Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details

Kicking off their Steam Developer Days, Valve offers a breakdown of some Steam subscriber and sales statistics showing the growth of their online service over last year:

Valve kicked off its first-ever Steam Dev Days Conference by announcing the continued growth of Steam, a leading platform for PC, Mac, and Linux software. In addition, Valve detailed Steam's 2013 geographic performance to the more than 1,200 Dev Days attendees.

In the trailing three months the number of active Steam accounts jumped 15%, to 75 million from 65 million (announced October 2013). The growth was realized during a busy holiday release season and Steam's Pre-Holiday and Holiday sales.

In addition, members of the Steam publishing team gave attendees a geographic breakdown of Steam's 2013's sales revenue. While the data showed a virtual tie between North America (41%) and Europe (40%) for the lion's share of Steam's global activity, Russia and Brazil realized the largest year over year growth (2013 vs. 2012) as individual countries, respectively increasing 128% and 75%.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 13:53 BitWraith

Sepharo wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 12:40:
edit: Okay I gotta lay on some more because you talking about power is kind of funny. I'm an enterprise developer running and debugging 6 Visual Studio 2012s (each with their own greedy extension like resharper), SQL Management Studio, Chrome with 20+ tabs, Outlook, Communicator, and a whole bunch other services some ours and others 3rd party. The laptop is fully capable.

Right this second, I have Chrome open with 4 tabs, Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, DreamWeaver, Bridge, Outlook, Word, Excel. I often have After Effects and Premiere open as well (but not as often). The Adobe suite eats computers for lunch and then craps them out.

We have to work quickly. I get about an hour per project each day. I need a computer than can run all this stuff at the same time and not churn the harddrive constantly (and keep a Photoshop history that's longer than 5 save-states).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 13:38 BitWraith

Sepharo wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:26:
Billboard design is outpacing computer hardware? I find that hard to believe. It's not like billboards are new or something. How did they design billboards 3 years ago?

They did them in low resolution and very slowly. Or they used vector artwork, which is tiny and scalable. Now-adays everything is large-scale printed on vinyl (or paper), so they just export the digital file to a huge printer. They used to break them up into strips and them glue them together on the board (some older-school companies still do this).

We design them at size, 150 dpi. PSD files can get very large. Customers demand all the photoshop bells and whistles. Some red vector type on a yellow background just doesn't cut it anymore.

33. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 13:26 Sepharo

Billboard design is outpacing computer hardware? I find that hard to believe. It's not like billboards are new or something. How did they design billboards 3 years ago?  

32. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 13:22 Beamer

If this guy is doing work on billboards I can see him needing something ridiculous, like a Power Mac. Laptops can extend pretty far, but you won't get the power of something like the new Power Macs.

But how many people in a typical organization need that kind of power? 0.01%? That's a special order.
Like I said, at my last two companies, both with tens of thousands of employees, laptops are issued within the first 10 minutes of orientation. Orientation, by the way, which includes everyone of every level. If someone needs a desktop, their managers put in for it as a special request order charged to their cost center. But even they get the laptop at orientation, because it just happens at the same time your photo is taken. It just gets turned in later in the day when people go to their desk.

And my friends at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Microsoft, Apple and JP Morgan all say the same thing about their companies.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 12:40 Sepharo

BitWraith wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 09:30:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 14:38:
Axis wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:29:
Beamer, most large companies still use desktops, even more smaller ones do.

This is really old fashioned. You're dealing with some companies with legacy hardware most likely, next upgrade cycle I bet they'll be on laptops. Even old holdouts like graphic designers and CAD are switching to powerful laptops or virtual solutions.

I work for a company with ~500 employees and 100+ million in revenue. We all have had laptops for years. Like Beamer said, it's nice to be able to work from home. I essentially haven't taken a sick day in years and can move those days towards actual vacation.

I'll jump in and call BS on this. I work in an in-house marketing company. I happen to be a graphic designer for said company. Right now, I'm working on an absolute beast of a Apple Power Mac and have a 27 some odd inch monitor as my main, and another monitor on the side. This sucker can run the entire main suite of Adobe products at once and not even blink. I work on large files like billboards and show booths, all the way down to small files for the web.

There is NO, and I mean NO, way I could work on a laptop. I dunno what kind of designers you're dealing with, but 10 bucks says they suck ass. If my company offered me one, it would have to be as a backup computer. Nobody in this entire company uses a laptop as their main, and none would consider it either.

We have two tablets in the office which are pretty much only used for mobile web / email testing. Otherwise, they collect dust.

It sounds like you are mostly making a big deal about the screen size. At my company we get two 24 inch widescreens in addition to our laptop and its docking station. Rarely are people actually using the laptop display and keyboard. As for power, you can get everything you need in a laptop form factor.

My sister was a graphic designer for a major studio and is now working at an iconic guitar manufacturer. Both places she (and I assume many of her coworkers) was using a fully loaded MacBook Pro with additional displays.

edit: Okay I gotta lay on some more because you talking about power is kind of funny. I'm an enterprise developer running and debugging 6 Visual Studio 2012s (each with their own greedy extension like resharper), SQL Management Studio, Chrome with 20+ tabs, Outlook, Communicator, and a whole bunch other services some ours and others 3rd party. The laptop is fully capable.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2014, 12:49.

30. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 09:30 BitWraith

Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 14:38:

This is really old fashioned. You're dealing with some companies with legacy hardware most likely, next upgrade cycle I bet they'll be on laptops. Even old holdouts like graphic designers and CAD are switching to powerful laptops or virtual solutions.

I work for a company with ~500 employees and 100+ million in revenue. We all have had laptops for years. Like Beamer said, it's nice to be able to work from home. I essentially haven't taken a sick day in years and can move those days towards actual vacation.

I'll jump in and call BS on this. I work in an in-house marketing company. I happen to be a graphic designer for said company. Right now, I'm working on an absolute beast of a Apple Power Mac and have a 27 some odd inch monitor as my main, and another monitor on the side. This sucker can run the entire main suite of Adobe products at once and not even blink. I work on large files like billboards and show booths, all the way down to small files for the web.

There is NO, and I mean NO, way I could work on a laptop. I dunno what kind of designers you're dealing with, but 10 bucks says they suck ass. If my company offered me one, it would have to be as a backup computer. Nobody in this entire company uses a laptop as their main, and none would consider it either.

We have two tablets in the office which are pretty much only used for mobile web / email testing. Otherwise, they collect dust.

29. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 15:53 Axis

Old fashioned or not, most companies still use desktops.  

Yours truly,

Axis

28. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 14:38 Sepharo

27. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 14:01 Axis

You've been done for a long time beamer, nice try.  

Yours truly,

Axis

26. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 00:56 Beamer

You're hopeless. I'm done.  
-------------

25. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 00:18 Axis

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 18:28:
No one said anything about "oh wow never heard of a company not using desktops".

Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:23:

I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops, and I deal with dozens each year. I have no idea where your super-d-duper-grandiose "no desktop policy" companies are, but they sure as hell aren't what most mainstream companies are doing - your assessment is complete rubbish.

So, no one ever said "I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops," except for you. Two days ago. In this thread.

My current employer has an employee count in the six figures. Like I said, every employee is issued a laptop on day 1. Not a single desktop in the company.
My previous employer had 50,000 employees. They bought their last desktop in 2009.
Target, Goldman Sachs, Apple, etc., all issue laptops exclusively

Oh cmon thats so ridiculous -- One hell of a grasping at straws. You do know what "most" means correct?

I have no idea where your super-d-duper-grandiose "no desktop policy" companies are, but they sure as hell aren't what most mainstream companies are doing

Desktops are still #1 in the workforce for most companies, fact.

No one is stating companies don't use laptops. But you did say desktops are dead in the workforce and you are completely and utterly wrong, they are still the most used for the vast majority.

Yours truly,

Axis

24. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 17, 2014, 18:28 Beamer

No one said anything about "oh wow never heard of a company not using desktops".

Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:23:

I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops, and I deal with dozens each year. I have no idea where your super-d-duper-grandiose "no desktop policy" companies are, but they sure as hell aren't what most mainstream companies are doing - your assessment is complete rubbish.

So, no one ever said "I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops," except for you. Two days ago. In this thread.

My current employer has an employee count in the six figures. Like I said, every employee is issued a laptop on day 1. Not a single desktop in the company.
My previous employer had 50,000 employees. They bought their last desktop in 2009.
Target, Goldman Sachs, Apple, etc., all issue laptops exclusively

-------------

23. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 17, 2014, 17:29 Axis

Admit defeat and quit trying to act like you're correct in your silly assertions. No one said anything about "oh wow never heard of a company not using desktops". Seriously think you can get away with saying shit like that when a simple read-through proves your statement a sham?

Maybe with some, not me. U r full of it. i got ur #

Yours truly,

Axis

22. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 17, 2014, 00:36 Beamer

Quboid wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 21:09:
The only things tying me to my desk for gaming are my monitor and my keyboard and mouse.

If the Oculus Rift lives up to the hype and a similarly innovative input device is invented, maybe in 10 years I will game using my Oculus Rift 4 XL and Cybor-aug FFB Finger Implants, all powered by the 128 core Samsung Galaxy SX2 in my pocket. Wirelessly. For games that don't use the Rift, my finger implants will work with my TV, which will be big enough and crisp enough for PC-like gaming from anywhere. The phone would be docked for power and to transmit 8640p data. You can't do that wirelessly, you're living in a fantasy world...

Yeah. A lot of people here are so tied to a form factor they refuse to even imagine a time when other form factors are as capable without having the same detriments.

But it's foolish. Look at where our processor innovation has been the last 5 years - efficiency and power consumption. We haven't seen huge jumps in power, just huge drops in power consumption. We've seen processor R&D shift to be heavily based around battery-power processors.
Because that's where the money is.

And it shocks me when people say they have never heard of a company not using desktops. Go to Microsoft - the only desktops are legacy. Go to Target. Or go to Amazon, where before your orientation begins they line all new hires up, give them a laptop, give them two power adapters (one for their desk, where a docking station, mouse, keyboard, and two monitors wait) and one for home, and give them laptop bag. When you quit, they expect the bag back, as it's part of company property.

Any advantage of a desktop in the business world is gone. Desktops mean companies need to choose between allowing employees to use their own (possibly compromised) machines on the VPN or giving them an excuse to not work from home (meaning, amongst other things, more sick employees come to work and more vacation days are needed when people travel - I once spent a 4 hour layover in the Delta lounge sending emails, meaning it was technically a work day for me.) Desktops are more easily upgradable than laptops, but aside from increased RAM no one ever bothers. They're easier to fix, but having a support staff large enough to do that is more expensive than just buying more laptops in bulk.

-------------

21. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 21:09 Quboid

The only things tying me to my desk for gaming are my monitor and my keyboard and mouse.

If the Oculus Rift lives up to the hype and a similarly innovative input device is invented, maybe in 10 years I will game using my Oculus Rift 4 XL and Cybor-aug FFB Finger Implants, all powered by the 128 core Samsung Galaxy SX2 in my pocket. Wirelessly. For games that don't use the Rift, my finger implants will work with my TV, which will be big enough and crisp enough for PC-like gaming from anywhere. The phone would be docked for power and to transmit 8640p data. You can't do that wirelessly, you're living in a fantasy world...

- Quboid

20. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 13:07 DG

Any actual $$$ sales figures?  

19. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 12:59 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:05:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:11:
The only advantages of desktops, that they are expandable, are outweighed by the detriments - that they're large, energy heavy, can't be moved, and require permanent space dedicated to them.

Advantages you missed:
More Powerful by far
Get more done
UI Devices nothing else has

Your negatives: Large, can't be moved (well they can be moved) and require space. I am sorry but I have the room to house them and don't have an issue with them. It doesn't all have to be small and mobile for me.

More powerful by far: for now. R&D isn't being put into desktop anymore, so it's changing. Laptop processors have already caught up to desktops. Mobile is only a few years back. GPU is a different story, but desktop GPUs have largely stagnated (when was the last time you heard of something truly new, like Fermi was?) while mobile GPUs are increasing exponentially year over year

Get more done: what does this even mean? If I have a mobile, running a fully fledged OS, connected to two monitors, a mouse and a keyboard via a docking station, how in the world are you able to do more on your desktop? Again, a desktop is merely a form factor, nothing else

UI Devices nothing else has: such as? All those UI devices are USB. Name one UI device your desktop can use that a Surface Pro can't

As for negatives:
"Can be moved." Yeah, by unhooking a billion wires, unplugging from a wall, etc. No one is deciding to work on the couch or in the kitchen and moving their desktop there for a few hours

"I have room" good for you. Notice how you're making it about you, not about the general public

"It doesn't have to be small and mobile for me." Good for you. You're in a niche. What's good for you is irrelevant to this conversation. What's good for me would be a restaurant that puts avocado on everything, but you don't see me claiming that a restaurant that puts avocado on everything is going to dominate the future

-------------

18. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 10:35 Axis

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:05:
The only advantages of desktops, that they are expandable, are outweighed by the detriments - that they're large, energy heavy, can't be moved, and require permanent space dedicated to them.

Advantages you missed:
More Powerful by far
Get more done

Your negatives: Large, can't be moved (well they can be moved) and require space. I am sorry but I have the room to house them and don't have an issue with them. It doesn't all have to be small and mobile for me.

Beamer is either intentionally full of shit, has a naive view, or extremely limited work experience with regards to companies and their use of desktops. Desktops are still #1 in the workforce for most companies, fact.

Yours truly,

Axis

17. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 22:05 HorrorScope

Advantages you missed:
More Powerful by far
Get more done

16. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 20:24 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:55:
Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:09:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:36:
Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:31:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:23:
And yet we're still seeing "PC's are DEAD" articles and their hopeless buffoonery console minions pop up...

Are we? This has long been a cliché but I don't remember the last time I actually saw such a headline. Of course, if Blue's simply stopped linking to them then I'd have no way of knowing.

Fortunately most have learned that it was a load of faddish hogwash -- but every now and again one pops up. Just saw one on blues bout a week ago I think, least the headline and I didn't bother to read it for obvious reasons. Then there's countless posts from a few members here like Beamer who still recite it like prophecy...

Do you honestly think Beamer has been saying that, or anything like that, or are you joking?

Through plenty of fault of my own, and in part due to everything becoming a rabbit hole, lots of people never know what I'm saying. Arguments just become twisted strawmen on every side.

I find myself nearly always agreeing with you and you're one of the regulars here who is least likely to jump to an extreme - and also who understands that not being one extreme doesn't mean you are another; disagreeing with a gamer-biased post doesn't mean you're publisher-biased.

If those who disagree with you - and there are a few - don't even understand what you're saying, it's hard to see what relevance their counter arguments have. It's like a creationist saying "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" - if you don't have any understanding of what's beng discussed, your argument is just a waste of everyone's time.

(Checking your post history, not entirely sure what Axis was referring to but what you say about sales figures is true AFAIK. Not quite the same as saying PC gaming will die and miles away from saying PC gaming is dead.)

- Quboid

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo