Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle

AMD's CES 2014 Press Conference Webcast Replay is online, letting us play fly-on-the-wall for their presentation at the show. At this point in the presentation they discuss their upcoming Mantle API, claiming for the record that they've seen an up to 45% framerate increase in Battlefield 4 using the same hardware under the new API. They offer a little BF4 gameplay footage to show this off, but there is no footage not using Mantle for comparison (oddly, the tidbit they show had two visible full-stop hitches). They brag that Mantle development is booming, with three engines working on integration at five developers, encompassing 20+ games. The patch to enable Mantle support in BF4 is expected sometime this month. Thanks PCGamesN.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

23. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:22 Beelzebud

JSP wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:03:
Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past.

Try them out on Linux and get back to me. That is the sole reason I'm sticking with nvidia. Especially with the Steambox on the horizon. AMD would do well by getting their Linux support up to snuff compared to their windows drivers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:03 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:46:
Here's a look at the oxide engine using mantle.

Gonna link you to that

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/386899206163554304

And at least when it comes to Engines Carmack knows what he is doing.

21. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:03 JSP

Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past. And AMD isn't doing too bad graphics wise too, what with Kaveri APU being released and recent report that they're making more than Sony on PS4s sold for license of its chips at 15 to 20 USD per unit. Mantle is not proprietary so Nvidia can make use of it if they so choose, there is no fragmentation of technology, simply better advances that are long time in coming to make use of available resources for at no cost to user.  

20. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 13:55 UHD

Yeah, kind of curious how Mantle holds up in the wild. So far it's just been AMD saying Mantle is the cat's own ass, and DICE saying it's pretty cool (though maybe they're getting paid to say that like they're getting paid to be the Mantle canary).  

19. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 13:44 Quboid

How many graphics card drivers are released with claims of "up to 45% faster"? How often do people in real world situations get an even noticeable improvement? As a result (assuming the answer is "essentially no-one"), how excited do you get when the next drivers make similar claims?

Also, how often do you hear about new techs reducing the overhead for cross-platform development? I presume the PS4 doesn't use DirectX but then AFAIK Mantle only has 3D stuff; 3D is where performance matters most but there's plenty more that needs handled.

I'm not going to hold my breath that Mantle changes the world on either count.

Competition is good and for whatever reasons, OpenGL isn't really providing that. The fragmentation of development isn't good but that's a necessary evil for the time being.

As siapnar says, let's see real world results.

- Quboid

18. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 13:43 siapnar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:11:
The patch to enable Mantle support in BF4 is expected sometime this month. Thanks PCGamesN
And then we'll see some true gamer reports on performance, which will be much more informative than anything else, really

I have projectile dysfunction.

17. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 13:34 descender

"Mantle guts the overhead for cross-platform development by a huge amount, meaning you can develop something on one platform and release it on all others in little to no time."

You mean exactly what DirectX already does? And OpenGL? Oh.

One developer and one engine adopting Mantle doesn't prove any sort of mass acceptance.

If anything I see one company (ATI) that is horrible at drivers, teaming up with another company that has had nothing but stability and performance problems with their new engine... teaming up to find out that "hey... with some better programming our stuff wouldn't be so terribly inefficient like it is today".

Nothing about this announcement says that nVidia wouldn't see the exact same performance gains either.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 13:41.

16. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 13:17 Mashiki Amiketo

descender wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:00:
So you think all major consoles and Windows are going to dump DirectX, and all developers will simultaneously jump on board as well just because ATI wants them to?

Since that appears to be exactly what's happening? I'd say so. Mantle guts the overhead for cross-platform development by a huge amount, meaning you can develop something on one platform and release it on all others in little to no time.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 13:05 descender

I find it hilarious that the demo mission they chose to use from BF4 was "Escape from the Titan".

Yes, run and hide ATI... lol...

14. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 13:00 descender

So you think all major consoles and Windows are going to dump DirectX, and all developers will simultaneously jump on board as well just because ATI wants them to?

13. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:57 Cutter

Just look at the Steam Boxes, same rig with Nvidia/Intel is $200 more than the AMD box. Thanks but I'll stick with AMD.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:55 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:45:
What I read here was "Our drivers are too terrible to fix at this point, so we are going to unify the game industry by fragmenting the graphic API's".

You may read that, but it isn't the point. The point is they have a lower level way to get to the hardware and by doing so you can get a nice bump. Nothing more. For it to be a fragmenting issue, would mean companies would have to stop selling a game with DX9-11 and just use mantle. Then you would have some that will play said game and some who wouldn't because they couldn't run it. I don't see that happening at all. So no reason to fear.

11. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:54 HorrorScope

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:42:
Nick W wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:33:
Yeah they're doing so horrible. Their last set of GPUs that smoked nvidia's offerings for much cheaper were such a let down.

You mean to say that AMD finally released a card that could beat the GTX Titan 10 months after it was released, then you're getting somewhere. Also, I have yet to see a Hawaii card that is being sold for the MSRP. not AMD's fault, but that's the reality. Sure they're selling cards like crazy, but they're not nearly as profitable as NVidia. They're playing from behind.

To me I don't even really think at Titan's level. The new AMD like the 270 for $200 is great performance and value vs a more expensive 760, without Mantle improvements.

10. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:51 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:32:
"I still think it's 2005. I have no idea what goes on with AMD's products, so I buy vastly overpriced and overrated Nvidia products instead."

I get your point but vastly overpriced is overstated. Sometimes Nvidia is cheaper and faster and at worst maybe $50 more for about the same performance. Vastly overpriced doesn't seem to fit. Now on total top-end hardware, stuff only 5% will use, well I don't know about that, I don't live in that realm. I'm in the $150 to $300 realm for vc's.

I want AMD to do well, I want to jump on their low stock price and make bank off them already. Let's go!

9. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:46 jdreyer

Here's a look at the oxide engine using mantle.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:45 descender

What I read here was "Our drivers are too terrible to fix at this point, so we are going to unify the game industry by fragmenting the graphic API's".

7. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:42 Gadzooks

Its used in place of Directx 11. I remember when opengl was really the only other option. Wonder if this will start a new "war" of game graphics on the API level now. Be interesting to see if nvidia has any sort of similar offering.  

6. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:42 Dagnamit

Nick W wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:33:
Yeah they're doing so horrible. Their last set of GPUs that smoked nvidia's offerings for much cheaper were such a let down.

You mean to say that AMD finally released a card that could beat the GTX Titan 10 months after it was released, then you're getting somewhere. Also, I have yet to see a Hawaii card that is being sold for the MSRP. not AMD's fault, but that's the reality. Sure they're selling cards like crazy, but they're not nearly as profitable as NVidia. They're playing from behind.

5. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:33 Nick W

4. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 12:32 Simon Says

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:23:
Can't get excited about anything from AMD atm, the company is not doing well. I buy strictly Nvidia for that reason.

I'll reword that for you:

"I still think it's 2005. I have no idea what goes on with AMD's products, so I buy vastly overpriced and overrated Nvidia products instead."

Sorry but, that's how your comment echo'd in my brain.

No offense!

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo