Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle

AMD's CES 2014 Press Conference Webcast Replay is online, letting us play fly-on-the-wall for their presentation at the show. At this point in the presentation they discuss their upcoming Mantle API, claiming for the record that they've seen an up to 45% framerate increase in Battlefield 4 using the same hardware under the new API. They offer a little BF4 gameplay footage to show this off, but there is no footage not using Mantle for comparison (oddly, the tidbit they show had two visible full-stop hitches). They brag that Mantle development is booming, with three engines working on integration at five developers, encompassing 20+ games. The patch to enable Mantle support in BF4 is expected sometime this month. Thanks PCGamesN.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

43. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:26 BazzaLB

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 15:11:
"Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
I'll believe it when I see it, until then this is the same BS as "up to 50% performance increase with these drivers"

If you walk right up to a wall, there may be a 45% performance increase. Every other situation....3% (Please ignore the odd missing texture or poly )

Lurking on Blues since mid nineties
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:21 DangerDog

ldonyo wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:31:
Ozmodan wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:23:
Can't get excited about anything from AMD atm, the company is not doing well. I buy strictly Nvidia for that reason.
You mean not doing well aside from returning to profitability and providing the chips for both the PS4 and Xbox One? I'll take that kind of not doing well every time.

It's going to take AMD a long time to even break even on PS4 and Xbone chip sales. They completely botched the release of their Hawaii GPU's, releasing the 290/290x with reference cooler designs was beyond stupid and something they should have learned from past experience to be avoided at all cost. Too hot, too loud and reports of not performing to spec cost them sales.

The best part of AMD releasing a new part was it drove down the price of Nvidia cards.

41. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:14 Zyrxil

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:49:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:36:
JSP wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:03:
Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past. And AMD isn't doing too bad graphics wise too, what with Kaveri APU being released and recent report that they're making more than Sony on PS4s sold for license of its chips at 15 to 20 USD per unit. Mantle is not proprietary so Nvidia can make use of it if they so choose, there is no fragmentation of technology, simply better advances that are long time in coming to make use of available resources for at no cost to user.
"ATI driver issues a thing of the past" has been the mantra for the last half decade. They're just now fixing their microstutter problems, which has plagued their cards since the beginning. Once-bitten-twice-shy applies 90% of people who have built AMD/ATI systems. Intel/Nvidia combo isfar more dependable for maybe a 10% price premium. I want there to be competition, but AMD is only barely keeping itself in the game right now.

Are their drivers any worse than Nvidia's? Plenty of people report plenty of problems with those (I've never had many issues with either) so while I'm sure AMD's drivers aren't perfect, they might well be improved over their condition 10 years ago.
Yes, they are still consistently worse, with "Radeon specific performance problem" being a common thing.

40. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:10 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 15:43:
AMD has Mantle. Nvidia has G-Sync. Which one to choose?

It won't do anyone any good with the PC userbase fractioning again.

AMD says they maybe doing a version of G-Synch at no cost to the user as they have the HW on board to mimic what G-Sycn does, which Nvidia doesn't have. Or so they have recently said.

I don't get the fractioning part. It's not like there is going to be BF5 that wont work on NVidia, sure you may have to uncheck Mantle, but it will still play and look good doing so. I'm happy to see advancement anywhere I can get it. I would say Steam OS does more fractioning than this optional feature.

39. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:08 Pr()ZaC

Yeah..."the greater good" - well, those days were over before 3DFX entered the market  

38. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:05 Creston

Oh, I'm sure that Mantle works great, just as G-Sync apparently makes everything smooth as silk.

But they're exclusionary, so if you want one, you can't have the other. Why can't they just license the shit to each other, so PC gamers can have both mantle AND G-sync?

Shit like this never does anyone any good.

37. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 15:57 Pr()ZaC

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 15:43:

My thoughts exactly - PhysX, Mantle, and everything that's proprietary is just a step to the wrong direction.
But...if you consider we're talking about a huge speed boost, Star Citizen gamers will surely benefit from it.

36. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 15:43 Creston

35. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 15:30 Shineyguy

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:42:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:44:
I presume the PS4 doesn't use DirectX

Ps4 DX11.2

That article is what the GPU on the APU supports, not about what API is in use on the PS4. As the PS4 is built using a modified FreeBSD platform, it's not using DirectX.

34. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 15:11 SpectralMeat

"Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
I'll believe it when I see it, until then this is the same BS as "up to 50% performance increase with these drivers"

Steam: SpectralMeat

33. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 15:06 Quboid

Both will be supported but there will be less time given to each (or less time spent somewhere else). The performance benefits from this could be lost if developers maintaining 2 different code paths don't have the time to optimise as well as they could if they were only working with one.  

- Quboid

32. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 15:03 HorrorScope

Anyone worried about fragmentation shouldn't worry. There will be AMD and NVidia support for all games. Who would be nuts not to do so? Uness it's an AMD Demo.  

31. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:49 Quboid

Zyrxil wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:36:
Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past. And AMD isn't doing too bad graphics wise too, what with Kaveri APU being released and recent report that they're making more than Sony on PS4s sold for license of its chips at 15 to 20 USD per unit. Mantle is not proprietary so Nvidia can make use of it if they so choose, there is no fragmentation of technology, simply better advances that are long time in coming to make use of available resources for at no cost to user.
"ATI driver issues a thing of the past" has been the mantra for the last half decade. They're just now fixing their microstutter problems, which has plagued their cards since the beginning. Once-bitten-twice-shy applies 90% of people who have built AMD/ATI systems. Intel/Nvidia combo isfar more dependable for maybe a 10% price premium. I want there to be competition, but AMD is only barely keeping itself in the game right now.

Are their drivers any worse than Nvidia's? Plenty of people report plenty of problems with those (I've never had many issues with either) so while I'm sure AMD's drivers aren't perfect, they might well be improved over their condition 10 years ago.

I don't mean to imply that this is fine, that as long as they're not the worst then driver problems don't matter or that being as good as Nvidia is good enough, but my perception is that they've improved a lot and for modern hardware and a modern copy of Windows, AMD and Nvidia's drivers are about as stable as each other.

Edit:
Thanks HorrorScope.

I thought GLide was a basic, low-feature OpenGL equivalent. As the 3DFX Voodoo cards matured GLide grew and added more and more OpenGL features until by around the time of the Voodoo 4 they had proper OpenGL support and GLide faded away.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 14:56.

- Quboid

30. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:49 BobBob

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:32:
Or GLide...

Ah, the memories.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

29. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:42 UHD

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:32:
Or GLide...

Glide at least served a purpose and was useful when 3dfx was the hands-down best choice. Once Direct3D matured and nVidia/ATI started making superior products it was rightly abandoned. I don't even remember if Glide was updated to support Voodoo 4/5 features, but that was well over a decade ago.

harlock wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:34:

wat

Think bee's knees only cruder and more fun to say.

28. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:42 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:44:
I presume the PS4 doesn't use DirectX

Ps4 DX11.2

27. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:36 Zyrxil

26. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:34 harlock

UHD wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:55:
the cat's own ass

wat

25. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:32 Beelzebud

Or GLide...

24. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:27 BobBob

Remember? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DNow!  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo