Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam last week:

1. DayZ
  2. Rust
  3. Starbound
  4. METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
  5. 7 Days to Die
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Torchlight II
  8. Garry's Mod
  9. GODUS
  10. Kingdom Rush

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:13 Wallshadows

MajorD wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 13:36:
As far as DayZ SA goes, I was gifted that, so of course I put some time into it, but I wish the graphics were better optimized at this stage, as it is too sluggish and like playing in molasses sometimes, which becomes aggravating after a while. I just don't see DayZ SA becoming more interactive than it is now (i.e. opening cabinets, closets, etc.), which is a shame, but I could be completely wrong. I understand it is still in Alpha, and will be for a while, but they obviously have a lot of work to do, as it is still 'very' clunky.

My friend who bought the DayZ SA pretty much told me I threw away my money for buying 7DTD and how I should have bought Rust instead or the SA. I just rolled my eyes and asked him how it felt to pay more for far less with the SA when he already had the mod and that it's not my fault he thinks any game that uses Voxel lego-tech is 'retarded gay'.

Needless to say, he hasn't said anything since and his SA activity has fallen off drastically so I have a hunch he's back in the mod.

As for Rust, I was looking in to it but when I laid it all out, it's really only half of what I was looking for when comparing to 7DTD. The buildings look smoother but without any form of terrain deformation (that I saw), it just didn't tickle me the right way.

DayZ I just play the Epoch mod when I feel the need.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:12 MajorD

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 13:43:
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that non-finished games make up half the chart?

Yes and no. "Yes" if it becomes the norm, but "no" if I know it is an Indie developer that I am helping with cash flow in order to continue with the development of a game that already has a solid core and has a lot of potential. My only concern is if they don't complete the game as originally intended and you don't end up with what was promised. In some sense it's not too different from a kickstarter.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:09 Axis

There's too many developers who won't care much about following through once they have money in hand. Programmers are notorious at working on the fun stuff like adding new ideas or moving on to more interesting projects instead of bug hunting and optimizing code.

I'm unwilling to pay to find out how an unknown developer is at business building. I only pay for games I think I'll fully enjoy in it's current state.

That's how it's going to end for at least half of these "early access pay me for alpha invites" games - not good for the developers reputation or the gamers wallet.

Yours truly,

Axis

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:01 Squirmer

I think early access is generally good and is in the best traditions of PC games (e.g. forgiving bugs and messiness in appreciation of good design).

Buyers will ultimately decide whether a game is worth playing 'early'. There are some early access games with no 'game' to them, and those are the ones that don't make the best sellers list (e.g. Space Engineers, which is only an engine and not much else).

The first 3 games on this list all have a 'game' already, even if they lack a bunch of features. The core is solid, and new additions will add depth, but the game is there. That's the key; the games that will succeed at early access are the ones that are well designed at their core.

It's also worth remembering that this isn't a new thing, just more common nowadays. Mount & Blade offered early access to its beta a long time before the final game was released.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 14:38 J

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 12:43:
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on revengeance. It's got some good buzz. Any impressions?
Totalbiscuit recently uploaded a 'WTF is' video on YouTube about it.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 14:20 harlock

its like you have to discipline yourself... ive bought a couple early access games, but i only play them for a few hours to get an idea of where its at and how far along it is, and to make sure i will like the end result

then i stop playing and forget about them until they are finished

kinda sucks that you have to manually calibrate your own exposure to games still-in-progress, but i guess its a new world out there

honestly im not sure its going to work out all that well.. its sorta optimistic to think everyone does development "for the love of the game" and not just to sell a copy... because once youve got the money already, then thats the only motivation left... but im way too cynical to believe the vast majority of devs are "doing it for love" or whatever - and really, motivations in general are mostly subconscious anyways so it doesnt even matter what your conscious intentions are

we'll see how it pans out in a couple years

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 14:04 xXBatmanXx

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 13:52:
2014 is going to be the year that "early access" either proves itself, or crashes and burns like an airship called Titanic Hindenberg.

There is a lot of games right now that people are waiting on, and most of them got delayed (ha) to this year. Personally I'm done buying these until a few of the ones I did buy get finished up.

I nearly bought DayZ until I read that they think they'll be able to call it beta a year from now. Great for the ppl that don't mind, but count me out.

Yea, I think I am done with early access. Once I play the hell out of it - I probably won't come back when the game is "finished". I don't see early access being good for gaming.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 13:52 Beelzebud

2014 is going to be the year that "early access" either proves itself, or crashes and burns like an airship called Titanic Hindenberg.

There is a lot of games right now that people are waiting on, and most of them got delayed (ha) to this year. Personally I'm done buying these until a few of the ones I did buy get finished up.

I nearly bought DayZ until I read that they think they'll be able to call it beta a year from now. Great for the ppl that don't mind, but count me out.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 13:45 JayDeath

The top 3 are all early access. So much for hoping that scheme would just fade away.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 13:43 Beelzebud

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that non-finished games make up half the chart?  

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 13:36 MajorD

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 12:50:
I bought 7 Days to Die out on a whim. It's fun but it's plagued by online connectivity issues which makes hosting a public game a pain in the ass. Also, the current world is much too small and, without any kind of random map generation, makes the game far too predictable in regards to construction and survival.

It's definitely an Alpha title, so I got what I paid for but it's easy to see what kind of potential this game will have once they open up the world, bring in random generation, introduce more crafting materials and give the tools to the Steam community. Most of which is coming in the soon-to-be-released Alpha 6 update.

Yeah, agree with your comments. I have been playing most/all standalone to experiment with different stuff and learn and I am having a blast with it. I'm looking forward to Alpha 6 release. There is a lot of potential here no doubt, but for an alpha it is much more polished than RUST. As far as RUST goes, it is fun too, and granted it is still in Alpha as well, but there is still a long way to go with that game. Both are fun in their own way and I am enjoying them both, but mostly 7DTD.....probably because the crafting system/UI is better at this stage and resources are more/easily available which opens up more things to craft. I'm surprised RUST is doing better than 7DTD IMHO.

As far as DayZ SA goes, I was gifted that, so of course I put some time into it, but I wish the graphics were better optimized at this stage, as it is too sluggish and like playing in molasses sometimes, which becomes aggravating after a while. I just don't see DayZ SA becoming more interactive than it is now (i.e. opening cabinets, closets, etc.), which is a shame, but I could be completely wrong. I understand it is still in Alpha, and will be for a while, but they obviously have a lot of work to do, as it is still 'very' clunky.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2014, 13:43.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 13:20 Wolfox

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 12:43:
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on revengeance. It's got some good buzz. Any impressions?

So far I really like it. Gameplay is excellent, it looks pretty good, and no performance problems anywhere (it's really smooth). I'm playing with a controller, though, so I have no idea how good (or bad) the K&M controls are.

If you like the genre, I would definitely recommend it, assuming you have no issues with the crazy region-locking.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 12:50 Wallshadows

I bought 7 Days to Die out on a whim. It's fun but it's plagued by online connectivity issues which makes hosting a public game a pain in the ass. Also, the current world is much too small and, without any kind of random map generation, makes the game far too predictable in regards to construction and survival.

It's definitely an Alpha title, so I got what I paid for but it's easy to see what kind of potential this game will have once they open up the world, bring in random generation, introduce more crafting materials and give the tools to the Steam community. Most of which is coming in the soon-to-be-released Alpha 6 update.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 12:43 Dagnamit

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo