Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 22, 2014, 13:18 BitWraith

My wife lost her job BEFORE Obama took office when the mortgage industry folded. It takes both of our incomes to support our own mortgage. She took unemployment for a little while, and eventually landed a decent job with the state.

I've worked in my field for 15 years. At the same time as she was out of work, I took a pay cut. It was pay cut, or the other designer lost his job. I opted for the paycut.

I've only managed to work my way up to a shade under 40k a year. It's enough for us, because we managed to get to where we are debt free (minus the house, of course). In the small town we live in, this is an awesome wage.

If my wife had not had unemployment, we would have lost our house. Just so you know that we don't fit into the conservative narrative, we both have college degrees and we're both hard workers (I have never taken a full week off of work in those 15 years).

The idea that the poor are just living it up in happyville is a fantasy. Unemployment sucked - we had to really change our lifestyle.

The concept of money works because there is a limited amount of it in society. If it all migrates to the top (which it is), the pyramid collapses. On one hand, corporations are refusing to raise people's wages while raking in 1.5 billion in PROFITS (McDonalds). On the other hand, they're bitching and moaning because no one is buying anything. They can't have it both ways.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 19:22 Axis

Beamer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 19:02:
Axis wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 16:25:
Beamer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 16:10:
Axis wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 15:39:
I doubt you personally even know someone who has.

This is why no one really bothers engaging you most of the time.

Though I personally was never impoverished, I'm just going to wager that working criminal law in an impoverished city, and then living in Kentucky which is basically a poor white wasteland, has given me a plenty better view than most people.

Those people had no job options and no skills. When you're a 25 year old with no skills, you're never really going to get them. Not that it matters, even the ones with skills can't find employment to use those skills. And even if they decided to start a business, no one around them has money to spend at the business, because they have no skills or employment.

As I stated, you are an inspiration to all those poor young adults. I'm sure they appreciate your confidence that they'll never become skilled or successful at anything.

Are you running out and hiring unskilled 25 year olds?

For them to gain any skill, they'd have to, what, dedicate a full 4 years to it? Where will they get the time to do that when they have to support themselves?

And once they have skills, where will they take those skills, when no one in their community pays skilled employees?

And, even if someone did, why would they hire a skilled 29 or 30 year old when there are skilled 20 year olds to hire?

Man I'm glad I ignored blabber like this from others in my early years. Bit too common these days though, would be harder to resist just giving in -- you liberals got them well shackled.

Yours truly,

Axis

52. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 19:02 Beamer

Axis wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 16:25:

Though I personally was never impoverished, I'm just going to wager that working criminal law in an impoverished city, and then living in Kentucky which is basically a poor white wasteland, has given me a plenty better view than most people.

Those people had no job options and no skills. When you're a 25 year old with no skills, you're never really going to get them. Not that it matters, even the ones with skills can't find employment to use those skills. And even if they decided to start a business, no one around them has money to spend at the business, because they have no skills or employment.

As I stated, you are an inspiration to all those poor young adults. I'm sure they appreciate your confidence that they'll never become skilled or successful at anything.

Are you running out and hiring unskilled 25 year olds?

For them to gain any skill, they'd have to, what, dedicate a full 4 years to it? Where will they get the time to do that when they have to support themselves?

And once they have skills, where will they take those skills, when no one in their community pays skilled employees?

And, even if someone did, why would they hire a skilled 29 or 30 year old when there are skilled 20 year olds to hire?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

51. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 18:48 Redmask

Not a single one of you had the experience of poverty. I doubt you personally even know someone who has.

I don't believe you have either so I guess we're back to square one.

50. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 16:25 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

49. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 16:10 Beamer

-------------

48. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 15:39 Axis

Beamer... what can I say you are a pope of inspiration to the poor. Please keep up the idealism and parroting of the talking points - you are helping their situation immensely..

In the very least seph seems intelligent about the situation if not extremely experienced with the hard facts of reality among the abuse of the system, and the system that abuses the abusers.

Not a single one of you had the experience of poverty. I doubt you personally even know someone who has.

Yours truly,

Axis

47. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 14:00 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 13:19:
If I was to live among the poor I doubt my opinion about welfare would change. If I was poor I would still appreciate the assistance and I would still try my hardest to work my way out of it. I would still see that some people weren't trying and that they seemed to be okay with living on welfare and not improving their situation. And I would still understand that that's not everybody... the majority of people don't want to live on welfare. It's silly that that even needs to be said.

I was fairly conservative until I actually did live amongst the poor.

First in one of the poorest (and least white) cities in the country. It was pretty easy to see the cycle of poverty there and how difficult it would be to break. Expecting it to be done by an individual was ridiculous. Kids were counted out before they were born.

Next was in the Midwest, amongst rural white people. The only job prospects were basically to be a mechanic (and how many could the community support), to work at Walmart, or to work at a restaurant. Minimum wage all around. Once again, it was difficult to see where people could rise above that.

At least, 50 years ago, someone could learn a trade and maybe open their own business. Today? That doesn't exist. Even something as simple as a restaurant is completely pushed out in these areas, with the restaurants in the poor city replaced with McDonald's and White Castle and in the rural area with Cracker Barrel and Waffle House.

It wasn't until I was surrounded by poverty that I realized how goddamn lucky I was to be born into a good suburb with parents that didn't even make me realize college was a choice, not an obligation. And yes, both my parents came from poverty (my mother to a much lesser extent.) Neither got out without a lot of help from support systems that don't exist for people unless they know someone not in poverty.

-------------

46. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 14:00 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 13:05:
Parents were doing well roughly 2003-2009.
And by that I simply mean they were paying their bills with money left over for leisure, they weren't "rich". That wasn't the case for my childhood and currently isn't the case for them now.

You of course won't believe this but welfare fraud is estimated at 2.7% (2012) and welfare dependency at 3.8% (2005, probably much higher now but still not a majority).

There's really no hope for you though.
Someone breaks your false narrative and you assume they're probably lying.
You're all about generalizations, and most of them idiotic.
You lump all individuals under your lazy stereotype and disregard that there are honest hardworking people who need government assistance at times in their lives and others who because of their health (like say a quadruple amputee) or other circumstances are destined to be on some form of welfare the rest of their lives.

Well said. Welfare fraud is something that offends me but it's not a significant enough factor to warrant that sort of attitude.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

45. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 13:39 Axis

Welfare dependency is the amount of income they get from welfare vs the amount they get elsewhere. I never said either of your examples and it's not 'calculated' by some government sponsored metric.

I specifically stated abusing the system, swallowing the liberal pills to continue feeling justified, and pulling the lever in hopes that it can continue.

If you are one of those people, much harder times are coming. That's what I said. And if you champion it, you only hurt them further.

Yours truly,

Axis

44. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 13:19 Sepharo

Until then I'll just inform you that welfare fraud is NOT abusing the system legally.

That's why I also included welfare dependency which is what you're probably talking about.

There are obviously degrees to poverty. No I haven't lived in "squalor" but like I said my parents received government assistance and were poor by just about anyone's definition. We weren't homeless, we weren't starving, the neighborhood wasn't so bad... but we were poor and on government assistance.

My grandparents never lived in a ghetto either... But they did live in a shack in the woods, and my grandpa did work in a coal mine as a child and my grandmother left the home at 13 to be a live in nanny for rich people. They got a piece of fruit for Christmas and that was about it.

If I was to live among the poor I doubt my opinion about welfare would change. If I was poor I would still appreciate the assistance and I would still try my hardest to work my way out of it. I would still see that some people weren't trying and that they seemed to be okay with living on welfare and not improving their situation. And I would still understand that that's not everybody... the majority of people don't want to live on welfare. It's silly that that even needs to be said.

43. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 13:10 Axis

Sepharo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 13:05:
And by that I simply mean they were paying their bills with money left over for leisure, they weren't "rich". That wasn't the case for my childhood and currently isn't the case for them now.

You of course won't believe this but welfare fraud is estimated at 2.7% (2012) and welfare dependency at 3.8% (2005, probably much higher now but still not a majority).

You lump all individuals under your lazy stereotype and disregard that there are honest hardworking people who need government assistance at times in their lives and others who because of their health (like say a quadruple amputee) or other circumstances are destined to be on some form of welfare the rest of their lives.

When you, yourself Sepharo, live poorly and among the poor in the US, I'll take your responses seriously. Until then I'll just inform you that welfare fraud is NOT abusing the system legally. You really don't understand, so I'm sure now you've never lived in squalor.

Yours truly,

Axis

42. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 13:07 Axis

Don't worry Beamer, I don't take any of your arguments seriously enough to be considered worthy of a thoughtful response.

Especially since all you said in your entire paragraph is the naive ridiculous liberal parrot point that "successful people are lucky and privileged".

Yours truly,

Axis

41. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 13:05 Sepharo

40. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 12:51 Beamer

Axis wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 12:43:
Only if you are being truthful, that's not verified. I recalled you speaking about your well-off life in past posts when we had our Obamacare talks.

I personally know of no one who has honestly endured hard times and became successful on their own who are democrats.

And no, the people who abuse the system are a LARGE percentage. And if you were in hard times and lived within a community of poor you'd know this. Which, again, calls to question your story.

Because many of those people feel that, since they worked hard to get what they got, everyone else should have to.

They ignore that luck played a factor, that in many cases privilege plays a factor, and that millions of Americans work as hard or harder and get nothing.

Instead they focus on the exceptions to the rule, not acknowledging that they themselves are exceptions.

Don't respond to this, because I'm not going to bother reading it and getting sucked into this.

-------------

39. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 12:43 Axis

Only if you are being truthful, that's not verified. I recalled you speaking about your well-off life in past posts when we had our Obamacare talks.

I personally know of no one who has honestly endured hard times and became successful on their own who are democrats.

And no, the people who abuse the system are a LARGE percentage. And if you were in hard times and lived within a community of poor you'd know this. Which, again, calls to question your story.

Yours truly,

Axis

38. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 22:36 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 22:24:
Well then I stand corrected and applaud your folks should you be truthful. Your story is similar to my life except I'd be the parents.

Most successful people work smart, or hard. Most unsuccessful people don't. There are exceptions, but that's black and white unbiased truth.

But look at the way you made assumptions about my life that weren't true. You're doing the same thing about everyone struggling in your rants below. Of course there are people who abuse the system but they are a small percentage. And you make government assistance sound far more glamorous than it is. People voted for Obama for many reasons but I'd have to say expectations of panacea handouts is very low on that list. Your narrative of people expecting a golden lunch on the end of a rainbow... nobody thinks that. Obama's been in office for 5 years, this isn't the election anymore. Your cautionings don't make sense.

37. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 22:24 Axis

Well then I stand corrected and applaud your folks should you be truthful. Your story is similar to my life except I'd be the parents.

Most successful people work smart, or hard. Most unsuccessful people don't. There are exceptions, but that's black and white unbiased truth.

Yours truly,

Axis

36. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 21:54 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 21:23:
I lived poor, I know you never did.

Well you're wrong. I did grow up poor. My parents rented a home for the first 9 years of my life. We were on food stamps at times. My mom ran a daycare out of the home sometimes with 10 or so kids just to pay the bills.

But in the late nineties and early 2000s my siblings and I were old enough to watch ourselves after school and my mom was able to go back to work. She and my dad worked their way up through their careers and bought a nice big home. Then the 2009 recession came and they both lost their jobs... they've worked their way back in the past 5 years but still nowhere near where they were in 2008.

As for myself, my parents couldn't afford to give me any money for college. I went through 100% on loans, graduated with 50k loan debt (almost all private). I got a job 1 month out of college (during the height of the recession) and have been working there for the past 5 years making very good money. I can't say I've really had to work hard but I didn't pick up computer programming to get blisters on my hands.

35. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 21:23 Axis

Sepharo wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 20:51:
Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 20:33:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 18:09:
Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 17:55:
Redmask wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 12:43:
Axis wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 15:56:
Amazon corp employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?
Teacher govt employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?

"You" are one sided, the example is a crystal clear example of both sides.

According to you both can leave and go work somewhere else, though most people don't look at that as a serious option in this economy was the point. Many people need their job and have no choice so the 'option' of leaving isn't really much of one. At least the government employee has the AFT to lobby on his behalf, whether I like unions or not is a different topic and you should stop making assumptions about others personal politics just to fit your narrative.

Wrong Redmask. Go ask a public school teacher what would happen if they "Quit", I dare you to find out.

But you are correct about one thing - Obama's economy is the worst we've seen in most of our lifetimes, and yet there's still all the blowing air up our asses by the media. Cute isn't it?

I can care less anymore, I've worked my ass off and keep reaping the benefits of that hard work. All you suckers buying into the Obama bullshit will have miserable lives if you keep thinking there's some golden lunch for you at the end of Obama's rainbow. You go down that road to your own demise.

You sound like the miserable one here.

If a teacher quits mid-year they get their teaching license suspended. But if they're planning on quitting teaching altogether I don't think that would matter to them.

Correct about the teachers.

If I sound miserable to you, well I can't help you there.

I've never expected a golden lunch, and wouldn't want one if it was offered to me, I'm no ones slave and don't need others to provide for me when I'm capable. I couldn't be happier with the outcome of hard work from the piddly minimum wage years all the way up.

So many people are spoiled to death and they whine about absolutely nothing. Hard times are coming, and it's the Obama-minded needfulls who will be getting the brunt of the impact.

It just seems like you spend a lot of time in your life ruing "golden lunches" and Obama.

I wouldn't refer to welfare/food stamps/unemployment or whatever you're ranting about as a "golden lunch," it's more like a shit sandwich.

Specifically welfare/food stamps. Unemployment means you worked and want to work.

I live in the real world, apparently you have some idea of it. I lived poor, I know you never did. The abuse of the system is off the charts these days -- and a hefty majority are unwilling to give up their 'shit sandwiches' and gobble them down happily.

They keep hearing all that 'income inequality', 'baddie corporations', 'non-deserved rich guy', class envy, and all the other ridiculous "you deserve more for doing nothing" shit Obama touts daily, and they will never, I promise never get more - Democrats just wants them to believe they will - it's a load of shit to keep them voting for them. It's a sham and a pipe dream, and many of us feel helpless to help rid them of the shackles they put on themselves -- but that's what many have done, and more and more are doing. And the democrats are perfectly fine with it, there's more divisive crap invented every day to keep them busy.

But ya, keep up patting yourself on your back because you think people like me pointing out the truth are heartless, while you publicly shed a tear for all the needy -- your halo is blinding.

Yours truly,

Axis

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo