Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve offers the following accounting of the 10 bestselling games last week on Steam:

1. DayZ
  2. Rust
  3. Starbound
  4. The Banner Saga
  5. Next Car Game
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Saints Row IV
  8. Darksiders Franchise
  9. Torchlight II
  10. 7 Days to Die

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 16:31 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 09:14:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 00:28:
Good to see Banner Saga doing well. Well-written, plenty of tough choices, deep combat, fantastic art and a really interesting approach to the genre. I really like the sense of being on a journey, rather than the theme park feeling I get from many RPGs.

What is the combat like? I've heard conflicting things on it. One friend says its pretty good while another dislikes it due to some gimmick about allowing units to live with low health rather than finish them off so high power units can use less turns. I didn't really understand it. I was thinking about picking it up when I'm between games.

Not sure what he's talking about. Your characters don't die in combat, they're just incapacitated for the rest of the match and then stay injured for a few days afterward. Injuries reduce your health and damage but you can still use injured characters in subsequent matches.

The biggest issue I have is with the leveling system. Basically, characters get promoted based on number of kills (which makes it harder to level up weaker or support characters). Once eligible for promotion, you have to spend Renown (which is basically XP) to actually promote them the cost increases with each promotion. However, Renown is also used to buy supplies which are necessary to prevent your people from starving to death. In the late game, you're basically spending all your money on supplies so you can't afford to promote your characters anymore.

Aside from the leveling system, the combat is enjoyable. The different classes work together in interesting ways and there are a lot of potential strategies you can use in any given fight. Most fights are pretty close, as well. I don't think I've won a single fight without losing at least one character.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 12:08 MajorD

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 11:13:
MajorD wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 09:32:
Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 15:55:
And just look at the PC Gamer - Games of 2014 list that's coming. Man, I just saw at least 2 dozen that I want now.

Maybe I completely missed it, but they forgot Legend of Grimrock 2 on that list. Maybe it is there, as I did browse through the list a bit quickly.

Holy crap, that list is ridiculous. After I'd seen about 80 games, I realized I was still on page 2!

LOL! Yeah, I thought the same thing. Too many games, so little time.....

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 11:13 Creston

MajorD wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 09:32:
And just look at the PC Gamer - Games of 2014 list that's coming. Man, I just saw at least 2 dozen that I want now.

Maybe I completely missed it, but they forgot Legend of Grimrock 2 on that list. Maybe it is there, as I did browse through the list a bit quickly.

Holy crap, that list is ridiculous. After I'd seen about 80 games, I realized I was still on page 2!

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 10:52 HorrorScope

Banner Saga forums read like this. At first best game ever. Then as people finished it, it turned to to short and a list of issues. I'd have to look deeper in the future when I dwindle the backlog down. I have 7-10 and they are all good in their own way. 7D2D my fave from those, SR4 close though...  

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 10:43 AirWreck

Don't think I've seen it mentioned on this site; Nidhogg is a really good game that came out on steam last week. Fast-paced easy-to-pick-up fighting game/tug-of-war. Check out some reviews, watch some gameplay.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/nidhogg-review/

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 09:32 MajorD

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 09:14 Verno

Good to see Banner Saga doing well. Well-written, plenty of tough choices, deep combat, fantastic art and a really interesting approach to the genre. I really like the sense of being on a journey, rather than the theme park feeling I get from many RPGs.

What is the combat like? I've heard conflicting things on it. One friend says its pretty good while another dislikes it due to some gimmick about allowing units to live with low health rather than finish them off so high power units can use less turns. I didn't really understand it. I was thinking about picking it up when I'm between games.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 07:59 gray

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 21:11:
Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 19:51:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 17:44:
I have decided that the only way I am going to get to play games is when I retire at 55....

I can't drive...55!

*Zactly. Maybe a new interstate 76 game by then!

That so needs to happen.

Hey Stampede...

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 04:40 Jerykk

Skyrim isn't bad but it's basically a polar opposite to Banner Saga. Nothing you do in Skyrim really matters whereas everything you do in Banner Saga has long-term consequences.  

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 03:53 jdreyer

Whoa, way to dig on Skyrim.

BTW, I know a shooter I think you'll really be into: Call of Duty.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 02:29 Luke

This weeks top 10 from the Scambrowser Book  

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 00:56 siapnar

I'm glad Next Car Game is getting some exposure.

It's basically an updated Flatout 2/UC, which I'm sure I'll be totally happy with

I have projectile dysfunction.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 00:28 Jerykk

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 21:11 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 19:51:
I have decided that the only way I am going to get to play games is when I retire at 55....

I can't drive...55!

*Zactly. Maybe a new interstate 76 game by then!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 19:51 Cutter

I can't drive...55!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 19:51 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 18:28:
I thought the mp survival genre had run its course, especially with all the pretenders like The War Z. Guess there's still a lot of hunger for it.

@Jacob. EA games? Hahahaha you win the Internet!

@Quboid. The money is too good for them not to put early access games on the front page. Look at the crap ton of cash they're getting from Rust and Day Z.

There's at least a dozen plus coming this year. Talk about missing the bandwagon.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 19:17 Angrius Maximis

RUST is so boring. 7 Days to Die much better in terms of survival. RUST is nothing but naked people ganking each other  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 18:28 jdreyer

I thought the mp survival genre had run its course, especially with all the pretenders like The War Z. Guess there's still a lot of hunger for it.

@Jacob. EA games? Hahahaha you win the Internet!

@Quboid. The money is too good for them not to put early access games on the front page. Look at the crap ton of cash they're getting from Rust and Day Z.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 18:25 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 18:13:
I am afraid to take the time to put them into categories....
My problem is, I want true tags, not just categories. Like "co-op, not played yet, priority play list", etc.

Or at least the ability to sort and search my library by the tags they already have in the store pages (like co-op, single player, etc)

But yeah, 1000+ games might take just a bit of time to categorize

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 18:13 xXBatmanXx

I am afraid to take the time to put them into categories....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo