Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

81. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2014, 16:29 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 13:08:
There's also no justification for throwing a bag of popcorn at someone

Have we rec'd the final blow by blow on this? I'm not sure what the texter did do beyond the point of reason. Some pop corn was allegedly said to have been tossed towards the gunner. But there is a lot missing that we don't know. Pop corn I doubt would get assault, however it can escalate things, but I don't know what was done in total prior to really say Pop corn was over the top.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2014, 13:08 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 12:16:
You debunked nothing.

Hahaha sure except for that whole part where you tried to paint everyone else as a minority that just hates people using "electronic devices" when the reality is exactly the opposite.

But if someone in a case like this doesn't abide by it (for who knows what reason), violence in any sense isn't justified

There's also no justification for throwing a bag of popcorn at someone, both parties escalated beyond the point of reason. It was a stupid, avoidable situation that could have been stopped at several points. I do have an easy way to make sure you aren't targeted by people trolling for texters at the movie theater though - don't do it.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

79. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2014, 12:16 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 20:34:
[You stick it, I've already debunked that nonsense twice. We're a gadget based society, people love electronics and this site is full of tech heads. What people don't like is selfish people with no understanding of social etiquette who disrupt things for everyone else.

You debunked nothing. Hey I get the courtesy thing and am for it. But if someone in a case like this doesn't abide by it (for who knows what reason), violence in any sense isn't justified. I then believe if the viewer would just watch what is on the screen, the silent texter is a near invisible happening. This man was trolling texters looking for trouble. That is way more wrong than a texter.

78. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 20:34 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 19:42:
Stick it. Someone called me I liar, when I in fact did it. My test is better than any test I can read, since well... I did it first hand. You are right it's not ideal to do it, because people just get upset when others use electronics in their presence. But to the story and to several reactions here, no one deserves to get hit or shot at. Anyone believing that is a retard. Texting is silent and almost unnoticeable when you have your 2 cents focused on what it should be.

You stick it, I've already debunked that nonsense twice. We're a gadget based society, people love electronics and this site is full of tech heads. What people don't like is selfish people with no understanding of social etiquette who disrupt things for everyone else. Theaters have policy against it, numerous warnings and etc for a reason because the majority finds it disruptive. As for the story its all been said already - a stupid, avoidable and pointless death by a disturbed idiot brought on by a ridiculous escalation between two parties who acted like children.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2014, 20:43.

77. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 19:42 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 13:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 12:14:
I didn't test that, but the story mentioned the person in front of, and not on the side. This is like road rage but in a theater.

No one cares about some informal test, it proves nothing at all either way.

Stick it. Someone called me I liar, when I in fact did it. My test is better than any test I can read, since well... I did it first hand. You are right it's not ideal to do it, because people just get upset when others use electronics in their presence. But to the story and to several reactions here, no one deserves to get hit or shot at. Anyone believing that is a retard. Texting is silent and almost unnoticeable when you have your 2 cents focused on what it should be. Since this guy did it to a couple a couple weeks prior, he was trolling.

76. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 17:51 Beamer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 16:27:
Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 12:49:
nin wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 11:56:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 11:43:
Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 00:05:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:13:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 17:44:
Fueling a different fire, I do not turn off my phone during movies and never, ever will.
It's always on vibrate, no matter where I am, and if I'm in a movie it's somewhere I can quickly and easily hit the "silence" button to end it after the second vibration (long enough to tell if it's an email, text or call.)

But I need it on. If something were to go wrong at work, and I was disconnected for 3 hours, I'd be screwed. And, frankly, there's always the chance a family member has some emergency.

Regardless, it's 2014. It's very hard for many, many people to completely disconnect from work. Which sucks. Computers and cellphones really kind of make sure that you can dive deeper and more efficiently, but expect you to do more work and longer hours.
But, come review time, if something went wrong and you ignored the communications because you were watching American Hustle, well, that is going to come back and haunt you.

I don't agree. I think it is more important than ever to unplug for several hours a day. You got along just fine in the 80s and before without a phone....deal with it.

Depends on your job.
Some people can't. I can't. I need to be available if a decision is made immediately. Sometimes, rather often, this is needed immediately.

If you're someone needed to make a decision, or inform a decision, and you're not reachable because you're seeing Hercules, you're probably going to have a rough time for the next few weeks at work.

An organization that only has 1 decision maker.....isn't setup properly....

NO! If he misses one call, it's the end of the universe!!!!!!!! He's so important!!!!!!

Murphy's Law - the one call you miss is the one call that was urgent.

Batman - sometimes redundancies don't make sense, and other times you just prefer to always have the full ownership rather than delegate it to someone else, because if the wrong decision is made you're still the one held responsible.

I worked the corporate world reporting directly to the executive staff for a long time.....you need things in place so your people (and you) aren't the only ones....there is a reason we go home at the end of the day. If you can't trust the person you assign as a backup to make the right decisions in your absence, then fire them and get the right people in there.

That works for some industries, not for all.
If you're a company that does dozens or even hundreds of deals per day, having "backup" isn't economically feasible. One person is responsible for those deals. That person reports to someone, but that someone is too busy to know everything all their employees are working on.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

75. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 16:27 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 12:49:
Fueling a different fire, I do not turn off my phone during movies and never, ever will.
It's always on vibrate, no matter where I am, and if I'm in a movie it's somewhere I can quickly and easily hit the "silence" button to end it after the second vibration (long enough to tell if it's an email, text or call.)

But I need it on. If something were to go wrong at work, and I was disconnected for 3 hours, I'd be screwed. And, frankly, there's always the chance a family member has some emergency.

Regardless, it's 2014. It's very hard for many, many people to completely disconnect from work. Which sucks. Computers and cellphones really kind of make sure that you can dive deeper and more efficiently, but expect you to do more work and longer hours.
But, come review time, if something went wrong and you ignored the communications because you were watching American Hustle, well, that is going to come back and haunt you.

I don't agree. I think it is more important than ever to unplug for several hours a day. You got along just fine in the 80s and before without a phone....deal with it.

Depends on your job.
Some people can't. I can't. I need to be available if a decision is made immediately. Sometimes, rather often, this is needed immediately.

If you're someone needed to make a decision, or inform a decision, and you're not reachable because you're seeing Hercules, you're probably going to have a rough time for the next few weeks at work.

NO! If he misses one call, it's the end of the universe!!!!!!!! He's so important!!!!!!

Batman - sometimes redundancies don't make sense, and other times you just prefer to always have the full ownership rather than delegate it to someone else, because if the wrong decision is made you're still the one held responsible.

I worked the corporate world reporting directly to the executive staff for a long time.....you need things in place so your people (and you) aren't the only ones....there is a reason we go home at the end of the day. If you can't trust the person you assign as a backup to make the right decisions in your absence, then fire them and get the right people in there.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

74. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 13:11 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 12:14:
I didn't test that, but the story mentioned the person in front of, and not on the side. This is like road rage but in a theater.

No one cares about some informal test, it proves nothing at all either way. There is a reason theaters have both policy and very blatant warnings not to use a cell phone in a theater and its because it is disruptive to the majority of moviegoers. You tried to paint people here as some overreactive minority but the reality is that people who don't find them disruptive are the extreme minority and no one is going to cater to them.

It really sucks that this guy lost the psycho lottery and died over something so stupid but no one was advocating that it was ok because he used a cell phone.

73. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 12:49 Beamer

Depends on your job.

-------------

72. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 12:14 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 07:12:
I'm not the guy with the made up test to affirm my opinion on the internet, that's pretty unstable.

And you are wrong. No I did in fact do that with 4 of us. We talked about the story, talked about the insensitive people online and then we said, lets just see. Sorry you can't believe it but it is your bad, took no time at all to test. The one suggestion mentioned here was peripheral vision and light being more sensitive that way. I didn't test that, but the story mentioned the person in front of, and not on the side. This is like road rage but in a theater.

71. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 11:56 nin

Depends on your job.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

70. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 11:43 xXBatmanXx

Depends on your job.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

69. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 08:47 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 19:57:
In theater room dark, it was just barely visible (when focusing on the screen), with a light screen, not visible. Everyone came out saying it wasn't an issue at all.

What I found out here is we have some really wound up mo'fo's here. The games are failing you, they aren't relaxing many here at all. I took the pepsi challenge, the light was negligible. And no matter how much it possibly could be, shooting someone is unfathomable for this.

People have an issue of others using electronic devices in their presence, I believe that is the issue. They just want people to put their shit away. It's the same ole shit of some people have a vision of the world and it has to be that way or they are pissed. It happens in so many things. You will be much more happy when you embrace people are different and don't sweat the small stuff.

That is some pretty dubious stuff, if you couldn't see a cellphone screen in a dark theater then I think you've got eyesight problems. No one said shooting someone for this is OK, that's a strawman. People are saying that using your cell in a theater is selfish, stupid and will get you into trouble with other patrons. You keep trying to put it on like the majority want cell use so you can paint people here as selfish but the reality is the opposite, there's a reason every single theater has loud and obnoxious cell phone warnings. Most also have a policy prohibiting their use during the film, if someone complains you can be tossed out for it at almost every theater I've attended.

I use my cell all the time but I am careful to respect other peoples boundaries and take into account how my actions might affect them. The hundred or so people paying $20-40 to go to a movie deserve a quiet, enjoyable experience. I also don't take a noisy phone call in a small restaurant filled with couples. If you don't understand the basic etiquette I'm talking about then this is pointless. You'll just have to learn the hard way that putting your needs above everyone else in a way that affects them is being supremely selfish and people will not hesitate to make you aware of it. I hope for your sake you don't make a habit of it because sooner or later you will meet someone who is shall we say, less respectful of personal boundaries.

Personally I just let it slide unless they start talking or texting but many people do not share my patience and I can't say I blame them. It's almost as classless and silly as the guy who leaves his cell on during a symphony.

68. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 07:12 Redmask

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 00:31:
Redmask wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:34:
I actually tested this with 4 people today a bit after lunch. 2 of us were totally thinking it isn't really even noticeable (me being 1). 1 thought for sure it would be, the last just wasn't sure. People have an issue of others using electronic devices in their presence, I believe that is the issue. They just want people to put their shit away. It's the same ole shit of some people have a vision of the world and it has to be that way or they are pissed. It happens in so many things. You will be much more happy when you embrace people are different and don't sweat the small stuff.

How convenient you just happened to do a test with 3 other people we can't hear from and that its results back up your opinion. I did my own test with 5 other people and man we were all super annoyed, I guess I win. No one cares about device use, we all have phones and use them all the time, you're just being obtuse. People just want to go to a movie without some selfish dickhead distracting them with their phone that has its brightness set to sun level so he can check his facebook messages. You will be much happier when you're not pissing off people at the movie theater, put your phone away for 2 hours of your life or stay at home.

IMO you are unstable.

I'm not the guy with the made up test to affirm my opinion on the internet, that's pretty unstable. I'm just considerate about other people in public, how insane of me Rolleyes

But if that's the level you want to sink to then two can play at that game. IMO you are have no manners and are completely unaware that the universe doesn't revolve around you. If I saw you doing that at a theater I would embarrass you in front of everyone and probably get a round of applause for it because most people do not want idiots on their phones at the show.

But they were annoyed anyway and your self centeredness never even thought for a second how others around you must feel.

Irony much?

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2014, 07:26.

67. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 00:35 HorrorScope

A lot of these comments are like always thinking the other guy on the road is an asshole, never thinking your the asshole to someone else. I bet there have been times you have used a device that others around you rather you not have, but you had something to do, did it and it really doesn't harm anyone. But they were annoyed anyway and your self centeredness never even thought for a second how others around you must feel. This is all about patience and perspective.  

66. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 00:31 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:34:
I actually tested this with 4 people today a bit after lunch. 2 of us were totally thinking it isn't really even noticeable (me being 1). 1 thought for sure it would be, the last just wasn't sure. People have an issue of others using electronic devices in their presence, I believe that is the issue. They just want people to put their shit away. It's the same ole shit of some people have a vision of the world and it has to be that way or they are pissed. It happens in so many things. You will be much more happy when you embrace people are different and don't sweat the small stuff.

How convenient you just happened to do a test with 3 other people we can't hear from and that its results back up your opinion. I did my own test with 5 other people and man we were all super annoyed, I guess I win. No one cares about device use, we all have phones and use them all the time, you're just being obtuse. People just want to go to a movie without some selfish dickhead distracting them with their phone that has its brightness set to sun level so he can check his facebook messages. You will be much happier when you're not pissing off people at the movie theater, put your phone away for 2 hours of your life or stay at home.

IMO you are unstable.

65. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2014, 00:05 Beamer

Depends on your job.

-------------

64. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 23:54 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 23:28:
I think it is more important than ever to unplug for several hours a day. You got along just fine in the 80s and before without a phone....deal with it.

1000 times THIS! I hate that I am expected to be reachable every second of every day. I'm not ever going to be, simply for my own sanity.

Was in a job like that - it was very unhealthy....my Dr literally said "quit your job or die within 10 years"......and I was in my 20s....not good.

If you are expected to work 20 hours a day, you need to be paid 20 hours a day. Period. I had jobs where I was "on call" and they quickly figured out that was expensive for them. Set expectations early....

63. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 23:37 nin

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 23:28:
I think it is more important than ever to unplug for several hours a day. You got along just fine in the 80s and before without a phone....deal with it.

1000 times THIS! I hate that I am expected to be reachable every second of every day. I'm not ever going to be, simply for my own sanity.

3rd'd. Was on vacation last week. Told the boss "the cell phone is going off"...bliss.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

62. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 23:28 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo