17:52 Brataccas

Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 17:25:
I'll have to take you guys' words for it. To me, a sandwich is some dead chicken between two pieces of bread.

Yes, although I will claim to be Irish if it's convenient. Are you questioning the sandwich making pedigree of the British?

After all, they did invent the British Rail sandwich...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 17:25 Quboid

Yes, although I will claim to be Irish if it's convenient. Are you questioning the sandwich making pedigree of the British? Britons like John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich - or as you may know him FATHER OF ALL SANDWICHES??!

Edit:
Dour Sow.

- Quboid

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 16:47 Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 16:47 Creston

PHJF wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 16:29:
Rye rhymes with lye. Nothing rhymes with SOURDOUGH.

Plow-a-ho?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 16:29 PHJF

Rye rhymes with lye. Nothing rhymes with SOURDOUGH.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 16:09 Cutter

Brat is correct, it's a modified Reuben. I make Ruebens, Croque Monsieurs, and Monte Cristos all the time. I do custom work as well. In fact I make some of the best sandwiches in the world! I'm a man who loves his sammiches!

However, I was going to add that if Blue is going to go the Monte Cristo route - complete with cigar and becoming a Count - he musn't forget the Monte Cristo coffee!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 15:45 nin

I always get a chuckle on how OotB can go just about anywhere, topic wise, and it's always a surprise...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 15:44 Quboid

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 15:29 harlock

protip - always cook bread in a pan instead of toaster... it seals in the moisture, rather than evaporating it out..

ends up crispy outside soft inside rather than crispy and brittle and dry

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 15:10  Blue 

Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 14:44:
Did you put the butter on the outside of the sandwich? Why? Why is that even legal?!

As harlock implied, that really is key to the process of grilling bread... a Reuben is not the most common sandwich, but anyone who makes grilled cheese will tell you it's all about the butter.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 14:54 harlock

Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 14:44:
Did you put the butter on the outside of the sandwich? Why? Why is that even legal?!

you never cooked bread in a pan before? uhhhh

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 14:44 Quboid

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 14:23  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 13:42:
Brataccas wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 13:37:
I think you meant to say Reuben. A Monte Cristo is something completely different... (essentially a ham and cheese sandwich that has been battered and fried, usually served with raspberry preserves).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_Sandwich

yup, but no - there is no Corned Beef in his sammich though....my favorite one is here in town by my house, uses BEEF BRISKET instead. just had one yesterday.

Yes, but he is correct... I meant to say Reuben. I was inspired when I saw a profile on some restaurant where the Reuben is different every day, because they could use any meat and it came out great, which made me think of making one with chili.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 13:42 xXBatmanXx

Brataccas wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 13:37:
I think you meant to say Reuben. A Monte Cristo is something completely different... (essentially a ham and cheese sandwich that has been battered and fried, usually served with raspberry preserves).

yup, but no - there is no Corned Beef in his sammich though....my favorite one is here in town by my house, uses BEEF BRISKET instead. just had one yesterday.

Brisket Style Reuben Sandwich Slow roasted pulled corned beef, topped with sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing and Swiss cheese on grilled marble rye bread. "Voted Best Reuben in Town" by everyone who isn't an idiot 10

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 13:37 Brataccas

I think you meant to say Reuben. A Monte Cristo is something completely different. (It's essentially a ham and cheese sandwich that has been battered and fried, usually served with raspberry preserves - the Monte Cristo has also been cited as proof of the existence of God and that he does indeed love us).

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2014, 13:48.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 13:27 Hoop

I would'nt light anything up around you Blue for at least 7 days.
Print this out & stick it to your office door.
http://goo.gl/dULEm3

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 13:21 jdreyer

Pixar Joining Star Wars Universe.

Pixar, where story is king, could make a pretty excellent Star Wars film, IMO.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 13:11 jdreyer

Will W wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 11:33:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 11:20:
http://www.carmageddon.com/news/carmageddon-free-24-hours

for iOS and Android

For some reason it won't work with any of my devices, one of which is the 2013 Nexus 7. :-( I wonder what you need to get it to work, the only thing the store page lists is android 2.3.4, which would make me think it works with older devices on up.

It's weird, they gave this game away a few months ago. I DL'd it, installed it, and loaded it. It wouldn't run. So I thought, "No loss, it was free." But then a month later I tried it just for kicks, and it worked fine. Since then my Galtab2 has been updated to Android 4.2, and it still works fine.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo