Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Paying for YouTube Love

A post on NeoGAF shows documents suggesting EA ran its own program to pay for YouTube videos promoting their games, similar to allegations that Microsoft was paying for positive Xbox One videos on YouTube. The instructions allegedly from EA on this seem self-conscious about the implications, promising a $10.00 CPM (per thousand views), but warning not to post any details about the incentive online. This secrecy takes a different tone than EA's statement about this to The Verge: "Through EA's Ronku program, some fans are compensated for the YouTube videos they create and share about our games," a company spokesman confirmed for the site. "The program requires that participants comply with FTC guidelines and identify when content is sponsored. User-generated videos are a valuable and unique aspect of how gamers share their experiences playing the games they love, and one that EA supports." They seem to think this doesn't conflict with the NDA they attached to this, contradictorily saying: ""We explicitly state in the Terms & Conditions of the program that each video must comply with the FTC's Guidelines concerning Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising"

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 21:41 Sepharo

We've been using Win 8 at work for a while now and now every time I open the task manager at home on Win 7 I momentarily think something is wrong.
"Whoa what happened? Why am I looking at the XP task manager?!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 21:20 Quboid

Like I said, I haven't seen anyone praise Windows 8 more than me. I don't think it was aimed at me specifically but I felt you were probably dismissing people who disagree with your opinion on unreasonable grounds and that group includes me.

I haven't noticed any suspicious posts about Windows 8. I've only seen a couple of definite shills.

- Quboid

38. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 17:07 Julio

Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 09:08:
I don't think I've seen anyone speak as favourably about Windows 8 as I have. Do you think I'm being paid to praise Windows 8?

You've gone very quiet there mate, even though you've posted on other threads here since. It's a lot easier to make vague comments aimed at no one than to actually back up your accusations, isn't it?

The arrogance you have hinted at is mind blowing. Do you honestly find it so hard to believe that someone might genuinely disagree with you that it is easier to dismiss them as having been bought off? How full of yourself do you have to be to consider your own opinion so perfectly moulded that people can't disagree on the merits of their own argument; they must have been paid because god damn your opinion is so wonderful no one could actually disagree.

Actually I just never came back to this thread. Amazing how much you're thinking I'm talking to you, as I wasn't referring to you in particular. Who knows if you work for Microsoft, you seem quite sensitive on this. Sure they are probably pro-Windows 8 people who don't work for Microsoft...but...

There are plenty of pro-Windows 8 posters on a lot of the Windows 8 threads that don't regularly post. They seem like pretty obvious shills to me. That's who I was referring to. But yes my opinion is wonderful as you correctly noted.

37. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 09:08 Quboid

Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 19:14:
Julio wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 18:31:
Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:06:
We've had several of those toolbags right here on Blues for awhile.

And we get plenty on the Windows 8 threads too...

I don't think I've seen anyone speak as favourably about Windows 8 as I have. Do you think I'm being paid to praise Windows 8?

You've gone very quiet there mate, even though you've posted on other threads here since. It's a lot easier to make vague comments aimed at no one than to actually back up your accusations, isn't it?

The arrogance you have hinted at is mind blowing. Do you honestly find it so hard to believe that someone might genuinely disagree with you that it is easier to dismiss them as having been bought off? How full of yourself do you have to be to consider your own opinion so perfectly moulded that people can't disagree on the merits of their own argument; they must have been paid because god damn your opinion is so wonderful no one could actually disagree.

- Quboid

36. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 09:07 nin

TheVocalMinority wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 07:04:
PropheT wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 12:11:
InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 09:53:
That EA would resort to this though is no surprise. Its just a step away from what theyve already been doing with review magazines and sites for years....

There was an article a while back about them paying people to troll forums with positive posts about their games, something that I think is a lot more common than many people realize.

That reminds me, I haven't seen slick post for a while...

Yea!(?)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 08:52 Verno

The real question here is how they expected anyone to fulfill that NDA and actually post video. How do you make a video of Battlefield 4 without it containing glitches and "Battlefield" moments where the physics produces comedy? It's almost impossible.

Kawlisse, no, I don't love Windows 8. I don't love any operating system so I'll give you that. The start button is pretty much like Windows 7's, because I installed Start8, and I'm not using it as a server. The UI is also pretty much like Windows 7 because I disabled Modern UI. Before you insult people (and we all know "casual" is an insult), learn what you're talking about because you're full of shit. Windows 8, after applying some hacks, is better and cheaper than Windows.

I don't know its getting pretty expensive again. For $40 it makes a lot of sense as a very minor incremental upgrade from Windows 7, the improvements so small as to be almost imperceptible to the average user. For $100+ I start to get a bit iffy, particularly if the user already has Windows 7. I don't "hate" Windows 8 but its not difficult to see what people don't like about it and why it isn't helping the OEM industry at all.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

34. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 08:34 Quboid

Kawlisse, no, I don't love Windows 8. I don't love any operating system so I'll give you that. The start button is pretty much like Windows 7's, because I installed Start8, and I'm not using it as a server. The UI is also pretty much like Windows 7 because I disabled Modern UI. Before you insult people (and we all know "casual" is an insult), learn what you're talking about because I don't think you know what you're talking bout. Windows 8, after applying some hacks, is better and is (or at least was) cheaper than Windows 7.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2014, 10:28.

- Quboid

33. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 07:04 TheVocalMinority

PropheT wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 12:11:
InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 09:53:
That EA would resort to this though is no surprise. Its just a step away from what theyve already been doing with review magazines and sites for years....

There was an article a while back about them paying people to troll forums with positive posts about their games, something that I think is a lot more common than many people realize.

That reminds me, I haven't seen slick post for a while...

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

32. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 06:34 Kawlisse

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 21:17:

I was on the anti-Windows 8 bandwagon for a long time until I actually tried it. Now I actually like it quite a bit.

You can't love windows 8 unless you have a touchscreen. Even windows 8.1 start button is a mess. and its even worse for system admins, running Windows 2012 server (same freaking interface as windows 8) its just not practical.

Might be good for the casuals, "Ho my god, easy to use, same as with an Ipad" type of people... but power users just can't love Windows 8

31. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 21:49 Crustacean Soup

Still don't get that bandwagon. The new start menu is nonsensical (but the search still works), Metro is useless, and I miss the glass effect, but it's otherwise more or less just like Windows 7 from the desktop side. There are plenty of ways to fairly criticize it (e.g. it haphazardly throws two different, incomplete, totally separate UIs together and tries to claim that it seamlessly merges Desktop and Mobile), but the rabid naysayers just come off as being as silly as console warriors.  

30. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 21:17 Frags4Fun

Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 19:14:

I was on the anti-Windows 8 bandwagon for a long time until I actually tried it. Now I actually like it quite a bit.

29. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 19:14 Quboid

- Quboid

28. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 18:31 Julio

27. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 17:58 Cutter

William Usher wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 15:46:
Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 14:44:
This is only news if someone is actually breaking the law. So have they actually caught anyone doing that?

Articles surfaced indicating that this is a clear violation of FTC regulation. Polaris, Machinima and now EA have made it clear that they've amended (or made clear) in their agreements and for their associated partners that paid endorsements must be publicly pronounced by content creators where applicable.

Machinima and Microsoft just barely dodged a bullet with the FTC and international advertising regulators by making the change (just yesterday, following mainstream media reports).

And what exactly is the punishment for those who don't do so? Slap on the penis and a small fine I'd imagine?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 17:20 Overon

Schills are everywhere. The only problem is figuring out who they are so we can avoid their content if they don't admit to it.  

25. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 15:46 William Usher

Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 14:44:
This is only news if someone is actually breaking the law. So have they actually caught anyone doing that?

Articles surfaced indicating that this is a clear violation of FTC regulation. Polaris, Machinima and now EA have made it clear that they've amended (or made clear) in their agreements and for their associated partners that paid endorsements must be publicly pronounced by content creators where applicable.

Machinima and Microsoft just barely dodged a bullet with the FTC and international advertising regulators by making the change (just yesterday, following mainstream media reports).

24. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 15:19 Quboid

I'd like to pay a bit for ad-free access to Bluesnews, $10/year is probably more than he makes from ads. Given Blue's stance on things like the Call of Duty demo (topical reference FTW), even though this would be very different I doubt he'd ever go for it.  

- Quboid

23. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 14:52 Frags4Fun

DrSquick wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:15:
Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:01:
I'd like to know how much these guys make. If they're getting $5 CPM profit (i.e. after production costs, their network's cut) then TB must be pretty well off and someone as well viewed and prolific as NerdCubed must be bringing in hundreds of thousands a year.

Worth A Buy, on the other hand, would be struggling to bring in a thousand dollars a year. As with any industry, this is probably closer to the mode average.

Blue wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 10:46:
DrSquick wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 10:35:
I know pretty much nothing about online advertising, but isn't $10 per thousand views pretty high?

Yes it is.

What do you know about it??!

Darn that Blue, making money from ads. I, for one, think he should pay US to visit his website.

I actually tend to feel guilty that he only has a couple of ads. I gotta visit the site like 50 times per day just to make up for the guilt in hopes that he gets paid per visit. Actually, I visit the site any time I have free time so who am I fooling?

22. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 14:44 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 13:29 Tumbler

In the event that content creators disclose this stuff before hand, where is that done? I heard Total Biscuit mention something about tags that were only recently understood but where there connected to the MS contract?

If people disclose this stuff do they do it in text at the beginning or end of the video? Or is this something that is technically disclosed in audio during the video? Is there a seperate page where tags are listed?

I'm wondering if this kind of thing is being technically disclosed in some hidden way already and people just couldn't read it?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo