Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access

Ubisoft announces that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online is now available via Steam Early access in Canada, and word is the MMO third-person shooter will come to other territories in the spring, though it's not clear if this will be more early access or a full launch. Here's word:

Today Ubisoft announced that Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online® is coming to Steam™. Since its launch, the tactical 3rd person shooter has evolved significantly with the help of its four million registered users. Players contributed their time and feedback to improve and refine the unique gameplay and team experience provided by the game, which allowed Ubisoft Singapore to continue developing Ghost Recon Online to make it the polished game that players now experience. Steam Early Access kicks off today in Canada and the game will be available worldwide this spring.

“Bringing Ghost Recon Online to Steam has been our goal since the game’s inception,” says Corey Facteau, Producer at Ubisoft. “We took the time necessary to reach a quality level that can go head to head with the best online games available today before releasing on Steam. As the top shooter for gamers who enjoy team gameplay, we have also seen our audience expand to include MOBA fans, who comprise fifty percent of our user base. To ensure a seamless transition to the new platform, we will use Early Access to fine tune the Ghost Recon Online experience before releasing it to the rest of the world.”

Play Now, Play Free at www.GhostReconOnline.com.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2014, 16:34 Rigs

Blah, Command Authority is pretty good. I know most have an itch for RB6 and Hunt but my favorite was the first TC book I ever read, Red Storm Rising. Man, what a read! Took me nearly 4 months to finish it (hey, I was 15 and going to a new school, leave me alone! ) but it's one of the best WW3 scenarios I've ever seen. Without Remorse was really good to, more character driven than the usual techno-bangbang babble...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 15, 2014, 16:29 dumpy

Does this require Ubisoft Uplay? The one thing that stopped me from playing Anno is that I forgot my password, and amongst the multitude of usernames and passwords I have for various reasons, I couldn't be bothered to create another arbitrary password that I will just forget in another 3 weeks.  

24. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 15, 2014, 03:22 1badmf

best one is still hunt for red october, and best jack ryan too.  

23. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 15, 2014, 02:28 Paranoid Jack

Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 22:04:
Clancy's writing went a bit off the rails later in his career imo. I didn't like his last several books nearly as much as his earlier works. Judging by the customer ratings on Amazon, I am not the only one. You can tell generally tell if a Clancy book is earlier or later in his career by its rating alone. Later books don't generally review as well as earlier ones. Still sad he is gone - he was a creative and foresightful fellow.

Sad but true. My favorite was and still is Rainbow Six. Though quite a few books before and after it were quite good. I stopped reading him when I noticed two names appearing on the covers. And I'll admit I've become interested in this latest Jack Ryan movie. Can't be any worse than the one with Affleck.

22. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 23:26 Cutter

That's because all the later ones were ghostwritten and it shows.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 22:04 Prez

Clancy's writing went a bit off the rails later in his career imo. I didn't like his last several books nearly as much as his earlier works. Judging by the customer ratings on Amazon, I am not the only one. You can tell generally tell if a Clancy book is earlier or later in his career by its rating alone. Later books don't generally review as well as earlier ones. Still sad he is gone - he was a creative and foresightful fellow.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 22:01 Cutter

Man, they're really raped ol' Tom's name with so much scheisse. I'd like to see someone do some old skewl TC writing. Maybe go by the nom de plume of Tim Cloncy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 21:52 Paranoid Jack

siapnar wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 21:38:
This is exactly what all you Rainbow Six fans wanted, right? RIGHT?

Nope, we wanted a sequel to the original Ghost Recon with better/expanded system to issue orders for the troops you are not occupying. Nothing to do with the console versions which followed it. The original Ghost Recon was the shizzit!

I think after the original PC only Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six Raven Shield they pretty much lost their way. I'm willing to bet their sales figures will back that up... now they are stamping Tom Clancy on everything... hence The Division. But you can not deny that game looks bad axe. I just pray they add a first person option to it. Because 3rd person shooters with no 1st person option generally suck!

18. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 21:38 siapnar

This is exactly what all you Rainbow Six fans wanted, right? RIGHT?  

I have projectile dysfunction.

17. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 21:23 Prez

I have no interest in this but it made me think - what was the point of making it third-person? Haven't all the Ghost Recon games been FPS except for that one that was console-only?

On a side note, while I really like the original, I hated the fact that you couldn't see your weapon. It just felt weird.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 21:03 NewMaxx

Whiskers wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 19:57:
TLDR - The game marketing team behind this game wants your money, and if you aren't going to pay to compete then don't bother.

Pretty much, yeah. I played for a while and tested out a lot of other multiplayer FPS in the same period - Warframe, Planetside 2, Warface, etc. I ended up with Planetside because the rest had their issues, and the one for this game is as you say...really panders too much to payers.

15. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 20:45 gsilver

I've played a bit of it, and I've done pretty well thus far without putting any money into it.

There are aspects that are blatantly pay to win (like the armor, grenades, ammo... ok, a whole damn lot) but you can do perfectly well if you know what you're doing.

Though I've been playing Hawken, too, and that one seems a lot more reasonable, since there are real no "tiers" of mechs (later ones are just different, and they give you a bunch off the bat) and it's relatively easy to get any equipment you want for a mech.

14. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 20:26 panbient

Whiskers wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 19:57:
if you aren't going to pay to compete then don't bother.

Thanks for saving me download time.

13. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 20:02 RaZ0r!

3rd person shooter = poop  

12. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:57 Whiskers

This game is pay 2 win sadly. I played this a ton in the open beta and it's a really fun game, but sadly they keep punishing the people who don't pay money. Every change made over the last 6 months has made it harder and harder for people who don't pay money to even hope to compete at any level, so you just get steamrolled most games. They then keep adding higher level weapons and armor, making it easier for higher level people to kill lower level people and even harder for lower level folks to do anything (unless they pay money to quickly rank up and get better gear / weapons).

TLDR - The game marketing team behind this game wants your money, and if you aren't going to pay to compete then don't bother.

11. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:52 jacobvandy

Because Massive(tm) amounts of people play it, man! Or will, I guess (Survarium), and it's multiplayer, so yeah... There.  

10. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:47 Trevellian

I beta tested this, long story short, it's just fucking Future Soldier's multiplayer more or less. Nothing special.

And it's not a fucking MMO and they need to stop calling it that. It's no different than CS:GO, you have a menu screen and kit screens and you queue up for games.
That is not a fucking MMO. If that is a fucking MMO then Call of Duty is an MMO.

When did MMO expand to encompass games that simply have a F2P model and that queues you up for games?

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

9. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:11 LittleMe

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 19:00:
Parias wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:54:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:51:
huh? Not just been worked on -but hasn't it been released for consoles like 3 years ago? Maybe diff game of similar name?

You might be thinking of "Future Solider". Which came out on PC too.

Copy. That might be it - I know I played one on the console a while back....over the years - they run together....

Their TC games are becoming hard to differentiate for me as well, but maybe that's because I don't play them. A straightforward numbering scheme would help.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

8. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:00 xXBatmanXx

Parias wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:54:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:51:
huh? Not just been worked on -but hasn't it been released for consoles like 3 years ago? Maybe diff game of similar name?

You might be thinking of "Future Solider". Which came out on PC too.

Copy. That might be it - I know I played one on the console a while back....over the years - they run together....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:00 nin

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:44:
Speaking on behalf of all Canadians, sorry. I know everyone wants to get their hands on this game which even Tom Clancy was dying to play.

Unintentional pun?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo