Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam last week:

1. DayZ
  2. Rust
  3. Starbound
  4. METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
  5. 7 Days to Die
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Torchlight II
  8. Garry's Mod
  9. GODUS
  10. Kingdom Rush

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 21:25 jimnms

LesCaster wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 13:12:
True. The problem is that there enough people out there that will buy incomplete games thus ensuring that the practice continues. So, if it's the selling of unfinished games that one is opposed to, which I happen to be, then my not buying it won't really "solve" the problem.

There isn't much difference between buying early access and Kickstarter type projects. At least with early access there is a product that you can begin playing right away, some even have demos. The money going to an early access game is sort of like a pledge because it's supposed to be going toward farther development of the game, but you get to begin playing the early alpha/beta right away rather than wait 1-2 years before seeing anything.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 13:12 LesCaster

caveat emptor. no one is forcing people to buy a thing that they know is incomplete and may never be complete.

True. The problem is that there enough people out there that will buy incomplete games thus ensuring that the practice continues. So, if it's the selling of unfinished games that one is opposed to, which I happen to be, then my not buying it won't really "solve" the problem.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 10:32 Axis

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 04:45:
Axis wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 15:09:
There's too many developers who won't care much about following through once they have money in hand. Programmers are notorious at working on the fun stuff like adding new ideas or moving on to more interesting projects instead of bug hunting and optimizing code.

I'm unwilling to pay to find out how an unknown developer is at business building. I only pay for games I think I'll fully enjoy in it's current state.

That's how it's going to end for at least half of these "early access pay me for alpha invites" games - not good for the developers reputation or the gamers wallet.

While I only buy finished games, and agree with the premise of only buying games you will enjoy in their current state, I disagree with your assertion that many devs don't follow through. Indie devs are very committed to their games. And even when a major studio pulls tbe plug on a game you usually see the individual devs fixing bugs in their free time after the fact, sometimes for years.

Certainly I'd agree that many indie devs have been historically committed, but a huge part of that commitment was because they've had to complete their game to reap the rewards (with few exceptions along the way). This "free release money" while they work on it is relatively new in the timeline of developing games at least mainstream-wise, and we're already seeing plenty of titles that showed great promise go by the wayside after money has been placed in their hands.

Castlestory, Cubeworld and Starforge are all current examples of my point -- the ones I'm intimately familiar with so can site them with confidence. I could probably site a dozen more I've forgotten about reading and I'm sure many of you have similar titles you could name. As always, buyer beware...

Yours truly,

Axis

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 10:22 RenownWolf

Ahh the old days when a company would release things called Demos before the release, and did Test versions if they needed... Free versions limited parts and released even before the Demos (Q/Q2/Q3 test ftw!).

I love the idea of Dayz/Rust, but I can't deal with their current development states.

http://www.renownwolf.com

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 10:07 Verno

I don't buy early access games anymore, the value proposition is not worth it and I do enough beta testing for the AAA industry without doing it for indies too.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 08:54 JoeNapalm

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 17:45:
Yeah, I'm pretty much done with KS and Early Access stuff at this point. If something comes along that would be truly awesome to see - e.g. a remake or homage to games like Outlaws, Insterstate '76, etc. - I might....might...go in. Otherwise nope.

Yeah, I hear ya, man. I mean...wait..what?

Outlaws? Interstate '76?

*throws money at the screen*

-Jn-

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 08:14 PHJF

It is. Very good. Thanks to people like you we get games, which we otherwise probably would not get.

Why wouldn't we get these universally low-budget indie games otherwise?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 06:20 Kajetan

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 14:04:
I don't see early access being good for gaming.
It is. Very good. Thanks to people like you we get games, which we otherwise probably would not get. Thank you! And i mean it

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 04:53 jdreyer

Also, I thought the survival genre had run its course. This list proves me pretty wrong.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 04:45 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 15:09:
There's too many developers who won't care much about following through once they have money in hand. Programmers are notorious at working on the fun stuff like adding new ideas or moving on to more interesting projects instead of bug hunting and optimizing code.

I'm unwilling to pay to find out how an unknown developer is at business building. I only pay for games I think I'll fully enjoy in it's current state.

That's how it's going to end for at least half of these "early access pay me for alpha invites" games - not good for the developers reputation or the gamers wallet.

While I only buy finished games, and agree with the premise of only buying games you will enjoy in their current state, I disagree with your assertion that many devs don't follow through. Indie devs are very committed to their games. And even when a major studio pulls tbe plug on a game you usually see the individual devs fixing bugs in their free time after the fact, sometimes for years.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 19:21 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 14:04:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 13:52:
2014 is going to be the year that "early access" either proves itself, or crashes and burns like an airship called Titanic Hindenberg.

There is a lot of games right now that people are waiting on, and most of them got delayed (ha) to this year. Personally I'm done buying these until a few of the ones I did buy get finished up.

I nearly bought DayZ until I read that they think they'll be able to call it beta a year from now. Great for the ppl that don't mind, but count me out.

Yea, I think I am done with early access. Once I play the hell out of it - I probably won't come back when the game is "finished". I don't see early access being good for gaming.

I think it depends on the game. I've only bought two early access games on Steam, one of which is Kerbal Space Program. Although it's still in early alpha, it's more stable and complete than many "finished" games. It's also fun as hell, and I can't stop playing it. Even if I do eventually burn out before release, I've already gotten more than my moneys worth out of it. I'm currently at 180+ hours and I haven't even traveled to any other planets yet, so there's still plenty to do.

Minecraft, though it wasn't the first "early access" game, it's probably the most successful, and I guess everyone's trying to get in on that. I bought Minecraft while it was in beta and played the hell out of it during beta and for quite a while after release. I originally played it with a couple of friends at first, but continued to play it solo after our schedules changed and we could never get coordinated to play together. I kind of burned out on it a few releases ago though. It seems that development has accelerated on it since it's "official" release. Each major release, which seem to happen about every 3 months, add new features to the world, which you can only get access to by starting a new game, or traveling far enough in an existing game where new terrain gets generated. I mainly got tired or having to start over to get access to the new stuff.

MeanJim on Steam

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 19:15 Dagnamit

Panickd wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 17:41:
I have a simple rule against buying early access titles. Why would you pay good money for a game that could become something completely different than what you thought it would be when you bought it? If what you create is good I will consider coughing up some money for it when it's finished or at the very least a stable content complete beta (and perhaps steeply discounted in a Steam sale).

It wasn't enough for Valve to dump their vetting process onto the community with Greenlight but now they're actively pushing unfinished software (that may never be finished) onto their users? Are they really that hard up these days?

caveat emptor. no one is forcing people to buy a thing that they know is incomplete and may never be complete. valve clearly thinks the potential to make great games available is worth the risk of people thinking the distributor is somehow responsible for people's uninformed purchases. this practice, in my mind, will result in the greatest gaming period ever. try to enjoy it. and of course, caveat emptor.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 18:21 Panickd

PHJF wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 17:56:
Why would you pay good money for a game that could become something completely different than what you thought it would be when you bought it?

If the devs are any good they will take player feedback into account.
You know, actually beta the product.

From their standpoint, if people are willing to pay for that, why wouldn't they take advantage?

Once someone has paid you for the alpha access though what incentive is there for you to pay attention to anything they have to say? You have their money and whatever the final game turns out to be that isn't going to change whether they are completely happy with it or not. Go and read some of the early access "from the developer" jargon. A lot of it is "we know not every change we make will make everyone happy but you'll have to trust us." No I don't! Make the game you want to make and then I'll tell you if it was any good with my dollars. That's how the system is supposed to work.

As far as I'm concerned the entire thing is crap and it's totally Valve's fault. None of these developers would be able to do this if the people who controlled Steam had any scruples left at all. But of course they could give a shit so long as they're making their 30% per sale.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 18:03 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 17:41:
It wasn't enough for Valve to dump their vetting process onto the community with Greenlight but now they're actively pushing unfinished software (that may never be finished) onto their users? Are they really that hard up these days?

No, but they'd be stupid not to take advantage of this trend. Steam EA is their answer to the popularity of Kickstarter and other forms of crowd-funding. They wouldn't be doing it if the consumer demand wasn't there. You can't pretend the people have no choice in the matter.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 17:56 PHJF

Why would you pay good money for a game that could become something completely different than what you thought it would be when you bought it?

If the devs are any good they will take player feedback into account.
You know, actually beta the product.

From their standpoint, if people are willing to pay for that, why wouldn't they take advantage?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 17:45 Cutter

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with KS and Early Access stuff at this point. If something comes along that would be truly awesome to see - e.g. a remake or homage to games like Outlaws, Insterstate '76, etc. - I might....might...go in. Otherwise nope.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 17:41 Panickd

I have a simple rule against buying early access titles. Why would you pay good money for a game that could become something completely different than what you thought it would be when you bought it? If what you create is good I will consider coughing up some money for it when it's finished or at the very least a stable content complete beta (and perhaps steeply discounted in a Steam sale).

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:52 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 15:42:
WHAT NO SKYRIM???!?!?!

Maybe they ran out of license keys for the week?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:42 Creston

WHAT NO SKYRIM???!?!?!  

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:22 MajorD

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 15:13:
As for Rust, I was looking in to it but when I laid it all out, it's really only half of what I was looking for when comparing to 7DTD. The buildings look smoother but without any form of terrain deformation (that I saw), it just didn't tickle me the right way.

You are correct, at this stage of development there is no terrain deformation in RUST like there is in 7DTD, and I will take an educated guess there won't be any either as compared to 7DTD. The environment is 7DTD is much more interactive, and for what it does, the graphics aren't all that bad either. Again, both are fun in their own right.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo