Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?

The Steam Database has details on a patch for Fallout 3 that rolled out a few days ago that removes some variables with names like ShowCDKeyOnLaunch and LegacyKeyRegistryLocation that the posters on NeoGAF say shows the removal of Games for Windows LIVE functionality from Bethesda's action/RPG sequel. This is by no means a stretch, as various other games have recently removed support for Microsoft's DRM, including Ultra Street Fighter IV, BioShock 2, the Arkham series, and DiRT 3 amid rife speculation that the service will soon end altogether following the closure of the GFWL marketplace during the summer. This should theoretically be easy enough to check, but reinstalling Fallout 3 here has resulted in errors keeping the game from launching, but for what it's worth, we did not see any GFWL. Thanks The Escapist. Update: After getting the game to run (protip: Fallout 3 does not seem to appreciate dual-monitor setups), Fallout 3 ran without any GFWL prompts. Update 2: Upon closer examination, the game did install the Games for Windows LIVE client, and when this was uninstalled, Fallout 3 will no longer launch.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:58 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:27:
Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:55:
Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

You know, when everyone complained about the combat in Skyrim, I kind of shrugged, because it felt good to me in Oblivion.

When I finally got Skyrim I had to agree - it felt dated. In the time between Oblivion and Skyrim something changed.

I'd love to see them fix it. I don't care as much about the animation (though there's absolutely room for improvement), but combat needs an overhaul. I can't think of any obvious changes, but I'm guessing they'll find plenty.

Look into graphic upgrades and fixes. I posted a bunch of them in the Skyrim thread in the forum. Pure Waters, Static Mesh Improvement, Climates of Tamriel, Realistic Lighting Overhaul, etc. Those will turn Skyrim into a sexy beast. Friggin' night and day difference with mods like those installed.

Currently playing with all that and then some. Using a BNC too. Game looks fucking awesome, and I had a few days of fun modding the shit out of it too...

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 15:07.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:45 Beamer

I really need to buy Skyrim in the next sale. I had it for the 360, and broke the game by making super armor that really just made it tedious. I didn't think it would, as I did much of Oblivion in super chameleon armor, but being invincible made it just not fun. Super chameleon did the same, but I only really used it to clear Oblivion gates, not for most of the actual game.

I need to buy it and mod the crap out of it.
Eh. I just started FC3 last night, finally (man, the menu system sucks with a mouse), and I still have Last of Us sitting in an unopened Amazon box from Black Friday.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:43 jimnms

What about those of us with boxed copies of FO3? I really doubt I will play FO3 again. GFWL wasn't used as DRM for FO3 though. It was there only for achievements and to sell DLC. I used an offline GFWL account and never once had to connect to GFWL (it was even blocked in my firewall). Other than the little popup during loading telling you what key to press to open the GFWL overlay, I didn't notice it there.

On my second play I had the GOTY edition and modded it. Using FOSE and the 4GB patch disabled GFWL anyway, so I had forgotten it was a GFWL title.

MeanJim on Steam

29. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:40 Panickd

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:54:
Panickd wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:48:
Half the time it's downloading updates to games that it's already updated but it doesn't matter because it won't let you play until it's downloaded that update for the umpteenth time!

That's actually not true. It's one of the very few things that Uplay does better than Steam. When there's an update to be downloaded, you can cancel the update, go offline, and play the game and it'll let you. I did that with Black Flag recently when yet another 1.5 GB update of a few skins for MP was released, and it worked fine.

Black Flag isn't really a full on UPlay title though. They've got a proper SP executable and an entirely separate MP executable and none of it is really tied to the UPlay interface (you don't need to drop into the overlay for any of the MP stuff). But I have found UPlay time and again downloading the very same patch for Black Flag again and again (not new content, the same stuff). And I know it got that patch last time because I played it with no problem before. It did the exact same thing for the latest Splinter Cell game until it invisibly decided that it didn't need to do it anymore. And Ubisoft's only "fix" for it has been "delete it and download the whole game again" which didn't fix it for Splinter Cell and I'm sure as hell not deleting Black Flag just to find out it didn't work there either. Playing "offline" works just fine for SP but it doesn't help when you're looking to get the MP going while it's downloading that patch it got yesterday. And god help you if you didn't disable their cloud save service and now want to play offline.

28. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:02 El Pit

nin wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:17:
DR2: OTR PLEASE!!! Cmon crapcom!

It costs money - for an old game that isn't selling well anymore, so... crickets.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

27. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:55 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:51:
Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:44:
So that part of it is easily fixed. Now they just need to focus on actually making that blow seem as if it actually hurt, rather than the toon you hit just go "ah" and not even move when you just hit him in the head with a daedric warhammer.

Yeah but I think they could do more. The mods are a bandaid on a bigger problem. The combat is pretty clunky in general and could really do with a feedback redesign especially. It's hard to do FPS/RPG stuff but I think they're still pretty far off the mark. I'd love to have first melee combat with the responsiveness and feedback of something like Dark Souls. Likewise the games animations are stiff and unnatural, I always feel major uncanny valley when I'm playing an ES game.

I agree, but it seems Bethesda either feels that they're stuck with using their current tools so their modders don't have to relearn everything, or they figure they sell a hojillion copies anyway, so why bother to make anything better?

26. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:54 Creston

Panickd wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:48:
Half the time it's downloading updates to games that it's already updated but it doesn't matter because it won't let you play until it's downloaded that update for the umpteenth time!

That's actually not true. It's one of the very few things that Uplay does better than Steam. When there's an update to be downloaded, you can cancel the update, go offline, and play the game and it'll let you. I did that with Black Flag recently when yet another 1.5 GB update of a few skins for MP was released, and it worked fine.

25. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:51 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:44:
So that part of it is easily fixed. Now they just need to focus on actually making that blow seem as if it actually hurt, rather than the toon you hit just go "ah" and not even move when you just hit him in the head with a daedric warhammer.

Yeah but I think they could do more. The mods are a bandaid on a bigger problem. The combat is pretty clunky in general and could really do with a feedback redesign especially. It's hard to do FPS/RPG stuff but I think they're still pretty far off the mark. I'd love to have first melee combat with the responsiveness and feedback of something like Dark Souls. Likewise the games animations are stiff and unnatural, I always feel major uncanny valley when I'm playing an ES game.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

24. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:48 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:40:
Prez wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:45:
Origin actually has gotten somewhat useable. If Steam didn't beat the snot out of it in every category it might even be an acceptable alternative. The worst part about Origin, of course, is the company it belongs to. They are equal parts despicable and moronic.

I think the best way to describe Origin is adequate but not much more than that. It's integration with EA titles is bizarrely inconsistent, the interface is barebones and it has a very "we contracted this out" feel to it. They don't seem to have any unifying design direction or feature roadmap either, they're just sort of puttering along and whole areas of it feel completely divorced from others. It does have a few features Steam lacks though like video recording, unfortunately its shortcomings in most other areas overshadow that. The biggest fail is that they have nothing on the Steam community implementation, battlelog would be the closest comparison but it's BF only.

It's basically an adequate storefront with schizophrenic client software. Like most things EA does these days, it feels very poorly thought out and half assed.

It still isn't as bad or as half assed as UPlay. Try and launch that Ubisoft title you bought in Steam and it launches Uplay. Go into UPlay and try and play it from there and it launches Steam!?!? Half the time it's downloading updates to games that it's already updated but it doesn't matter because it won't let you play until it's downloaded that update for the umpteenth time! And they're starting to integrate the online multiplayer into it so that you must use the godawful overlay to invite friends to your games! Yay!

23. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:44 Creston

I'd love to see them fix it. I don't care as much about the animation (though there's absolutely room for improvement), but combat needs an overhaul. I can't think of any obvious changes, but I'm guessing they'll find plenty.

Skyrim Redone actually does a pretty good job at fixing the combat. It makes every action cost stamina (with the flipside of your stamina regenerating much faster), and weapons do a LOT more damage (and everyone has less health), so when a bandit power attacks you with a two handed sword, you better block or jump out of the way (or interrupt him), or you're gonna be dead.

Walking around with a character in full Epic light dragonbone armor, AC 760, and two swings from a Thalmor Justiciar with his Elven Greatsword killed me. (there were three of them, stop judging me! )

22. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:39 Creston

It's cool of them to do this, even though it really wasn't all that necessary. FOSE disabled GfMFWL if you used it.  

21. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:27 Cutter

Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

You know, when everyone complained about the combat in Skyrim, I kind of shrugged, because it felt good to me in Oblivion.

When I finally got Skyrim I had to agree - it felt dated. In the time between Oblivion and Skyrim something changed.

Look into graphic upgrades and fixes. I posted a bunch of them in the Skyrim thread in the forum. Pure Waters, Static Mesh Improvement, Climates of Tamriel, Realistic Lighting Overhaul, etc. Those will turn Skyrim into a sexy beast. Friggin' night and day difference with mods like those installed.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:23 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:40:
It's basically an adequate storefront with schizophrenic client software. Like most things EA does these days, it feels very poorly thought out and half assed.

It wasn't an instantaneous money maker that made it rain so it went on the back burner and isn't being prioritized.

19. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:22 Cutter

publicENEMY wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:12:
Bethesda is a company like no other. They kept releasing hits after hits, add mod support, rich content dlc, highly configurable for pc user etc. I have good faith in them.

Shitty console ports and shitty UIs. Bug laden games that take the PC community years to fix. Most of their DLC is pretty bleh and overpriced but they do knock a few good ones out. Overall their games are decent sandboxes but poor CRPGs. Yeah, no one like Bethsoft alright.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:17 nin

DR2: OTR PLEASE!!! Cmon capcom!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 12:55 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 12:40 Verno

Origin actually has gotten somewhat useable. If Steam didn't beat the snot out of it in every category it might even be an acceptable alternative. The worst part about Origin, of course, is the company it belongs to. They are equal parts despicable and moronic.

I think the best way to describe Origin is adequate but not much more than that. It's integration with EA titles is bizarrely inconsistent, the interface is barebones and it has a very "we contracted this out" feel to it. They don't seem to have any unifying design direction or feature roadmap either, they're just sort of puttering along and whole areas of it feel completely divorced from others. It does have a few features Steam lacks though like video recording, unfortunately its shortcomings in most other areas overshadow that. The biggest fail is that they have nothing on the Steam community implementation, battlelog would be the closest comparison but it's BF only.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 12:45.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

15. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 12:20 Slashman

That actually takes some doing...

14. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:45 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:38 Minuit

Pigeon wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:16:
Now Origin needs to die as well and all will be right in the world.

Origin died almost nine years ago. It's the shambling, rotting corpse of Origin that needs to be put down.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo