Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website announces that the crowd-funding campaign for Star Citizen has hit the $37 million mark. They outline the Tanga System this goal unlocks, reveal the $38 million goal as an "unexplored natural wonder," and open the voting for their $39 million goal, calling this "the final system stretch goal." Also, Roberts Space Industries announces the launch of the first web-based Organization system for the upcoming combat and exploration game. They outline how this will work, its new live chat system, organization rules, and more (thanks jimnms, who expresses hopes that someone forms a Blue's News group). Here's word on the goals for this:

This is only the beginning of the Organization system. Cloud Imperium remains dedicated to creating an environment for Star Citizenís squadrons, clans and guilds to flourish, and we have extensive long-range plans for enhancing Organizations as we build towards their presence in the persistent universe. Multiple org membership, visual organization charts and fleet views are among the features we are working on adding now.

Our goal with the Organization system, like the Hangar and Dogfighting modules, is to allow the Star Citizen community to get a foot in the door and start experiencing (and expanding) the Star Citizen Ďverse as soon as possible. Remember: organizations isnít just about letting you group together with friends and gamers, itís about backers beginning to shape Star Citizenís lore!

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 23, 2014, 12:55 Beamer

Kosumo wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 22:23:
First signs of early on set 'all new kick to win' Duke Nukem Forever levels of fanboismim I smell.

Not really sure that's a complete sentence, but DNF fanboism?

Who was a Duke Nukem Forever fanboy? I was probably the one defending it here the longest, and even I did it halfheartedly and gave up almost a decade ago.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 23, 2014, 12:26 Verno

BobBob wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 18:00:
I wonder how many starving children $37,0000,000 could feed.

I wonder how many starving children the investments you never shut up about could feed.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

42. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 23, 2014, 07:18 SpectralMeat

Julio wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 20:08:
Of all games ever made, Star Citizen is least likely to stop taking money.
Oh I know, was just an example I gave, but I know it is not likely to happen.
The Roberts Space Industries wants all the money they can get.

Steam: SpectralMeat

41. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 22:23 Kosumo

First signs of early on set 'all new kick to win' Duke Nukem Forever levels of fanboismim I smell.

(as in been yard working and I smell bad)

40. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 20:08 Julio

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 19:11:
Maybe at 40 mill they will stop taking any more money, and people will not be able to back it until the game comes out. Sort of what Project CARS did.

Of all games ever made, Star Citizen is least likely to stop taking money. It's all about raising as much cash as they can. Insurance. Insanely priced ships. Pay-to-Win. That's Star Citizen.

39. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 19:30 CJ_Parker

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 19:11:
Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 17:14:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 16:56:
/scam?

It isn't going to meet people's expectations.......probably not going to end well....

Well it's interesting that somehow they're going to magically hit 40 million and then it's going to stop.
Maybe at 40 mill they will stop taking any more money, and people will not be able to back it until the game comes out.
Sort of what Project CARS did.

That won't happen because as the campaign and its frequent "just one more last" sales (and the backpedalling with regard to LTI) has shown -> Chris Roberts' greed is infinite!

38. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 19:11 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 17:14:
/scam?

It isn't going to meet people's expectations.......probably not going to end well....

Well it's interesting that somehow they're going to magically hit 40 million and then it's going to stop.
Maybe at 40 mill they will stop taking any more money, and people will not be able to back it until the game comes out.
Sort of what Project CARS did.

Steam: SpectralMeat

37. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 18:05 Kosumo

BobBob wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 18:00:

I don't know. I wonder how many starving children your ISP bill could feed for a month?

36. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 18:00 BobBob

35. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 17:48 Task

MWO is poo, and I can't have another game go south.

That's why I hold hope for Star Citizen (and no I haven't backed it yet)

34. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 17:32 harlock

BazzaLB wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 15:58:
The only way this can fail to live up to my expectations is if it actually succeeds.

this is how i see it as well

but they will of course spin anything they can... i imagine they would consider the game releasing at all to be "success".. not sure if you heard about x-rebirth, but its shit, widely considered shit, reviewed horribly, and yet the dev posted a big thank you on his forums talking explicitly about how much of a "big success" it was..

so theres that

33. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 17:15 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 15:12:
El Pit wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 12:54:
NegaDeath wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 10:33:
Have they purchased Mark Hamill yet?
Wrong moment to do this! After decades of C movies, Hamill is now preparing for Star Wars Episode VII (aka Darth Mouse Project) with filming starting in April/May 2014. So, he would have worked for a bottle of warm beer and a week old hot dog a year ago, but now he's back in the multi million movie star circus.

Mark Hamill, who's done some of the best voice work in the last several decades - plus the greatest Joker of all time - has done alright for himself. Show some love, some respect, give some major props, gangsta.

+1

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 17:14 Cutter

/scam?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 17:05 Slinkycatz

Wildone wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 15:57:
What about all the 'taxes & insurance' they keep talking aboot, is that with ingame money or will I have to shell out every time I die.

In-game money. Insurance will allow you to get your ship back if you lose it. To prevent people from abusing this, if you get blown up right away after, you'd have to wait for a period of time before getting the next one. Lose that one quickly and it's an even longer wait. In the meantime you can use your other ship(s) if you have them or do jobs to earn money while you wait, travel the universe as a passenger, etc.

I haven't heard anything about taxes other than what would probably be part of the economic system when trading stuff.

30. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 16:56 xXBatmanXx

/scam?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 15:59 Wildone

Yep just watch the German nerd boy rage xplode into a frothy wrath the likes of which has never been seen

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:53:
Tumbler wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:10:
Remember it's a $35 risk, if you want to play this game, it's $35. Everything above that is you committing to the making the project better and possibly buying physical stuff like shirts and mouse pads. $35 doesn't seem like too big a deal to risk for potentially getting this game in return.

Then again, the final game, if/when it comes out, will sell for 50 or 60 bucks. So there's not really a whole lot of incentive for me to sign up now. (incidentally, it was also one of the main reasons why I didn't back Elite, since he wanted like 40 bucks for a copy of the game.)

If they're asking me to take that much risk, I'll just wait for it to come out.

If you want me to back your KS and take the risk, there has to be something in it for me. Allowing me to get the game for 20 bucks is a good mitigator.

For me...well I'll have to dig a hole in my yard, bury all my SC related stuff and put a tombstone out there to properly deal with all the grief if this project fails to live up to expectations.

Oh, it's GOING to fail to live up to expectations, but that's mostly because people now expect this to become the best game of all time ever released, past, future and present, and it'll be a realistic simulator of life in space in the 25th century etc etc. When all he set out to do at the beginning was do another Wing Command and potentially make a Privateer Online.

I'm just curious to see whether it'll become a good game. And if it is, I'll gladly spend 60 bucks on it then.

28. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 15:58 BazzaLB

The only way this can fail to live up to my expectations is if it actually succeeds.  
Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

27. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 15:57 Wildone

What about all the 'taxes & insurance' they keep talking aboot, is that with ingame money or will I have to shell out every time I die.  

26. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 15:12 Cutter

El Pit wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 12:54:
NegaDeath wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 10:33:
Have they purchased Mark Hamill yet?
Wrong moment to do this! After decades of C movies, Hamill is now preparing for Star Wars Episode VII (aka Darth Mouse Project) with filming starting in April/May 2014. So, he would have worked for a bottle of warm beer and a week old hot dog a year ago, but now he's back in the multi million movie star circus.

Mark Hamill, who's done some of the best voice work in the last several decades - plus the greatest Joker of all time - has done alright for himself. Show some love, some respect, give some major props, gangsta.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Star Citizen Hits $37M; Organization System Launches Jan 22, 2014, 14:06 Tumbler

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:53:
Oh, it's GOING to fail to live up to expectations, but that's mostly because people now expect this to become the best game of all time ever released, past, future and present, and it'll be a realistic simulator of life in space in the 25th century etc etc. When all he set out to do at the beginning was do another Wing Command and potentially make a Privateer Online.

Ready. Player. One. Motherfucker. Ready Player One. This is how it starts. When massively successful, he buys Disney and Lucasarts and builds those worlds into the game. There will be a fully realized Indiana Jones Planet, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will be wiped from the record, there will be a universe for star wars both clone wars and the new hope universe, and an heir to the empire universe!!!, there will be a Wing Commander universe, (he already bought EA obviously), Ultima online will live on in a separate corner of the Galaxy on it's own planet next to the Ultima Underworld planet!, then he'll buy the Star Trek franchise while the economies of the world collapse as all discretionary spending of consumers go into this one giant all consuming corporation. Then we'll all have VR machines built by apple, after CIG buys them of course, in our homes and we'll finally be able to see what a Star Trek vs Star Wars battle is really like.

Now you tell me, isn't that worth a measly $35!?! If total recall existed and I could buy this memory I'd pay for that too!

I'm with you on the Elite stuff, I don't want to spend $40 or so dollars to see how that turns out but it looks excellent and I'm willing to spend around that if it turns out great. CR's idea sounds worth the risk to me in the end. Plus T-Shirts! And Blueprints, and signed boxes! I can't wait to smell the box, don't you miss those PC game boxes everything used to come in....ahhhh nostalgia.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo