Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

In retrospect, the evening update last night at around 5:00 pm makes more sense than I thought at first. I think I am going to shoot for something closer to that for a while and see how it goes. Of course I am so set in my ways that I find such adjustments difficult to actually accomplish, but it seems something worth trying.

Scheduled Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Chicken Chaser.
Hitstick Rebirth.
Story: Oklahoma man charged with 'atomic wedgie' murder of stepfather. Thanks James.
Science: Why Underslept People Cheat You.
Scientists make volcanic lightning in a laboratory.
Search for exomoons turns up fluffy, Earth-sized planet.
Media: Google Secrets You Need To See.
Hubbard's Great-Grandson Spills The Family Secrets On How Scientology Started.
Follow-up: Woman who hit head and developed Scottish accent finds therapy. Thanks David.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Post times. Jan 13, 2014, 08:58 Ant

Blue, just post whenever!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2014, 11:40 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 18:25:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 17:01:
harlock wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:28:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:04:
harlock wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:02:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 13:56:
I would be so interested to read what the mechanism is that causes this someday.

its called DNA

Yes, but how exactly.

It is constantly recording the events of your life and self-replicating throughout your body, then its passed along by sexual reproduction

So, you're saying that something as ephemeral as an accent is recorded in our DNA? If that were the case, why wouldn't entire languages be recorded? If you got whacked on the head, you should be waking up speaking Chinese, not English with a Chinese accent.

There are only a few hundred recorded cases, and many of them haven't been taken seriously by doctors. Look up Foreign Accent Syndrome. Doctors assume it's a joke, pretty much. They attribute it to slurring words due to a stroke or head trauma, but in this case it appears the woman has a very specific regional Scottish accent, and it's from the region her ancestors were from.

There are some reported cases of people waking up from head trauma with the ability to speak another language, but again, Doctors do not take these people seriously.

Exactly why I'm curious to know the exact mechanism, if it exists. It seems far fetched, so if it's true, I want to know exactly how.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2014, 08:56 gray

Ratty wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 12:07:
Hey, I have a question and thought I'd ask here first. I found my StarCraft II WOL DVD and since I never finished it I thought I'd give it another go. Problem is I have since upgraded to a new computer and haven't a clue what my old BattleNet login/email or password is. I seriously have no reason to ever use Battlenet for anything so just didn't pay attention the first time - I just wanted to play a fucking single-player game - and didn't want to have to keep track of yet another website login password for years to come.

So I create a new Battlenet account and install from DVD, everything seems fine. I play a couple of levels but it turns out I'm just playing the starter edition and it won't play anymore until I upgrade to the full game! WTF? I'm guessing I've just been screwed by Blizzard and I'm SOL unless I want to pay again for the same game.

Or am I just being overly cynical? Since I have the actual physical DVD is there a way to get the full game again? Does Blizzard have a support email or a phone number that they actually respond to?

I had that same experience with the game when it came out, it wouldn't take the code from my brand new retail copy. I returned it, lifes too short to mess around with this crap for a paying customer.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2014, 07:25 Redmask

BobBob wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 17:54:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 17:06:
Dude, how hard can it be to run a surfboard rental shack on the beach?

I wish it were that simple. My ultimate goal in life is to own private parking lots in really busy financial districts through-out the country. Money will just appear in my pocket.

And disappear in the form of always rising property taxes and various city licenses, not to mention having to repave the stupid thing which costs a fortune downtown. A friend of mine owns a car lot in a downtiwn financial sector, he's no millionaire and it isn't what its cracked up to be.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2014, 02:50 mag

I would be so interested to read what the mechanism is that causes this someday.

its called DNA

Yes, but how exactly.

It is constantly recording the events of your life and self-replicating throughout your body, then its passed along by sexual reproduction

So, you're saying that something as ephemeral as an accent is recorded in our DNA? If that were the case, why wouldn't entire languages be recorded? If you got whacked on the head, you should be waking up speaking Chinese, not English with a Chinese accent.

Because the crack to the head damaged something that got her stuck in the 'speak in what you think a Scottish accent sounds like' mode. There's no genetic memory here, just brain damage and crossed wires.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 19:49 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 17:54:

I wish it were that simple. My ultimate goal in life is to own private parking lots in really busy financial districts through-out the country. Money will just appear in my pocket.

Yeah, I'd like a few of those. Some graveyards too. Just sit back and watch the money roll in.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 18:25 Agent.X7

its called DNA

Yes, but how exactly.

There are only a few hundred recorded cases, and many of them haven't been taken seriously by doctors. Look up Foreign Accent Syndrome. Doctors assume it's a joke, pretty much. They attribute it to slurring words due to a stroke or head trauma, but in this case it appears the woman has a very specific regional Scottish accent, and it's from the region her ancestors were from.

There are some reported cases of people waking up from head trauma with the ability to speak another language, but again, Doctors do not take these people seriously.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 17:54 BobBob

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 17:06 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 15:20:
Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 15:04:
What do you need it for when all you do is lay around the beach all day, Bob?

I run my own business. There is just too much information to memorize. I have hundreds to thousands of data files, notes, and tasks. I'm fairly technically savvy so I've learned to automate a lot of procedures but I still wish I didn't have to rely on so much note taking. Those damn ancestors.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 17:01 jdreyer

its called DNA

Yes, but how exactly.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 15:22 Ratty

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:43:
As long as you can provide the original email address and name that you made the account with, tech support should be able to move the account to your current email address. I'm assuming that you have long since lost access to the original email account used to create your account which is why you can't just reset the password yourself. I had the exact same problem with a few of my wow accounts and I called the tech support number and the lady merged all my old accounts into a new one. I would call rather than trying to do it by email because it will take some back and forth communication to get the job done.
I usually use one of several throwaway accounts for things like this. And who knows what name I used back in 2010? Certainly not my real name. OK, I'll try to figure out what accounts I may have used. It's good to know Blizzard has tech support that is actually useful. I guess it's not completely fair to blame Blizzard. I could find myself in the same situation if I lost the registration code for an old piece of software, even though I had the install media.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 15:20 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 15:04:

I run my own business. There is just too much information to memorize. I have hundreds to thousands of data files, notes, and tasks. I'm fairly technically savvy so I've learned to automate a lot of procedures but I still wish I didn't have to rely on so much note taking. Those damn ancestors.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2014, 15:30.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 15:04 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:42:
Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 13:46:
Cool. Could you find that link? I've read about racial memory for years and find it fascinating. Hell it's what the entire Ass Creed series is about. It's amazing to think we have millenia of data stored inside us.

I wish I could format it for better current day storage. I'm tired of constantly taking notes.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 14:44 Frags4Fun

BobBob wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 12:09:
So, um, now that it's a nice, brand new year, any chance we might see the implementation of some tweaks and features for the site?

For real man. The whole site needs to be optimized for Oculus Rift viewing. Glasses2

No no no! Oculus Rift needs to conform to Bluesnews, not vice versa.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 14:43 Frags4Fun

Hey, I have a question and thought I'd ask here first. I found my StarCraft II WOL DVD and since I never finished it I thought I'd give it another go. Problem is I have since upgraded to a new computer and haven't a clue what my old BattleNet login/email or password is. I seriously have no reason to ever use Battlenet for anything so just didn't pay attention the first time - I just wanted to play a fucking single-player game - and didn't want to have to keep track of yet another website login password for years to come.

So I create a new Battlenet account and install from DVD, everything seems fine. I play a couple of levels but it turns out I'm just playing the starter edition and it won't play anymore until I upgrade to the full game! WTF? I'm guessing I've just been screwed by Blizzard and I'm SOL unless I want to pay again for the same game.

Or am I just being overly cynical? Since I have the actual physical DVD is there a way to get the full game again? Does Blizzard have a support email or a phone number that they actually respond to?

As long as you can provide the original email address and name that you made the account with, tech support should be able to move the account to your current email address. I'm assuming that you have long since lost access to the original email account used to create your account which is why you can't just reset the password yourself. I had the exact same problem with a few of my wow accounts and I called the tech support number and the lady merged all my old accounts into a new one. I would call rather than trying to do it by email because it will take some back and forth communication to get the job done.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 14:42 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 13:46:
Cool. Could you find that link? I've read about racial memory for years and find it fascinating. Hell it's what the entire Ass Creed series is about. It's amazing to think we have millenia of data stored inside us.

I wish I could format it for better current day storage. I'm tired of constantly taking notes.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 14:28 harlock

its called DNA

Yes, but how exactly.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 14:08 Pigeon

There should be a customer support number (be prepared to spend a long, long time on hold). If you can remember what email you used I'm sure they can either reset your login and password. If you can't remember, bnet should have sent you a confirmation email when you setup your account, might be worth doing a search for bnet in your various accounts.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 14:04 jdreyer

its called DNA

Yes, but how exactly.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 14:04 jdreyer

Hubbard's Great-Grandson Spills The Family Secrets On How Scientology Started.

I've heard this story before, but it's fascinating to hear it from the horse's great grandson's mouth.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo