Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum

Respawn Entertainment's Vince Zampella tweets about multiplayer support in Respawn, saying their upcoming mech game will support six-on-six multiplayer games, saying limiting this to 12 players is best for game balance: "6v6 is max player count. Turned out to be the best balance with ai for us," then clarifying "that's humans only count. There are lots of ai, everyone can have a Titan in follow or guard mode too." He follows with some responses to the reaction this inspired, saying "we had it higher at points in testing, this felt best," and "a 6v6 game can be a crazy experience, very fun." Thanks Destructoid via Beyond Entertainment, where they note a post from a Respawn employee about this on NeoGAF, and here's part of that:

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 10, 2014, 00:18 Razumen

DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:08:
Seventyfive wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 15:16:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:55:
This would be more acceptable if it offered something like over the top amazing level of destruction, as it's being made with Source 2 I bet even the scorch mark decals don't stay on walls very long.

Not sure if you've played Hawken but it's only 8v8 and it's plenty exciting and fun.

Player numbers are less of a concern actually, it's the implementation of AI squadmates. They always end up being less than intelligent and blocking your path. I'm not sure what tweaks they've made to Source 2 but that's an engine pretty long in the tooth for a major overhaul.

Engine's don't really have much of an effect on AI directly, you can have amazing AI in Quake 1 (and there was some great deathmatch bots released) but shit AI in Rage, it's all up to the AI programmer and how many resources they want to devote to it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 9, 2014, 18:38 yuastnav

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:07:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 10:01:
If we are talking about competitive and tactical games then it becomes unfeasible to have larger teams.
In Counter-Strike you have 5vs5, like in most other team-based games with such clan structures. Then there are exceptions where the game is balanced for 6vs6, like Natural Selection, but I have never seen anything larger.
There are of course also games like Planetside but this is already a different beast since you don't really have that close group of people.

Really? Did you miss out on Quakeworld TF, TFC, Tribes, BF1942 to BF2, etc. ? Plenty of clans/teams used to function with 10-12 players or more. Gaming has just gotten more and more simplified, not to mention the few people that started getting paid for 5v5 CS ruined it for future games.

This game will be mediocre at best.

Quakeworld TF doesn't ring a bell, I didn't play TFC, however I did not think that competition teams were larger than 6, of Tribes I only know Tribes Ascend and there the teams are usually 8 people.
Of Battlefield I saw very little, however, as far as I know, they usually played the smaller version of the maps with 8 people on each side, to that I may be mistaken, though.

28. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 9, 2014, 00:35 ColoradoHoudini

A lot of us here are old school PC FPS gamers..and do you guys remember how those public servers went when a handful of clanned players jumped in on the same team? It was usually lopsided in their favor.

Now imagine you're playing by your lonesome, jump on a server, and the other team is full of 6 clanned guys, heck, even 4.. with Vent/TS and it's you and 5 random dudes. I see some lopsided public games here.. I see a lot of clanned people playing together and ruining public server fun.

that was the first thought that came to mind.. the second thought was "I dont care if they say the game is balanced/built for 6v6.. I am blaming the 360 for such low player count."

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2014, 00:43.

27. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 23:26 Sepharo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A  

26. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 21:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

ViRGE wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:37:
garrywong wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:38:
Uh, what kind of game is Respawn? I thought Respawn Entertainment was the name of the studio, and they were making a game called Titanfall?
Ditto. I feel like I'm missing something here.
Typo/brain fart by Blue. This is the first time this has ever happened.

25. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 18:37 ViRGE

garrywong wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:38:
Uh, what kind of game is Respawn? I thought Respawn Entertainment was the name of the studio, and they were making a game called Titanfall?
Ditto. I feel like I'm missing something here.

24. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 16:24 Dmitri_M

6v6 sounds like a setup for competitive play. who would want AI mucking about getting in the way? this is weird

i don't mind a lower player count. i am just conditioned from years of FPS play to view it as a more focused game (when there's less players).

23. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 16:08 DangerDog

Seventyfive wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 15:16:
This would be more acceptable if it offered something like over the top amazing level of destruction, as it's being made with Source 2 I bet even the scorch mark decals don't stay on walls very long.

Not sure if you've played Hawken but it's only 8v8 and it's plenty exciting and fun.

Player numbers are less of a concern actually, it's the implementation of AI squadmates. They always end up being less than intelligent and blocking your path. I'm not sure what tweaks they've made to Source 2 but that's an engine pretty long in the tooth for a major overhaul.

22. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 16:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

If we are talking about competitive and tactical games then it becomes unfeasible to have larger teams.
In Counter-Strike you have 5vs5, like in most other team-based games with such clan structures. Then there are exceptions where the game is balanced for 6vs6, like Natural Selection, but I have never seen anything larger.
There are of course also games like Planetside but this is already a different beast since you don't really have that close group of people.

Really? Did you miss out on Quakeworld TF, TFC, Tribes, BF1942 to BF2, etc. ? Plenty of clans/teams used to function with 10-12 players or more. Gaming has just gotten more and more simplified, not to mention the few people that started getting paid for 5v5 CS ruined it for future games.

This game will be mediocre at best.

21. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 15:43 Flo

Now I am even more interested. I always liked the more personal player numbers.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

20. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 15:16 Seventyfive

19. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 14:55 DangerDog

18. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 14:52 Scheherazade

Necrophob wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:58:
6vs6 is going to be EPIC!
This game is on the wait and see list. The more details they release the less excited I get about it.

6 vs 6? It's so weird. Back in the early 2000's, I didn't play as many games or follow what was going on, due to college, but I seem to recall games supporting more and more players in multiplayer. At what point did the gaming world get hit by a massive meteor, wiping out all the progress that was made?

Natural selection works well with twice that many players.
12v12 lets each team work with 2 squads of ~6.
Effectively having two 6v6 matches on the same map, on two fronts.

The game swings more wildly, with more ground lost/gained in more areas. People have to do more load balancing as teams try asymmetric pushes, which also leads to more scouting. So all in all, the game improves, IMO.

-scheherazade

17. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 12:38 garrywong

16. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 12:07 Seventyfive

This is why I don't play League of Legends. It's either 64 v 64 or nothing at all!  

15. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 12:06 Beamer

I remember some servers doing de_dust with 20 or even 40 people.
And then I wonder why people always mock 6v6.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 11:25 Panickd

This game is on the wait and see list. The more details they release the less excited I get about it.

6 vs 6? It's so weird. Back in the early 2000's, I didn't play as many games or follow what was going on, due to college, but I seem to recall games supporting more and more players in multiplayer. At what point did the gaming world get hit by a massive meteor, wiping out all the progress that was made?

I'm not sure anything happened on that front. Games with massive amounts of players are still around. BF3 and 4 have some servers that support up to 64 players. And you know what happens on those servers? Chaos. Very little in the way of teamwork or squad support. You just start endlessly plugging away at anyone who shows up on your HUD as the other team until one team's ticket count drops to zero. 32 player GTA IV is possible on the PC and there too it turns into chaos.

If you're trying to design a game where teammates will want back each other up and cooperate to achieve a mutual goal it behooves you to limit your teams down to between 5-8 players per side. Otherwise you give the one jackhole who thinks he's playing normal deathmatch enough targets to think he doesn't have to play as part of the team, and then you get chaos.

13. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 11:21 Yakubs

Given they're supposedly trying something new in terms of the game design, there's simply no point in arguing over a player-count limit because no one here has any earthly clue how it'll play out in reality. It's even possible that 6vs6 is too many people.  

12. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 10:06 InBlack

Razumen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:46:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:31:
Razumen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:14:

Not every game needs a bigger and bigger player count. Sometimes less is more.

Especially if you want to save and make money. You know, make smaller levels, less poly count (So it can run on the shitboxes) and hell then you can even call it a feature!

No, it's easier to design a game that requires tight teamwork with less players than one with too many - just look at Battlefield. This has nothing to do with the performance of the console.

Exactly my point. Easier and cheaper.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 10:01 yuastnav

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo