Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saints Row IV Free Weekend

A free weekend has commenced for Saints Row IV on Steam as the open world action sequel is gratis to play between now and 4:00 pm EST Sunday, with a 50% discount available to those who decide they want to buy it. Here's word from Steam News:

The US President must save the Earth from alien overlord Zinyak using an arsenal of superpowers and strange weapons in the wildest open world game ever.

The epic conclusion to the game that changed all the rules! The Saints have gone from the crackhouse to the White House—but the Earth has been invaded and it’s up to you to free the world from Overlord Zinyak and his alien empire. With homies new and old by your side, and an arsenal of superpowers and strange weapons, you must save the world in the wildest open world game ever!

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 16:25 starttimartti

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 16:02:
starttimartti wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 14:42:
All the free weekend etc. games automatically show up in my games library along all the games that I've bought in the past. There I just click on the INSTALL button and, woooooossh, away I go.

Between this and PS4 freebies... Why even buy games anymore?
Just to be clear... the steam ones also do disappear from my games list after the weekend too.

I don't think I've ever downloaded a free weekend game from steam. The download still takes an hour or two if I'm lucky and the odds of me finishing the game during the weekend are slim. I shall not allow them to bait me into buying their games!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 16:02 HorrorScope

starttimartti wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 14:42:
Ceribaen wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 14:27:
Silly question on free weekends for games like this?
Is it just the 'download demo' that you grab?

I tried following the 'click here to download the game for free' links in the steam client last night and it always went to the store page.
All the free weekend etc. games automatically show up in my games library along all the games that I've bought in the past. There I just click on the INSTALL button and, woooooossh, away I go.

Between this and PS4 freebies... Why even buy games anymore?

22. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 14:42 starttimartti

I tried following the 'click here to download the game for free' links in the steam client last night and it always went to the store page.

21. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 14:29 nin

I'm not sure how to get the game (at work ATM), but I would avoid the "demos" for SR3 and 4, as they are the costume/character creator, and nothing else.

edit: I see there's a Free Weekend link halfway down the page, is that the one you tried?

edit again: Maybe restart your client?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 14:27 Ceribaen

19. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 09:59 yuastnav

ViRGE wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 08:46:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 08:00:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 02:46:
Meh, didn't like Saints Row IV. The superpowers got boring after about 10 hours and the game is way longer than that, although I rage quit after the game crashed halfway through the last mission. Didn't feel like doing it again.

And because you had superpowers there was almost no point in driving/flying the vehicles, which was a shame.

Oh well, the second Saints Row is still the best. Good mix of ridiculouseness and "modern drama".

Nailed it right on the head. SR2 is still the best game out of the series.
Perhaps if we're talking about the consoles. But the PC port is not fit for human consumption.

I played it on the PC many years after it was originally released.

I agree that the port was really bad but the game was not broken at least.
Let's consider Alpha Protocol, for example (which is also a good game). Saints Row 2 was functional and personally I was able to get used to stuttering and how the camera behaves while driving. It didn't get in my way... mostly. Alpha Protocol, on the other hand, DID get in the way, since the weird stuttering and mouse acceleration effects had a detrimental effect on my aiming and what not.

Saints Row 2 had a bad port but by far not the worst.

Although maybe I'm used to that since I also enjoyed games like the Gothis Series, Boiling Point etc. which didn't have bad ports since they were PC games but had similar issues as SR2 and AP, in some ways at least.

18. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 08:51 nin

ViRGE wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 08:46:
Meh, didn't like Saints Row IV. The superpowers got boring after about 10 hours and the game is way longer than that, although I rage quit after the game crashed halfway through the last mission. Didn't feel like doing it again.

And because you had superpowers there was almost no point in driving/flying the vehicles, which was a shame.

Oh well, the second Saints Row is still the best. Good mix of ridiculouseness and "modern drama".

Perhaps if we're talking about the consoles. But the PC port is not fit for human consumption.

It sucked on the 360 as well. Framerate tanked in certain parts, to almost a slideshow.

I thought 3 was the best. They're getting decent at city design now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 08:46 ViRGE

16. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 08:00 Burrito of Peace

15. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 05:15 ViRGE

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 21:44:
Suppa7 wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 21:38:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 19:24:
The bad thing is once you get superpowers less than 1 hour into the campaign you never have to drive again.

That was kind of the point, the driving in SR3 was only an aside anyway used to ferry you from mini-game to minigame.

They'd really have to basically change the characteristics of the vehicles into extreme futuristic/fantasy to match the speed/crazyness of the superpowers they put into the game and tthat wouldn't have been a bad idea.

That would have been great. There's already some of it with the funky Zin cop cars and hover bike things.
My thought exactly. The cars aren't very useful, but the VTOL bikes can still get you around faster than your superpowers can, especially if you have to cross water or go through downtown.

14. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 02:46 yuastnav

13. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

It's already #5 on the top sellers, so whether or not the free weekend helps, a sale is a sale is a sale. I reckon the people who would play the whole thing for free in a weekend and then not buy it are the kind of people who would just as soon pirate it, anyway. It's got to be meant more to hook those who will take the opportunity to try it out to see if they like it, when they otherwise might not have bothered.  

12. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 01:51 Prez

This is kind of a weird move. The game can be finished in a weekend with some marathon gaming sessions. It's how I did it. With that in mind I wonder if this is going to lead to any significant extra sales or not. I really liked the game (enjoyed SR3 more though) but I can't see myself going back to replay it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 16, 2014, 22:43 ColoradoHoudini

Alright.. been looking for a good time waster.. this will be it.  

10. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 16, 2014, 21:58 Lit_Reflex001

I really want to get into these games. I bought SR3 but it doesn't run well enough on my computer to enjoy it.

I have a piece of shit Athlon 64 X2 processor with a 9800 GT video card (which is basically the 8800 GT minus some kind of hardware video decoding).

Who would like to donate a decent low end videocard? Jesus Christ, man I remember back in the day I ended up spending something like only twenty bucks on a Geforce 2 MX and man that thing was a nice upgrade over my previous video card, whatever it was as I don't remember.

9. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 16, 2014, 21:44 Mad Max RW

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 21:38:
The bad thing is once you get superpowers less than 1 hour into the campaign you never have to drive again.

That was kind of the point, the driving in SR3 was only an aside anyway used to ferry you from mini-game to minigame.

They'd really have to basically change the characteristics of the vehicles into extreme futuristic/fantasy to match the speed/crazyness of the superpowers they put into the game and tthat wouldn't have been a bad idea.

That would have been great. There's already some of it with the funky Zin cop cars and hover bike things. It feels like Volition is moving toward a full on cyberpunk setting.

Although the SR3 minigames are largely vehicle based, I can't recall a single one in SR4. They spent a lot of extra time refining the controls and upgrades for a whole section of the game you never have to use.

8. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 16, 2014, 21:43 Cutter

I like the Superpowers. Kind of flashes me back to CoH - man, we need some new, good superhero games. The Saints Row Xmas DLC was pretty hilarious.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 16, 2014, 21:38 Suppa7

6. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 16, 2014, 21:22 bigspender

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 20:50:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 20:39:
The bad thing is once you get superpowers less than 1 hour into the campaign you never have to drive again. It's all running and leaping across skyscrapers like somekinda Superman/Flash/Spiderman hybrid.
The matrix has you Neo.

Has the conversation been had?

What happens if you take both pills?

you get your stomach pumped

5. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 16, 2014, 20:50 xXBatmanXx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 20:39:
The bad thing is once you get superpowers less than 1 hour into the campaign you never have to drive again. It's all running and leaping across skyscrapers like somekinda Superman/Flash/Spiderman hybrid.
The matrix has you Neo.

Has the conversation been had?

What happens if you take both pills?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo