Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Talks About Lack of Communication

There's an interview on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talking with Valve employees Jan-Peter Ewert, Jeff Cain, and Louis Barinaga. Whatever the pretext of the conversation, RPS chose to focus on communication, which they suggest is often a one-way street, noting the company is often silent on questions about topics like the delayed Diretide event for Dota 2, company layoffs, and the long-overdue Half-Life 2: Episode 3. When asked specifically about the lack of information about whether there would be a Diretide this year, Ewert and Cain defend their silence, saying:

Jan-Peter Ewert: I don’t think there is a lot of improvement to be made there. The thing is, if you feel something is wrong and your customers tell you something should be fixed, the right response is to fix it – not to tell them, “Yeah, at some point in time we’ll fix it.” Because that’s expectation. And if you’re ultimately not able to fix it, then that only makes people even more angry.

So I think the right response around SteamOS or anything we do will be what we did with Diretide, which is to bring out the thing people want [if it works out behind-the-scenes], not just tell them we’ll fix it.

Jeff Cain, business development: Reactions start even if people don’t hear anything. We’re listening. Things happen.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

7. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 19:55 anime is great!

I admire the position Valve takes in regards to releasing information on projects, even if I do wish they'd focus more on making video games.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. removed Jan 10, 2014, 19:52 [VG]Reagle

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 11, 2014, 09:03.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

5. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 18:38 Panickd

MonkeySpank wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 18:31:
(before the game reaches its half-life).

Hehe. Good one.

4. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 18:31 MonkeySpank

I disagree with what is being said in the article. Promising a fix will keep your user base happy as long as you make the fix in a timely manner (before the game reaches its half-life). EA and FunCom both got bad rep for their silence and not addressing major release flops publicly for example.  

3. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 18:21 Clever Caviar

Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 17:41:
If I was them I would say the same thing.

As a customer I would rather have a day to day update...from any developer...but I don't complain about the lack of them because I know I wouldn't do it if I was in their shoes. I just appreciate it that much more when regular status updates are provided.

I get why they do it, but there's no real cleverness at play: Valve don't talk until they're confident of the outcome one way or the other.

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

2. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 17:41 Jivaro

If I was them I would say the same thing.

As a customer I would rather have a day to day update...from any developer...but I don't complain about the lack of them because I know I wouldn't do it if I was in their shoes. I just appreciate it that much more when regular status updates are provided.

1. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 17:30 CJ_Parker

Episode 3 or STFU, kthxbai  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo