Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking

Oculus Rift unveiled a new "Crystal Cove" unit at CES today, with the new version of their Oculus VR headset sporting an upgraded OLED display and newly added positional tracking. There are details on this on Polygon, where they learned that these changes will not greatly increase the cost of the units. "Cost has always been at the crux of the entire Oculus platform, if the hardware is not affordable, it might as well not exist," Nate Mitchell of Oculus told them. "We made sure this is a low-cost solution without sacrificing any quality. This is a top-notch positional tracking system." They have some info on both changes, saying OLED panel has an unusually high refresh rate and the ability to fire an individual pixel "for a fraction of a millisecond and then turning it off and then going black until the next pulse." They also discuss what the positional tracking adds:

One of the demos shown at CES will feature the player sitting across from a fantasy character in Unreal Engine 4, with a table that features a tower defense game resting between you. Positional tracking will allow the player to lean forward and study the board and details of the units. The extra three degrees of movements would also allow players to lean out a virtual window, for instance, in order to look around while still keeping their body in cover.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

42. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 07:09 Drayth

Doesn't the Oculus rift use a separate screen for each eye? Most (if not all) head mounted displays work that way. If so each eye sees exactly that, and thus most vr headsets are 60hz screens.

It's only on monitors or TV's using active shutter glasses where it's presenting two images on the same screen that each eye sees half the total refresh rate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 06:40 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:58:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:47:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:20:
entr0py wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 01:43:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...
They've already confirmed that the consumer display will be at least 1080P. That will still seem very pixelated in a Rift. 1440P phone screens should be coming this year, and Samsung has said that they are working on a 4k phone display for 2015.

I think it's pretty funny you guys are focusing on resolution, forgetting you want to play games on that thing. The problem is not resolution, the problem is you need to run games at 120*2 fps because you have 2 viewpoints. There may be optimization possible but even then, you are looking at a massive new GPU investment to ever run a game on the rift "optimal". You can pray to the seven hardware gods that the resolution won't increase. Because beyond 1080p no GPU on this planet runs a modern game at 120fps.... and that's assuming you want 60fps per eye.. and not 120 as it is optimal.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you talking about the frames per second or the refresh rate? Because these are not equivalent.

The refresh rate of 120Hz is a function of the screen and not really tied to the performance of the graphics card.

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 06:30 Jensen

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:45:
If it's pushing 4K at 60 FPS, that's a hell of a load on present day systems: 500 million pixel updates a second. 4K won't be perfect either so antialiasing could be important ... will there be any GPU power left to render SSAO, tessellation, particles and such like?
I've been reading up on the tech a bit tonight, and it looks like the version they're showing at CES is running at 90hz. 60hz isn't enough for low-persistence displays.

39. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 06:06 McTurbo

Perhaps not rendering the game 4 times would speed up the game..

its being split on the monitor..(twice) then split to the rift.. same scene rendered 4 times.. personally i dont need it rendered on the monitor.. and wouldn't they get better performance by plugging it into the video card? not the usb?

38. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 06:00 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:53:
It seems that right around the time when Windows 7 basically said "Fuck hardware accelerated sound, it's all software now", Creative decided to clean up their act, hired a guy who could actually write drivers, and stopped including 900MB of bloatware in the software suite.

I know, it seems odd, but who knows. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Interesting, I've stopped following the Creative Labs trend right around when W7 came out, before that I was a Creative Labs fanboy.
I've been using a Corsair USB headset so I do not need sound card but I do have an Auzen X-Fi Bravura 7.1sound card that I use mostly for listening to music when I do not want the headset on.

Steam: SpectralMeat

37. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 05:58 eRe4s3r

Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:47:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...
They've already confirmed that the consumer display will be at least 1080P. That will still seem very pixelated in a Rift. 1440P phone screens should be coming this year, and Samsung has said that they are working on a 4k phone display for 2015.

I think it's pretty funny you guys are focusing on resolution, forgetting you want to play games on that thing. The problem is not resolution, the problem is you need to run games at 120*2 fps because you have 2 viewpoints. There may be optimization possible but even then, you are looking at a massive new GPU investment to ever run a game on the rift "optimal". You can pray to the seven hardware gods that the resolution won't increase. Because beyond 1080p no GPU on this planet runs a modern game at 120fps.... and that's assuming you want 60fps per eye.. and not 120 as it is optimal.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 06:03.

36. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 05:45 Quboid

There's a 1080p test version, but it's not available as a dev kit yet. I don't know if they've officially confirmed that the consumer version will be at least 1080p but it seems certain. With its field of view, that's going to be borderline acceptable. 4K will be a lot more palatable.

Which leads to another problem. I would guess that frame rate matters even more with this, and that low frame rates will contribute to motion sickness and cause lower tracking responsiveness. If it's pushing 4K at 60 FPS, that's a hell of a load on present day systems: 500 million pixel updates a second. 4K won't be perfect either so antialiasing could be important ... will there be any GPU power left to render SSAO, tessellation, particles and such like?

(I hate that 4K has become the name for something that doesn't seem to have anything to do with either 4000 or 4092 but I think that name is here to stay )

- Quboid

35. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 03:47 Jensen

34. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 03:20 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 03:09 OldTimber

Just think this thing would be out by now if people dumped money into it, a actual product, instead of some pixelated spaceship sim for press releases every week with how they hit another million.  

32. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 02:37 saluk

DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:11:
Talisorn wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:52:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:43:
But can they do anything about causing your vision to go all wonky after using it a short while, people report of needing up to a half hour to return to normal after using it a short time.

If you're talking about the feeling ill part, that apparently has to do with the latency between head movement and the image appearing on the screen. Even if you can't consciously perceive the lag, the brain still does unconsciously. The sweet spot is around 30ms. They are aiming from between 15ms and 20ms as the final target.

From what I've read you get vision fatigue from focusing on the screen so close to your eyes, removing the rift can take quite a while to recover normal vision.

The main issue is motion sickness, not visual fatigure, and that comes from slight differences in perceived vs actual motion. The refresh rate issue should help quite a bit, and positional tracking as well. I didn't really NOTICE the motion blur problem, but it might have contributed to the feelings of unease that slowly creep up while the rift is on. And positional tracking will help mostly for those times you lean in to look at something closer. This is such a natural motion that I find myself doing it all the time with the dev kit - which promptly makes me sick because when you lean in the view does not change. Ugh

Once you start feeling like the world is slightly spinning around you, the effect can last for quite a while. My first go I had no issues, but a second attempt left me unable to jack in for at least a day. Even hearing the word Oculus was enough to trigger queasy feelings. I can use it sparingly, but have to make sure to jack out before I start feeling anything abnormal.

Really hoping these updates eliminate the sickness, otherwise it's a no go for me.

31. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 02:34 Jensen

DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:11:
From what I've read you get vision fatigue from focusing on the screen so close to your eyes, removing the rift can take quite a while to recover normal vision.
You're focusing at infinity, so it doesn't matter how physically close the screen is to your eyes. There can be an issue if you're constantly looking at things that are close to you in the simulated environment, though.

30. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 02:11 DangerDog

Talisorn wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:52:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:43:
But can they do anything about causing your vision to go all wonky after using it a short while, people report of needing up to a half hour to return to normal after using it a short time.

If you're talking about the feeling ill part, that apparently has to do with the latency between head movement and the image appearing on the screen. Even if you can't consciously perceive the lag, the brain still does unconsciously. The sweet spot is around 30ms. They are aiming from between 15ms and 20ms as the final target.

29. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 01:43 entr0py

28. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 01:42 theglaze

bigspender wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:27:
DRIVING SIMS!

yeeeeeeeaaaaaaa buddy! How about a hydraulic driving seat with Oculus?

27. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 01:13 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:53:
It seems that right around the time when Windows 7 basically said "Fuck hardware accelerated sound, it's all software now", Creative decided to clean up their act, hired a guy who could actually write drivers, and stopped including 900MB of bloatware in the software suite.

Huh, I hadn't heard that, but hadn't looked at their products in many years. Good to know.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 01:06 jacobvandy

I was surprised, too, but apparently the newest Sound Blaster cards are really good.  

25. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 01:00 Wildone

No problem, never take it off  

24. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 00:53 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:33:
PHJF wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:22:
Sound Blaster Z, it was on sale for $60 a couple months ago but runs ~85-100 on the norm.

Second this. Have one. Replaced an older SB card. Sounds great, and the mic is cool.

Yeah, it seems to be the consensus pick at several places I asked. Went ahead and ordered one. Thanks guys.

nin wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:51:
Hang on...it's 2014, and people are buying Creative Labs? Did I step into a wormhole to the past or something?

23. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 00:51 nin

Hang on...it's 2014, and people are buying Creative Labs? Did I step into a wormhole to the past or something?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo