Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week

There's an article on BBC News with a look at the virtual reality headset technology being shown off at CES 2014 in Las Vegas. They look at Oculus Rift's new "crystal cove" units and go on to discuss Valve's interest in this area, saying Valve is releasing an SDK to standardize VR development at their Steam Dev Days conference on January 14-15 (thanks CVG). "Steam is in a unique position to be this intermediary between hardware and software and users," Valve designer Brian Coomer explains. "Without that its going to be hard for any device to get any serious traction." Here's more on the SDK, which will cover other ways developers can control games through Steam, including the Steam controller. He also says Valve is still working on VR hardware, as well: "There's also technology in development at Valve based around head-tracking and headset manufacture and design," he says. "We are working with other companies right now but we have not made any specific announcements."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 10, 2014, 08:30 gray

Krovven wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:32:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:06:
InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 10:52:
An SDK for VR development. Doesnt the Oculus have its own SDK? Why the fuck would Gabe want to muddy the waters, cant believe he is going to try it but it looks like he wants to fuck up Oculus and push his own thing. Douchbaggery....

Exactly, trying to be self important.
"Without that (Valve SDK) its going to be hard for any device to get any serious traction."

From all my reading there is plenty of support for the Rift with their SDK. It's just finalizing and getting the HW out here now.

Lol all this talk lately around here about Valve being a monopoly, then when they will offer an alternative to the Rift and they are douchebags? What happened to competition and consumer choice being a good thing? Btw Valve does not have a monopoly. Anyone that says they do is an idiot that doesn't know the meaning.

VR headsets won't ever gain much traction, just like 3D gaming doesn't. Majority of people don't want to wear heavy shit on their head during their gaming sessions that can last for hours.

Now, maybe (although the Rift DK1 is super light). HMDs will be the size of a pair of Oakleys in a few years, then as contact lenses a few years after that. To use your terminology who is going to want to physically have a hot box placed in the corner of a room with low FOV when they can have 12k view natively in their vision. Plus, they'd have to be in the room to be able to use it!

Also, Value aren't releasing a VR HMD. They don't do hardware unless they have to do to progress their goals (case in point SteamOS/box to remove dependence on Microsoft after MS have indicated a move of all applications to app store). They're instead supporting Oculus in order, as others have said to meet their future roadmap strategy.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2014, 08:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 19:25 HorrorScope

Xil wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 13:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 12:06:
If you want Steam UI to be VR ready... I can see that. I also see Valve's angle because this is business. But other than the UI, which I'm not even focused on one iota, it does nothing for me. The game will have all the VR hooks programmed wholly within itself, no matter what the delivery/launcher used.

As long as there is just Rift then your right, but when there eventually come more then either all game makers need to implement support for each "new" VR set or they simply implement the Steam API or what ever you want to call it and the headset makers do the same == a new head set works on all games that support that API

Fair enough. When that comes and then it is proven we have many VR choices, then yes it makes sense. I suppose Valve is seeing this, possibly even beating direct x to the punch, that is smart. They also know they have something in the works and to be recognized they want their to work under the assumption their SDK is the universal standard. Right now the Rift has all the attention like 3dfx/Glide did, but perhaps they are seeing this much longer term and want to be the Direct X of VR. I'll buy this.

Get mantle going and then Windows becomes less and less of a need for those that don't want it.

15. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 17:33 Jensen

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:25:
So yeah, he's trying to tie all VR sets into Steam, so in essence Valve gets to decide what becomes standard and what doesn't, and so make sure that their own VR device will be able to compete.

I don't think they care about their own hardware that much. Valve (Michael Abrash) has provided assistance to Oculus. The Steam controller is the only hardware they've said that they'll ship themselves, but they've said they don't care if other manufacturers use other designs.

14. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 15:42 Panickd

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:37:
If Valve has a monopoly then why do I have Origin, Uplay and the GoG Installer installed?

I am not sure anyone has ever claimed Steam to be a monopoly, just the biggest dog in the cage. Origin and UPlay have limited selection and are comically bad at this point and GoG mostly sells "classics" (though they are branching out). And no third party developers are working hard to tie their games into Origin or UPlay the way they do with Steam. Everything EA makes going forward will have hooks into Origin and everything Ubisoft puts out will have hooks into UPlay and pretty much everything else will continue to hook into Steam until one of the other players stops playing in the minor leagues and steps up in a big way. I don't see that happening anytime soon though.

13. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 14:43 Acleacius

Pretty sure, I just downloaded the sdk update on Steam.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 14:37 Beelzebud

If Valve has a monopoly then why do I have Origin, Uplay and the GoG Installer installed?  

11. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 13:04 Xil

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 12:06:
If you want Steam UI to be VR ready... I can see that. I also see Valve's angle because this is business. But other than the UI, which I'm not even focused on one iota, it does nothing for me. The game will have all the VR hooks programmed wholly within itself, no matter what the delivery/launcher used.

As long as there is just Rift then your right, but when there eventually come more then either all game makers need to implement support for each "new" VR set or they simply implement the Steam API or what ever you want to call it and the headset makers do the same == a new head set works on all games that support that API

10. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 12:30 Cutter

BBC 1? BBC2? BBC 3? BBC 4? BBC 5? BBC 6? BBC 7? BBC Heaven?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 12:06 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:44:
I don't see the link really. Using Rift with it's SDK has nothing to do if the game launches from within Steam like any other SDK/dll. To me it is encompassed on the games software itself.

But why make your own SDK when Valve makes one for you that's integrated with the client on 65 million PCs?

I'd imagine that's their line of reasoning.

Like I edited in later, Valve isn't going to try to use their SDK to murder competing SDKs, but if it's an option and it's good, most devs will likely just use the Steam one.

8. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:46 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:44:
I don't see the link really. Using Rift with it's SDK has nothing to do if the game launches from within Steam like any other SDK/dll. To me it is encompassed on the games software itself.

But why make your own SDK when Valve makes one for you that's integrated with the client on 65 million PCs?

I'd imagine that's their line of reasoning.

Like I edited in later, Valve isn't going to try to use their SDK to murder competing SDKs, but if it's an option and it's good, most devs will likely just use the Steam one.

7. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:44 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:25:
An SDK for VR development. Doesnt the Oculus have its own SDK? Why the fuck would Gabe want to muddy the waters, cant believe he is going to try it but it looks like he wants to fuck up Oculus and push his own thing. Douchbaggery....

He is a businessman. He doesn't want valve to be left standing beside the road if VR becomes The Next Big Thing. (which it won't.)

So yeah, he's trying to tie all VR sets into Steam, so in essence Valve gets to decide what becomes standard and what doesn't, and so make sure that their own VR device will be able to compete.

It may seem douchebaggy, but it's just smart business for Valve. And while I'm not sure the "Devices won't get much traction without it" statement is true, it is true that by using an SDK that's tied in with Steam, you automatically open your device up to 65 million potential customers, and that's going to be hard for developers to ignore.

In a way, this is just Valve using Steam's massive share in the market to make sure they get their fingers in every pie. It doesn't seem that much different from what MS did with Windows and IE?

I do get the business side of it for their perspective.

6. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:32 Krovven

"Without that (Valve SDK) its going to be hard for any device to get any serious traction."

From all my reading there is plenty of support for the Rift with their SDK. It's just finalizing and getting the HW out here now.

Lol all this talk lately around here about Valve being a monopoly, then when they will offer an alternative to the Rift and they are douchebags? What happened to competition and consumer choice being a good thing? Btw Valve does not have a monopoly. Anyone that says they do is an idiot that doesn't know the meaning.

VR headsets won't ever gain much traction, just like 3D gaming doesn't. Majority of people don't want to wear heavy shit on their head during their gaming sessions that can last for hours.

5. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:25 Creston

He is a businessman. He doesn't want valve to be left standing beside the road if VR becomes The Next Big Thing. (which it won't.)

It may seem douchebaggy, but it's just smart business for Valve. And while I'm not sure the "Devices won't get much traction without it" statement is true, it is true that by using an SDK that's tied in with Steam, you automatically open your device up to 65 million potential customers, and that's going to be hard for developers to ignore.

In a way, this is just Valve using Steam's massive share in the market to make sure they get their fingers in every pie. It doesn't seem that much different from what MS did with Windows and IE? (though I don't expect Steam to start trying to kill competing SDKs like MS did with browsers.)

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2014, 11:44.

4. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:08 SpectralMeat

Well maybe this will speed things up a bit and they will release the Rift to the public finally.
I am looking forward to get one.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:06 HorrorScope

2. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 10:52 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 10:21 Wildone

What is this 'Crystal Cove' you speak of? And what is this 'Crystal Cove' you talk of?  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo