Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Banished Next Month

Shining Rock Software announces a February 18th release date for Banished, their upcoming city-building strategy game (thanks IncGamers). We've apparently been living under a shiny rock, because this game hasn't been mentioned here, so here's a trailer from last year showing an alpha build, and here is a rundown on the game:

The townspeople of Banished are your primary resource. They are born, grow older, work, have children of their own, and eventually die. Keeping them healthy, happy, and well-fed are essential to making your town grow. Building new homes is not enough—there must be enough people to move in and have families of their own.

Banished has no skill trees. Any structure can be built at any time, provided that your people have collected the resources to do so. There is no money. Instead, your hard-earned resources can be bartered away with the arrival of trade vessels. These merchants are the key to adding livestock and annual crops to the townspeople’s diet; however, their lengthy trade route comes with the risk of bringing illnesses from abroad.

There are twenty different occupations that the people in the city can perform from farming, hunting, and blacksmithing, to mining, teaching, and healing. No single strategy will succeed for every town. Some resources may be more scarce from one map to the next. The player can choose to replant forests, mine for iron, and quarry for rock, but all these choices require setting aside space into which you cannot expand.

The success or failure of a town depends on the appropriate management of risks and resources.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 13, 2014, 08:42 gray

PHJF wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 22:27:
I thought it would be interesting, like with fantasy theme or something (why the fuck is it called Banished?)

This looks boring as fucking hell, like a halfassed Anno title.

You are a group of people cast out from your town forced to begin anew. Looking forward to this one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 11, 2014, 15:33 gilly775

Bradley wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 10:27:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 03:00:
looks boring.

Part of me kind of agrees with you. I think it has awesome potential though, and will still be fun. I'm still going to buy it, and at ~$20 it should be well worth it. I'm just worried that there won't be enough to do in the game to keep me interested for very long. I've been following the game for well over a year, so I've got a fair idea about all the features the developer has talked about. Beyond building, farming , and some fishing/hunting there doesn't seem like there is much going on. From what I've heard there is no real tech tree other than a single upgrade to the tool levels. You can't do any research for new buildings and you never advance beyond a "thatched roof" time period.

There's also no combat which I understand is not the main focus, however, fending off bandits would keep it interesting.

10. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 11, 2014, 10:27 Bradley

looks boring.

Part of me kind of agrees with you. I think it has awesome potential though, and will still be fun. I'm still going to buy it, and at ~$20 it should be well worth it. I'm just worried that there won't be enough to do in the game to keep me interested for very long. I've been following the game for well over a year, so I've got a fair idea about all the features the developer has talked about. Beyond building, farming , and some fishing/hunting there doesn't seem like there is much going on. From what I've heard there is no real tech tree other than a single upgrade to the tool levels. You can't do any research for new buildings and you never advance beyond a "thatched roof" time period.

9. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 11, 2014, 07:16 Ledge

looks boring.

too much thinking (brain power) involved? ; P

8. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 11, 2014, 03:00 Steele Johnson

looks boring.  

7. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 11, 2014, 01:01 DrEvil

I thought it would be interesting, like with fantasy theme or something (why the fuck is it called Banished?)

Anno without ubiplay drm crap or tages or whatever DRM it has? Sign me up!

6. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 10, 2014, 22:38 netnerd85

It is interesting, it's a city builder with some very cool mechanics. Why don't you research the game instead of being a bitch about it? Or just read the paragraph Blue pasted... it's developed by ONE guy, so fuck your opinion

5. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 10, 2014, 22:27 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 10, 2014, 22:24 netnerd85

OMG, a release date... finally! I will be playing the SHIT out of this game.  

3. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 10, 2014, 21:03 Kosh401

I'll almost definitely pick it up. I've kept an eye on it via its Reddit page so have read most of the dev blog updates which I found interesting. Pretty impressive coming from a dev team of exactly 1!

2. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 10, 2014, 20:33 Cutter

Yeah, colour me interested for sure. Looks good!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

1. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 10, 2014, 17:35 saluk

Nice, I was following this one a while ago, totally forgot it existed. Looks pretty great!  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo