Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?

The Steam Database has details on a patch for Fallout 3 that rolled out a few days ago that removes some variables with names like ShowCDKeyOnLaunch and LegacyKeyRegistryLocation that the posters on NeoGAF say shows the removal of Games for Windows LIVE functionality from Bethesda's action/RPG sequel. This is by no means a stretch, as various other games have recently removed support for Microsoft's DRM, including Ultra Street Fighter IV, BioShock 2, the Arkham series, and DiRT 3 amid rife speculation that the service will soon end altogether following the closure of the GFWL marketplace during the summer. This should theoretically be easy enough to check, but reinstalling Fallout 3 here has resulted in errors keeping the game from launching, but for what it's worth, we did not see any GFWL. Thanks The Escapist. Update: After getting the game to run (protip: Fallout 3 does not seem to appreciate dual-monitor setups), Fallout 3 ran without any GFWL prompts. Update 2: Upon closer examination, the game did install the Games for Windows LIVE client, and when this was uninstalled, Fallout 3 will no longer launch.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

12. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:25 Panickd

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

Fallout 3 is one of the few games where I've actually had my attention locked to it from beginning to end. It was a great story. New Vegas was good but not great and riddled with annoying bugs that made it pretty obvious that Bethesda didn't make it (Obsidian has a habit of taking their stuff to about 85-90% of the way to perfect and then going, "Meh. Good enough!").

But whatever Bethesda does next I can almost guarantee you they won't be killing off Gamebryo. Even if they take it 64 bit, even if they rewrite a lot of aspects to drag it kicking and screaming into the next generation I am sure they'll be sticking with it (under different names, of course). They're not a burn it to the ground and start over sort of developer. But then very few are.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:16 Pigeon

Now Origin needs to die as well and all will be right in the world.  

10. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:05 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:59:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

Uh yeah.. the combat.. best let that (armored) horse lay dead.

9. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:59 Verno

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

8. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:58 avianflu

I played FO3 on XBOX to avoid the GFW crud. Nice to see it gone.  

7. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:57 eRe4s3r

6. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:50 InBlack

Prez wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:28:
Hopefully this thread doesn't become a hundred-post monstrosity riddled with long posts full of flowery prose written by elitist snobs decrying how their tastes are so much more refined and sophisticated than yours. Or maybe I AM hoping that happens, which is why I brought it up in the first place! Only I know the truth!

Bethesda is a pretty cool company that apparently still makes games with a passion, instead of just for profit. Very rare these days. Kudos.

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:50 Techie714 ©

Seriously I must have dumped like 300-400 HOURS into Fallout 3 & New Vegas....Great games!

Obligatory: New Vegas was better

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:28 Prez

Hopefully this thread doesn't become a hundred-post monstrosity riddled with long posts full of flowery prose written by elitist snobs decrying how their tastes are so much more refined and sophisticated than yours. Or maybe I AM hoping that happens, which is why I brought it up in the first place! Only I know the truth!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:26 Parallax Abstraction

publicENEMY wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:12:
Bethesda is a company like no other. They kept releasing hits after hits, add mod support, rich content dlc, highly configurable for pc user etc. I have good faith in them.

Yep. Aside from the fact that they're still using an ancient engine (and outright lied to their fans that Skyrim was an all-new engine, it was just a rebranding of GameBryo that they got to keep when it's makers went under), their support for the PC scene is incredible. I really hop their next-gen games will actually be on a new engine.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:21 WaltC

I buy lots of games from Steam and like the service, but I'm not blind...;) Sure, if you're a developer, why bother with Microsoft's DRM when you can do Steam's DRM? Steam's is an order of magnitude more effective. It's fairly easy to fool the GFWL DRM, not so trivial to spoof a Steam account, though.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

1. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:12 publicENEMY

Bethesda is a company like no other. They kept releasing hits after hits, add mod support, rich content dlc, highly configurable for pc user etc. I have good faith in them.  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo