Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens

Hearthstone website announces the open beta testing for Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is live in North America, saying no more character wipes are planned going forward. Here's word on testing of the card-based strategy game:

The wait is over: The Hearthstone Open Beta Test is now live in North America! If you haven’t had the chance to partake in all of the crazy card-slinging action yet, now is the perfect chance to start casting powerful spells, summon mighty minions and duel your friends in this fast-paced strategy card game that anyone can dive into right away!

It’s been a crazy past few months for all of us on the Hearthstone team. We announced Hearthstone at PAX East back in March, began the Closed Beta Test in August, had a great Hearthstone event at BlizzCon with the Innkeeper’s Invitational along with our announcements for Android and iPhone support, and now we’re ready to unleash the awesomeness of Hearthstone to you with Open Beta!

So what does this mean for you? If you didn’t get the chance to participate in the Hearthstone Closed Beta Test, now is your chance to download the game! Just click here to download Hearthstone, or you can use the Play Free Now button at the top of playhearthstone.com. We have no plans to perform any more wipes of Hearthstone, so feel free to amass your collection and play against your friends!

What if you don’t play in the North American region? Don’t worry; we plan to go to Open Beta for all of the other regions within the next few days as well, so stay tuned for more information!

As open beta is still a beta phase, we will be closely monitoring many aspects of the game to ensure a positive play experience for everyone. Please be aware that if smoke starts curling out of our servers due to unexpectedly high demand to play Hearthstone, we may have to temporarily disable open beta account activations for a time until we’re ready to take on more players.

Download, play and enjoy Hearthstone now - We’ll see you in-game!

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 23, 2014, 16:36 jdreyer

Cool, good to know. I'll give it a shot. I'm able to play stuff like Hammerwatch and Rogue Legacy on it, but it's just got integrated graphics (core i7)  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 23, 2014, 13:27 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 12:53:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 12:40:
Will it play on my laptop?
I don't see why it wouldn't.

You should have no problems. Like anything blizzard, they're going to try and get it to work on just about anything.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 23, 2014, 12:53 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 12:40:
I don't see why it wouldn't.

Steam: SpectralMeat

31. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 23, 2014, 12:40 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 23, 2014, 07:15 SpectralMeat

I've played this last night and I think it is awesome.
Played through the tutorial missions, created a custom deck, beat and unlocked the first hero and then went online and played my first match, ended up winning too.
So far so good.
Very easy to get into and fun to play.
I can see myself spending some time with this game, might end up even spending some real money on it, but so far I don't see any reasons to do so.

29. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 14:56 Cutter

It's pretty good. Not as good as Card Hunter however.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 13:21 J

Having played Hearthstone for a few weeks now I've reached the conclusion that it is more tiered. If you're facing legendaries with commons and some rares then you'll most likely get trampled. If you have a number of rares and some epics then it's easier to fight them off.

Arena is just highly dependant upon luck. You can get bad cards and your opponent can get a number of epic/legendary cards. I've had reasonable duels, and duels where the opponent wiped the floor with me as I had nothing that could stand up to what they were playing.

All in all I must say I prefer Shadow Era. It doesn't have as much gloss and sparkle as Hearthstone, but I find the mechanics to be better balanced and more encouraging.

Just my .02.

27. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 12:34 Whiskers

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 11:37:
The lesson I've learned playing it is not to take it too seriously. The game is light fun with a lot of luck and very little strategy. If you try and treat it anymore than that you will end most play sessions rage quitting or frustrated. If you don't want that, play Scrolls.

I think this is the most accurate representation. That's how I feel about the game. It's a lot of RNG and it's mostly "casual", so don't take it too seriously.

26. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 11:37 SimplyMonk

I've been playing this, Scrolls and Solforge. Scrolls is the only game I've spent real money on and truly enjoy. Kickstarted Solforge, but I regret it.

Hearthstone is a pretty, well-engineered and modestly generous game for a CCG. Still in BETA, but the lack of being able to trade cards with other players is a pretty big fuck you to traditional TCG players. I understand it from a financial point of view, but it inspires me to spend no money on the game. That being said, I've built a fairly decent Shaman deck by playing Arena and dusting/crafting cards.

The game is overly simplistic at times, but that can be a huge win if you are just looking to blow five minutes while waiting for an appointment especially when this hits tablets. A lot of cards are luck based to the point of winning you the game or completely screwing you on a coin flip. The trap cards are a good addition for some added strategy though and something I wish more CCGs would add when they don't allow you to play cards during your opponents turn.

Arena is super fun when you get a good deck out of it, but sometimes the random cards you get just don't have much synergy and you get stomped. At least no matter what though you get a little dust and a card pack for your troubles.

Deck construction makes me a little sad in that you are pretty pigeonholed in deck design by the class system they have. Priests can't use paladin cards and the true power cards are class specific. Sure, they classes have a little wiggle room for creativity, but you are pretty constrained. The neutral cards have a few flavors to them, but outside of the legendary cards you pretty much just sprinkle in some neutrals that go well with your class cards. Expect Blizzard's usual heavy hand with class balance that you see in WoW.

The lesson I've learned playing it is not to take it too seriously. The game is light fun with a lot of luck and very little strategy. If you try and treat it anymore than that you will end most play sessions rage quitting or frustrated. If you don't want that, play Scrolls.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2014, 11:42.

25. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 10:50 Mr. Tact

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 07:11:
I've been watching TB playing this for a while now.
Holy cow, he has been playing a ton of it... interesting.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 07:40 InBlack

Whiskers wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 06:52:
It can definitely take a while to get specific cards, but it's fun. It really depends on what mode you play. If you read some guides on what cards are good to use in the Arena mode, you can get a lot of gold and cards early on. Arena mode is pretty random, but you are given chances to use cards you don't have.

Casual and ranked can become frustrating, as a lot of the people have very gimmicky decks that try for 1 big combo. That or they have several of the big legendary cards. The nice thing about casual is that if you are getting destroyed you can just quit and play against someone else and you don't lose anything. I typically just wait until I have a couple daily quest and then play until I complete those to get gold. Haven't spent a dime on the game and I've been playing it for 3 months.

Thanks.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 07:19 Fibrocyte

InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 06:44:
How slow, grindy is it? How long would you have to play to get a decent deck? (Without spending money)

The decks you get from money or from gold are completely random so your question is asinine.

22. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 07:11 SpectralMeat

I've been watching TB playing this for a while now. Looks interesting, I might give it a try however I am not big on these card games.  

21. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 06:52 Whiskers

It can definitely take a while to get specific cards, but it's fun. It really depends on what mode you play. If you read some guides on what cards are good to use in the Arena mode, you can get a lot of gold and cards early on. Arena mode is pretty random, but you are given chances to use cards you don't have.

Casual and ranked can become frustrating, as a lot of the people have very gimmicky decks that try for 1 big combo. That or they have several of the big legendary cards. The nice thing about casual is that if you are getting destroyed you can just quit and play against someone else and you don't lose anything. I typically just wait until I have a couple daily quest and then play until I complete those to get gold. Haven't spent a dime on the game and I've been playing it for 3 months.

20. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 06:44 InBlack

How slow, grindy is it? How long would you have to play to get a decent deck? (Without spending money)  

19. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 04:30 Bhruic

InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 03:53:
Ok now Im confused.

It's F2P in that you can earn gold coins in order to buy booster packs. But you'll end up earning them very slowly. Anyone who's spent money on packs will have a distinct advantage in games, because card synergy is important. The more cards you have that work together, the better your deck. When you're starting out, you'll be missing a lot of those synergies, meaning you'll lose a lot of your games.

If you just want to play for fun, and don't mind losing a lot, you can completely stay F2P. If you want to build competitive decks, you'll likely have to spend money.

18. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 03:53 InBlack

Ok now Im confused.  

17. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 03:49 dj LiTh

InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 03:42:
So its not F2P? They shouldnt advertise it as such then. Do they have booster packs where you pay and dont know what youre getting too??? Have fun, with that. Im gonna go stand in the corner there with P.T. Barnum.

Its F2P, anything you can purchase you can also earn in game by playing for free.

16. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 03:42 InBlack

So its not F2P? They shouldnt advertise it as such then. Do they have booster packs where you pay and dont know what youre getting too??? Have fun, with that. Im gonna go stand in the corner there with P.T. Barnum.  

15. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 03:33 Theo

InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 03:11:
Bhruic wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 03:00:
You really can't be competitive without spending money. There are plenty of "expert" cards that will just wreck your deck, and you won't have any good way of fighting back. So it's fine if you don't mind losing more than you win, but if you want to be winning, you'll have to buy cards.

I was waiting for a post like this. I dont have anything against properly done F2P games, but games that require you to spend money to have an edge over an opponent?? Puke

An obligatory fuck those Blizzard losers!!

Its a CCG man, ALL CCGS ARE LIKE THAT - ITS THE POINT OF THEM. (that said, you can craft cards eitherway, and the original comment is overly harsh frankly).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo