Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Greenlight Ending

GamesBeat collects some developer tweets from Valve's just-launched developer days, since the press is not in attendance. One tweet mentions third-party Steam controllers are in the cards, and another says that the Steam Greenlight program is going away. This meshes with a video interview recently mentioned on PC Gamer where Vlambeer’s Rami Ismail speculated that the recent rash of greenlights was to clear the queue before ending the system. "I'm thinking that because they've been clearing the queue at such a rapid rate. They've been clearing 100 games every month. . .You don’t do that because there are 100 good games on Greenlight every month," he suggests. "You do that because you want to get rid of everything that isn't greenlit before you kill it, so you don’t upset developers." His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 19, 2014, 12:45 Redmask

Never saw much use for Greenlight so whatever, it was just a big floodgate after the initial run.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 16, 2014, 12:39 Gadzooks

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:14:
His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

And won't that make Steam so wonderful to attempt to buy things from...

It'll basically turn it into any app store. Where there's a few good things buried amidst millions of pieces of crap.

And this is different than it is now? lol.

Games, in general, are crap. Go all the way back to brick and mortar shops, and most of the games on the shelf were crap. The challenge was finding the couple of decent games amongst the piles of crap.

Steam already has a slew of crap and junk games, no different than any other game retailer. If you are using steam as a virtual store front to browse through new games in hopes of finding a good one, you are doing it wrong. Instead, do this from your research on the rest of the web (this site for instance) and recommendations from other gamers/friends. Then, just use the simple search box on steam to find the exact game you want (you know, the one that isnt crap).

28. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 16, 2014, 09:26 InBlack

I would like to comment on this as I have some knowledge about the Steam vetting process. Little Green Men studios recently managed to get their game on Steam's early access program. At first they couldnt get on the Greenlight program due to how horrible the program was run, the vetting process was/is a complete mess. So they had to go out and find a publisher before Valve would even talk to them. They were in a hurry so they signed with one of the worst publishers in Europe, but that was the price to pay if they ever had any chance to get on Steam.

There are things going on behind the scenes that would make any sane person want to puke, so yes, getting rid of Greenlight is a step in the right direction for Valve and Steam but its only the start.

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 23:45 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 23:34:
Maybe now with so much crapware getting on Steam people will FINALLY stop accusing me of buying every game on Steam. I own less than 40% of their current catalog, thank you very much!

If it's cheap enough, I might still give some of it a chance But still... I'm all in favor of a more wide-open store, but there also should be some sort of a system for being able to filter out titles or have a curated selection.

26. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 23:34 Prez

Maybe now with so much crapware getting on Steam people will FINALLY stop accusing me of buying every game on Steam. I own less than 40% of their current catalog, thank you very much!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 23:26 Alamar

Maybe they're combining Greenlight with Early Access... Instead of voting to get a game on Steam, you have to buy it, and when they make enough sales, then it's allowed to stay : )

-Alamar

24. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 23:24 Creston

harlock wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 19:01:
theres no way they will just let anything and everything get through.. bandwidth is not an unlimited resource, and they have to host and deliver this content too, as well as updates

they got to have some system for keeping it tight

As long as Valve get their 30%, I'm guessing the bandwidth costs are fairly irrelevant. Unless people will start selling their games for 50 cents.

23. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 23:23 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:10:
I guess I am of the school of thought that there is a BETTER solution they will implement, not a worse one.

That'd be nice, but it doesn't really look like it. It looks like they will simply have no solution whatsoever, just put whatever you want on Steam.

22. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 22:58 Silicon Avatar

I did a few Greenlight voting things and then decided that it was just a grade school popularity contest. You had to be better at marketing than making games to get green lit.

21. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 22:10 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 18:02:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:30:
You just can't do it - and this change will stop that crapware.

Thank you!

How is this going to stop it? Whatever tiny barrier existed to keep shit off Steam will now be gone. You could literally put a 'game' on Steam that just prints "THANKS FOR THE MONEY SUCKA!" on screen, and Steam will sell it for you.

Greenlight was a terrible solution, especially once they let the plebs vote on games, but it was better than no solution at all.

I guess I am of the school of thought that there is a BETTER solution they will implement, not a worse one.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 21:55 saluk

ViRGE wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 17:48:
Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:14:
His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

And won't that make Steam so wonderful to attempt to buy things from...

It'll basically turn it into any app store. Where there's a few good things buried amidst millions of pieces of crap.
It's not as if Steam doesn't already sell crap games. That titles like A:CM and Ride to Hell are sold on the service means that it's clearly not functioning as a quality filter in the first place.

A:CM and even Ride to Hell are leagues ahead of what kind of stuff is going to wind up in the store if it becomes a free for all.

19. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 19:33 HorrorScope

I wish there were some hidden gems in there that I'm drooling for. I seem to be able to wad through it all well enough as-is. As said, do some research = watch a couple movies, check the forums and if it looks like something I'd like and the rest checks out. Deal. Not hard. Not even sure what the problem is now, not sure what the problem maybe after this.  

18. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 19:26 ViRGE

harlock wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 19:01:
theres no way they will just let anything and everything get through.. bandwidth is not an unlimited resource, and they have to host and deliver this content too, as well as updates

Well Valve does get their cut from every sale. So maybe limit F2P options to developers with a track record, and perhaps clamp down on the ability to generate unlimited Steam keys for free (to keep devs from selling everything outside of Steam while shifting delivery to Steam).

17. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 19:01 harlock

16. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:56 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 18:15:
Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 18:05:
But we're already dealing with crap today, so I'm not sure it's fair to lock out indies (since not being on Steam can break a game's revenue) while big publishers are free to release their own crap.

Just being on Steam doesn't equate to revenue. You need to be on Steam AND get mentioned in order to sell. There are plenty of excellent apps on the itunes store that hardly sell any copies because they never get mentioned on the front page. Steam is going to have the exact same issue.
Just so we're clear I completely agree. Steam alone isn't your meal ticket; you still need to provide something consumers want, and inform them about the product. But Steam is the gateway to PC gaming; if your game isn't on Steam, it's not available to a lot of buyers, as they won't buy a game that's not on Steam (or 1st party titles on UPlay/Origin). So to have a shot as a developer, you need to be able to sell on Steam.

Yep. But I'd rather have a vetting process than just let every joe schmoe with a Dell who writes a few lines of Java flood Steam with whatever he calls a "game."

Then again, the entire game library on steam has become unwieldy to the point of uselessness anyway, so in the end it probably won't make much of a difference.

15. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:52 NewMaxx

I know a lot of indie developers and have heard a lot of anecdotes. I know one, for example, that created a decent 4X game that got rejected from Steam because "the market is not large enough for another space game." Now of course this game did benefit from Greenlight but I've see other games not benefit from it that probably deserved it, like Running with Rifles.

I guess the argument could be made that the real problem is that on the one hand, you want to sell games people will actually buy, and on the other, you want quality games. The issue is that these two things do not necessarily intersect. The customer has to be informed and especially I feel they need to be in touch with the game's community, something Kickstarter does well in many circumstances. Of course you had KS'd games that also used Greenlight that met this criteria and maybe that's the real solution.

My guess is that Valve didn't want to bring those two aspects together for a variety of reasons. Imagine if they had their own kickstarter on top of the Greenlight, to see what I mean. I'd say they weren't in that market except for the fact that Greenlight was really a foray directly into it. Long story short I'm not surprised it failed as is, what I'm surprised about is that they didn't find a way to make it work with all that talent.

14. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:21 Sepharo

I don't see the big deal with allowing anything on Steam. Buyer beware. Are you guys really purchasing crap without researching beforehand? Maybe you are, but if that's the case then haven't you already decided that the amount your spending is okay to risk on something you really know nothing about.

Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 17:49:
Basically what made Steam the "best" of the digital distribution markets (i.e. they actually vetted the stuff they sold) is going to go away.

You thought that what made Steam the "best" was their vetting process? That's awfully strange considering they essentially just allowed any AAA title and then had two guys looking at a massive backlog of indie titles. Greenlight was intended to get games out of that backlog and on to Steam but it was a dumb process. The way that it "worked" they might as well just allow every game on Steam. It's not like Valve won't still be involved in creating the front page of the store and coordinating sales. I have no issues with Android/Gooogle's Play Store... I download mostly very popular apps with high reviews, things that go viral. Sometimes I need to download something that's more off the beaten path, I try to research it but I may end up risking a few dollars. I'm not going to risk $50 on something I know nothing about and can't find information on.

13. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:15 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 18:05:
But we're already dealing with crap today, so I'm not sure it's fair to lock out indies (since not being on Steam can break a game's revenue) while big publishers are free to release their own crap.

Just being on Steam doesn't equate to revenue. You need to be on Steam AND get mentioned in order to sell. There are plenty of excellent apps on the itunes store that hardly sell any copies because they never get mentioned on the front page. Steam is going to have the exact same issue.
Just so we're clear I completely agree. Steam alone isn't your meal ticket; you still need to provide something consumers want, and inform them about the product. But Steam is the gateway to PC gaming; if your game isn't on Steam, it's not available to a lot of buyers, as they won't buy a game that's not on Steam (or 1st party titles on UPlay/Origin). So to have a shot as a developer, you need to be able to sell on Steam.

12. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:14 Deathbishop

If it's crap, which Steam has a lot of anyway, it's going to get buried in the Steam catalog anyway. All this does is allow the crap to get in without a filter (Greenlight). I think the comment about fewer indies making money is spot on. At least with Greenlight, you got a passing mention. Now, you may get your stuff on Steam but if it's not highlighted or featured in any way, it may be a little harder to make money.  

11. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:05 Creston

Infinitely more titles on steam = percentually far fewer titles mentioned on the front page = percentually far fewer indies making good money on Steam.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo