Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Sells 1M in One Month

Bohemia Interactive's Dean Hall tweets another sales milestone for DayZ following word last week that the standalone zombie survival/horror game had sold 875K copies in three weeks of early access. Word is the game passed the one million unit milestone within a month: "Well, 1 million copies in 4 weeks. So much for the death of PC Gaming." Thanks Blend Games. Hall also made an interesting comment recently on Twitter: "The best part about DayZ's success, for me, is that I can now make all the games I've always wanted but that everyone said was too niche."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 12:18 HorrorScope

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 11:59:
That is my fear. That this will be worse than pre-ordering.....you will buy a game that is 5-25% done, they make MILLIONS (this game) and then never finish the game....

I am done with KS, Early Access, etc etc etc.....

Fear is a bit strong, the thing is we can learn to. If we started getting burned to the point it upsets us, then we should change our buying behavior. I haven't been burned once yet, zero Kicks, few EA's.

The EA's I have purchased I've enjoyed as-is.

I look at supporting or not supporting is more than just do or don't. Obviously supporting it, it allows games that won't usually be made that we want... made. That is pretty big not to consider. Well unless you like the general stuff the big bois put out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 12:15 HorrorScope

ViRGE wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 10:13:
Actually this brings up an interesting point. If everyone is buying and playing it now, will there be anyone left to play it when it's done? Or are we looking at a new world where the apex of the player count occurs before the game is even out of beta?

That is a good question, in some cases I know I won't be around. Done played it...

39. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 11:59 xXBatmanXx

ViRGE wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 10:13:
Whiskers wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 13:58:
Hopefully the one million alpha testers will help make the game have no bugs and run really smoothly across a variety of hardware by the time it's officially finished in 2015.

I don't mind early access as long as the devs use it to their advantage in having a nice testing base to identify and fix things and don't just look at it as a way to get cash money.
Actually this brings up an interesting point. If everyone is buying and playing it now, will there be anyone left to play it when it's done? Or are we looking at a new world where the apex of the player count occurs before the game is even out of beta?

That is my fear. That this will be worse than pre-ordering.....you will buy a game that is 5-25% done, they make MILLIONS (this game) and then never finish the game....

I dont' know of many people that pre-order anymore, and for good reason, maybe this just has to run it's course?

I am done with KS, Early Access, etc etc etc.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

38. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 10:13 ViRGE

Whiskers wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 13:58:
Hopefully the one million alpha testers will help make the game have no bugs and run really smoothly across a variety of hardware by the time it's officially finished in 2015.

I don't mind early access as long as the devs use it to their advantage in having a nice testing base to identify and fix things and don't just look at it as a way to get cash money.

37. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 10:00 xXBatmanXx

think you are underestimating the human animal here. Humans are a social animal first and foremost, if you take a look at most of major the major catastrophes from our past history you will find that most of them have brought human comunities closer together. In our time of need we look to each other.

heh, define community.....If something happened in NE Minneapolis in my neighborhood, I agree with you. When a tornado went through North Minneapolis, people looted businesses and homes....and they didn't "HELP" eachother in New Orleans when their cesspool of a city flooded....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

36. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 08:01 gray

InBlack wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 07:43:
Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 07:31:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 00:05:
Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 22:15:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:54:
Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:51:
Wow! Apparently lots of people want to be dicks to their fellow man, kill them, and steal their stuff.
I unfortunately know enough people in the realz that if there was hunting license for people they'd be on it. And not for revenge on someone you don't like, nope just the sport of it. It's amazing anything works.
ImO
Exactly. It has been said that DayZ is a realistic simulation of what will happen if/when society breaks down (probably without the zombies though). I for one would rather not be reminded of it.

I completely disagree. Some of the nicest people I know in real life are hardcore griefers in online games.

If you think video games are an accurate portrayal of how people would behave in real life, you are advocating the same argument as people such as Jack Thompson, and others like him who want to ban video games for ridiculous reasons. Can you not see the double standard?

I think you are misunderstanding. The game is set up as sort of a no rules sandbox and the players are loosed in it to do as they will. Given that I think it is telling that the first instinct the vast majority of the game's players is to kill every loner they come across. That is undoubtedly an accurate reflection of what would happen in the event of a real societal collapse. Placed in an environment without rules or boundaries invariably brings out the worst in people.

I think you are underestimating the human animal here. Humans are a social animal first and foremost, if you take a look at most of major the major catastrophes from our past history you will find that most of them have brought human comunities closer together. In our time of need we look to each other.

Sure the crazy prepper with an arsenal to last him 1000 years and a nuclear bunker will probably spray you with bullets as soon as he sees you, but you gotta take into account that this is exactly what he was waiting for and hoping for his whole life. Most people will just want to survive.

You're saying the same thing I think, DayZ has that realistic behaviour at it's core but then modified by the internet fuckwad theory.

35. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 07:43 InBlack

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 07:31:
Wow! Apparently lots of people want to be dicks to their fellow man, kill them, and steal their stuff.
I unfortunately know enough people in the realz that if there was hunting license for people they'd be on it. And not for revenge on someone you don't like, nope just the sport of it. It's amazing anything works.
ImO
Exactly. It has been said that DayZ is a realistic simulation of what will happen if/when society breaks down (probably without the zombies though). I for one would rather not be reminded of it.

I completely disagree. Some of the nicest people I know in real life are hardcore griefers in online games.

If you think video games are an accurate portrayal of how people would behave in real life, you are advocating the same argument as people such as Jack Thompson, and others like him who want to ban video games for ridiculous reasons. Can you not see the double standard?

I think you are misunderstanding. The game is set up as sort of a no rules sandbox and the players are loosed in it to do as they will. Given that I think it is telling that the first instinct the vast majority of the game's players is to kill every loner they come across. That is undoubtedly an accurate reflection of what would happen in the event of a real societal collapse. Placed in an environment without rules or boundaries invariably brings out the worst in people.

I think you are underestimating the human animal here. Humans are a social animal first and foremost, if you take a look at most of major the major catastrophes from our past history you will find that most of them have brought human comunities closer together. In our time of need we look to each other.

Sure the crazy prepper with an arsenal to last him 1000 years and a nuclear bunker will probably spray you with bullets as soon as he sees you, but you gotta take into account that this is exactly what he was waiting for and hoping for his whole life. Most people will just want to survive.

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 07:31 Prez

ImO

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 03:40 InBlack

Creston and Bats have made some really good points here. Im worried.  

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 02:40 Fantaz

is it all children that buy this game? seriously... take the credit cards away from your kids! (or they will buy DayZ steam codes)  

31. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 00:05 JohnBirshire

30. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 22:32 Prez

I know both of those Twilight Zone episodes well. I watched every episode that was on Netflix streaming a couple of years back. That was a good show!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 22:23 xXBatmanXx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shelter_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

28. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 22:15 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 19:07 xXBatmanXx

"The best part about DayZ's success, for me, is that I can now make all the money, er I mean games I've always wanted and never finish this game either! THANKS FOR THE MONEY BAGS BITCHES!"

ftfy

26. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 18:54 HorrorScope

25. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 18:51 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 17:20 harlock

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 12:31:
harlock wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 12:16:
id much rather play a mutant or robot apocalypse survival game instead of a zombie apocalypse
Check out "Sir you are being hunted"

ive played it but so far there isnt much content on offer

its ok i suppose

23. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 16:35 Acleacius

Is this pvp only or are there server settings, which only allow Coop/PvE and no pvp ganking?  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 15:52 Krovven

There was once a time, people actually got paid a good hourly wage to alpha/beta test for 3-6 months before the games release...AND get a free copy of the game.

Now people are willing to pay tens, hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to get early access to play buggy games. It's just retarded.

There's a line between backing something on Kickstarter that otherwise would never have seen the light of day, to something like DayZ where the massive sales boost they received for Arma 2 (from the success of DayZ mod) should have more than covered the dev costs for Arma 3 and DayZ stand alone. Nevermind that it has taken them how long to get to the point they are at now and stating that it will be another year before they even call it beta.

Fuck that.

I think Grim Dawn is the only (still in) Early Access game I own, and that was from backing it on Kickstarter (which I regret at this point). War of the Overworld is the only other that I can think of that I'm interested in and I won't be giving them my money until it's complete or almost complete and likely cheaper.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo