Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking

Oculus Rift unveiled a new "Crystal Cove" unit at CES today, with the new version of their Oculus VR headset sporting an upgraded OLED display and newly added positional tracking. There are details on this on Polygon, where they learned that these changes will not greatly increase the cost of the units. "Cost has always been at the crux of the entire Oculus platform, if the hardware is not affordable, it might as well not exist," Nate Mitchell of Oculus told them. "We made sure this is a low-cost solution without sacrificing any quality. This is a top-notch positional tracking system." They have some info on both changes, saying OLED panel has an unusually high refresh rate and the ability to fire an individual pixel "for a fraction of a millisecond and then turning it off and then going black until the next pulse." They also discuss what the positional tracking adds:

One of the demos shown at CES will feature the player sitting across from a fantasy character in Unreal Engine 4, with a table that features a tower defense game resting between you. Positional tracking will allow the player to lean forward and study the board and details of the units. The extra three degrees of movements would also allow players to lean out a virtual window, for instance, in order to look around while still keeping their body in cover.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

22. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 00:33 Agent.X7

PHJF wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:22:
Sound Blaster Z, it was on sale for $60 a couple months ago but runs ~85-100 on the norm.

Second this. Have one. Replaced an older SB card. Sounds great, and the mic is cool.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 00:27 bigspender

THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING FOR FLYING AND DRIVING SIMS!

edit - well basically anything that requires you to sit in a stationary position - like mech's etc.

20. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 23:35 Shataan

I think they may be waiting till the product is just as cool as the marketing they are bombarding us with. Talk is cheap tho. Deeds.... not words. Put up... or shut up.  

19. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 23:35 ELITE

I think it's coming along nicely. They're getting what is needed to make it worth your funds.

My friend has the dev kit - you wouldn't want them shipping that as consumer I promise!

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 23:58.

18. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 23:31 Cutter

So are they actually ever going to deliver these things or are they just in development forever?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 23:30 Quboid

Thanks. I was wondering if/how they'd do movement within the headset but this way is fair enough. I could never get into TrackIR, it always felt unnatural. It tracked best with a reflective dot on my nose which wasn't a fantastic look; the headset gizmo they have now looks so much better. Shame it's not wireless. I suspect FaceTrackNoIR would be the same but it's worth a try as I'll probably get a new webcam soon anyway.

I use either on-board sound (with 2.1 speakers) or a USB "7.1" headset so I'm no expert but from what I hear, if you want to avoid Creative Labs (and serious people typically do), the Asus Xonar range is very good without paying insane audio professional costs.

- Quboid

16. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 23:22 PHJF

Sound Blaster Z, it was on sale for $60 a couple months ago but runs ~85-100 on the norm.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:38 Krizzen

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 22:07:
Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:46:
How many degrees of freedom (is that the phrase?) does it have?

The latest TrackIR has all 6; rotating on all three axis and moving on all 3. In games that supported it, you could move (as well as just rotate) your viewpoint to look around an obstacle.
Just got mine delivered today (TrackIR5), freaking loving it so far.

I get 6 degrees of freedom with FaceTrackNoIR and a PS3 Eye Camera coming in at a whopping $10. Works great, though the real issue is with the fact that your head turns while the display stays stationary. It's just something I can't get used to.

So, I'm really looking forward to Oculus Rift, and the head tracking improvements were greatly needed.

14. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:17 Creston

Since we're talking about hardware in this thread, anyone have any advice for a good PC sound card that's reasonably affordable? (~100 bucks at most?)

I think my crappy Realtek is starting to break down or something...

Thanks for any tips!

13. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:16 Creston

Jensen wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:00:
Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:53:
So what's the benefit of positional tracking? What does that do in this case?
If you lean to the side to see around a corner, or lean forward to peer at something, the view will actually change. The view inside the Rift much more closely follows your actual movements, so there will be less motion sickness.

Ah, that sounds cool. Thanks.

12. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:08 jacobvandy

The latest TrackIR has all 6; rotating on all three axis and moving on all 3. In games that supported it, you could move (as well as just rotate) your viewpoint to look around an obstacle.

Yeah, it's six now. They basically added a TrackIR setup on the outside... Kind of disappointing, but surely the easiest and cheapest way to implement it.

11. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:07 SpectralMeat

Just got mine delivered today (TrackIR5), freaking loving it so far.

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 21:46 Quboid

- Quboid

9. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 21:25 Qbex .

F... Yea! Oled and O-Rift is a perfect match, having small oled screen in my old iriver player I know how good it looks up close, negating most of the resolution problems
O-Rift was an insta-buy for me anyways but now I'm going to be first in line for it.

8. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 21:00 Jensen

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:53:
If you lean to the side to see around a corner, or lean forward to peer at something, the view will actually change. The view inside the Rift much more closely follows your actual movements, so there will be less motion sickness.

7. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:56 Jensen

I'm glad they were able to add positional tracking and implement a low persistence display on this prototype.

I think the Rift could have widespread appeal, just like the Wii, except there's one thing holding it back: the price. Not the price of the unit itself, which will be close to what the Wii was, but the total cost of ownership. This thing will take a quite powerful machine to run it, especially with the new low-persistence display. You have to be able to render the game V-Synced at 120 FPS and 1920*1080, with some overhead for the warping time. Dropped frames are much more noticeable on low-persistence displays, and probably even worse with VR.

6. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:53 Creston

5. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:52 Talisorn

DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:43:
But can they do anything about causing your vision to go all wonky after using it a short while, people report of needing up to a half hour to return to normal after using it a short time.

If you're talking about the feeling ill part, that apparently has to do with the latency between head movement and the image appearing on the screen. Even if you can't consciously perceive the lag, the brain still does unconsciously. The sweet spot is around 30ms. They are aiming from between 15ms and 20ms as the final target.

4. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:49 jdreyer

Heh, the possibilities of this display just keep stacking up. Can't wait.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

3. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:43 DangerDog

But can they do anything about causing your vision to go all wonky after using it a short while, people report of needing up to a half hour to return to normal after using it a short time.  

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo