Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The NFL playoffs were as good as expected over the weekend. My favorite thing about the Denver game is that someone entered the cheat code for big head mode. Concussions are a serious business, but I'd be lying if I denied that helmet made me laugh every time I saw it.

Also, the first Game of Thrones season four trailer debuted last night in all its awesomeness. I just want to know why a show where one of the most oft-repeated phrases is "winter is coming" airs in the spring.

R.I.P.: One of Japan's Oldest (and Most Hardcore) Gamers Passed Away.

Big Head Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dojo of Death.
Stories: "Archer" Launches Racy Reddit Ads.
Banks Say No to Marijuana Money, Legal or Not.
LA Drought to Worsen, Fire Danger Rises.
Science: Immune cells inadvertently help bacteria form persistent infections.
X-Ray Glasses Medical Advancement. Thanks HARDOCP.
Media: Low Flying and Crazy Fast Passes. NSFW.
Olympic Swimming. NSFW.
Ninja Baseball Batman - Angry Video Game Nerd. NSFW. Thanks Keisar.
Follow-up: AMC Reveals Better Call Saul Will Debut in November; Mad Men's Return Date and More.
The Funnies: xkcd: Inexplicable.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 08:29 Mr. Tact

Can I lay a bet down in Vegas on whether he finishes it before he dies? He might, but if I was going to bet I think I'd bet against.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 03:53 InBlack

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 01:08:
PHJF wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 15:29:
Lot of hate on GRRM. The guy has written five (long) books and I've loved every word of it. He can have all the time he wants.

He's 65 years old, so how much longer does he really have? If he plans to write 4 more books to finish everything, and he takes 5 years per book, I wouldn't lay even odds that he ever makes it to the finish line.

He has stated that he wants to finish the series in 7 seven books tops. It was supposed to be six, but then the he had to split book4 into Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 01:08 Creston

Lot of hate on GRRM. The guy has written five (long) books and I've loved every word of it. He can have all the time he wants.

He's 65 years old, so how much longer does he really have? If he plans to write 4 more books to finish everything, and he takes 5 years per book, I wouldn't lay even odds that he ever makes it to the finish line.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 00:06 dj LiTh

I'm at an interesting point in the GoT series, i first watched all the episodes and seasons until now and got hooked. On the hiatus waiting for season 4 i started reading the books. So far so good, except my delema, i'm now at exactly the point where season 3 ends and s4 begins and i'm not sure if i want to continue with the books then watch the show or watch the show then follow along with the books. I'm thinking the latter...  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 23:09 xXBatmanXx

ARCHER VICE!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 21:04 nin

mag wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 15:18:
Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 11:38:
Yeah, I honestly don't know why the producers of the GoT show thought it'd be a good idea to launch it so soon. Did they honestly believe for a second that George would have it wrapped up in time for them to translate it to the small screen? Smoke a little more crack while you're at it.

Even though Joran needlessly milked the shit out of WoT he still actually delivered product on a regular basis.

My understanding is that GRRM has shared/will share the rest of the story with the show runners, if the series passes him, so that they can continue to the end without the books being done.

I've heard the same. He has a basic outline of the end of the series, so that in the event of his death, another writer can step in.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 18:29 xXBatmanXx

LA Drought to Worsen, Fire Danger Rises.

Sooo....fire danger in the desert? Got it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 17:46 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 17:04:

Not hate, frustration. Dude, just get it the fuck done already. 18 years to deliver 5 books isn't exactly productive. At this rate it'll be 5 more years - at least - before the series is done.

Exactly. Obviously we love his books, but come on. He spends more time fucking about than writing. Even Robert Jordan, who wrote fairly slowly at times, put out more books in a 20 year period.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 17:28 harlock

no he cant. fuck him

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 17:04 Cutter

Not hate, frustration. Dude, just get it the fuck done already. 18 years to deliver 5 books isn't exactly productive. At this rate it'll be 5 more years - at least - before the series is done.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 16:36 Mr. Tact

I have no hate for him, but I'm not going to start reading GoT until he actually finishes it. (Assuming he doesn't die first, which I'm not sure is a safe bet)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 15:33 Hoop

Coming from a Rugby strong nation I would be lying if I denied all American football helmets made me laugh, that & dedicated defences & offences. But don't get me wrong when they stop fucking around running on & off to put a significant sequence together it can be incredible to watch.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2014, 15:53.

Um .. Behind you...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 15:29 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 15:18 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 11:38:
Yeah, I honestly don't know why the producers of the GoT show thought it'd be a good idea to launch it so soon. Did they honestly believe for a second that George would have it wrapped up in time for them to translate it to the small screen? Smoke a little more crack while you're at it.

Even though Joran needlessly milked the shit out of WoT he still actually delivered product on a regular basis.

My understanding is that GRRM has shared/will share the rest of the story with the show runners, if the series passes him, so that they can continue to the end without the books being done.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 15:08 Krovven

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 14:57:
Jordan is the reason I never, ever, start a series that isn't finished. So I've not even looked at Song of Fire and Ice... heh and Deadwood has made me avoid (mostly) any TV series that isn't complete so I've avoided GoT too.

While I agree it's awful that Deadwood was cancelled, without good reason, I'd rather have those 3 seasons of Deadwood then have never had it at all. Amazing show, superb writing and acting and still one of my favorites. If Game of Thrones were to not exist after the next season or two (book 5, they are making the seasons faster than he can write the books) I wouldn't care. I'd rather have had the last 3 going on 4 seasons and not have had it at all.

Some stories are not meant to have an "ending". Walking Dead comics are still going...at the rate they are making the tv series, the show would still be going 100 years a from now.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 14:57 Yosemite Sam

Jordan is the reason I never, ever, start a series that isn't finished. So I've not even looked at Song of Fire and Ice... heh and Deadwood has made me avoid (mostly) any TV series that isn't complete so I've avoided GoT too.  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 14:46 Agent.X7

Prez wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 13:11:
Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 09:31:
Haha yeah, good luck with that. Gave up on Martin a long time ago, guy has terrible work habits. Blogs a billion times about football, pizza and attending conventions but takes 5 years to finish a book.

No one was as bad as Robert Jordan. He was just out of control. He kept padding his Wheel series with tons upon tons of fluff. Entire books were written where virtually nothing happened. I gave up in disgust after the ninth book. If I had to read about one more paragraph about pointless and utterly meaningless plotlines with pointless, ancillary people... Or had to sit through just one more never-ending sequence where two of his ridiculously caricatured female characters had a battle of wits to see who could be the bigger cunt...ARGH! I have never wasted so much time turning pages wishing something - ANYTHING! - interesting would happen. He destroyed an extremely promising series; the ending of the sixth book was possibly the best, most satisfying ending to a book I had ever read. Even then, if he cut out the meaningless, boring parts ,that really should have been the ending of the FOURTH book.

I love Robert Jordan, but yeah. If he'd have saved all those plots and characters that really had no bearing on the main story, maybe put them in their own books later on, he could have done the whole thing in 6 books tops. And as much as I love his writing, half the time he'd switch to a character and I would be like "who the fuck IS this?" and have to look it up online. Oh, some damn character he introduced 3 books ago that we haven't heard from since. OK, how was I supposed to remember this person?

Martin? I firmly believe he is letting the show writers go on without him. He will NEVER finish Song of Ice and Fire before he dies. I don't even watch the show. I didn't like it. I love the books, but he will maybe get one more out before he dies. Brandon Sanderson will probably have to finish his series too.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 13:11 Prez

Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 09:31:
Haha yeah, good luck with that. Gave up on Martin a long time ago, guy has terrible work habits. Blogs a billion times about football, pizza and attending conventions but takes 5 years to finish a book.

No one was as bad as Robert Jordan. He was just out of control. He kept padding his Wheel series with tons upon tons of fluff. Entire books were written where virtually nothing happened. I gave up in disgust after the ninth book. If I had to read about one more paragraph about pointless and utterly meaningless plotlines with pointless, ancillary people... Or had to sit through just one more never-ending sequence where two of his ridiculously caricatured female characters had a battle of wits to see who could be the bigger cunt...ARGH! I have never wasted so much time turning pages wishing something - ANYTHING! - interesting would happen. He destroyed an extremely promising series; the ending of the sixth book was possibly the best, most satisfying ending to a book I had ever read. Even then, if he cut out the meaningless, boring parts ,that really should have been the ending of the FOURTH book.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 12:11 harlock

Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 11:35:
harlock wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 11:23:
true detective

yeh man

Was the pilot any good? I passed out watching some old movie called Elephant and missed it.

yeh it was, and if they can keep it up it will be a hit for sure

writing and acting is film quality so far

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 11:38 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo