Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Starbound Sells 1M

The Starbound Twitter feed announces Chucklefish's Starbound has now sold one million copies: "We've just passed a MILLION copies sold. Keeping with the Keanu Reeves theme… http://i.imgur.com/iBY3OfP.jpg #whoa." Thanks GamesIndustry International.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 8, 2014, 08:37 Mr. Tact

Does Starbound have "bosses" like Terraria does? From what I've seen so far (just watching a few youtube Let's Plays) it seems like an expanded Terraria to me. That could be good or bad depending on your preferences.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 8, 2014, 02:15 DangerDog

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:21:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 15:06:
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:28:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 09:59:
People sure love their 2D side scrolling pixelated adventures

I don't. I hate them. But Bats is all, Starbound this, and Starbound that so I'm curious at any rate.

I watched / skimmed through the bulk of this dudes playthrough on youtube, it starts off cool enough but seems to really break down in the repetitiveness plus the enemies are pretty stupid AI wise right now and their animations seem really crude - not sure if the later will improve since it's a low-pixel count game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrQIVDpBZaY

You're just constantly chasing higher end gear to take out same pixel monsters with higher stats, slight variation to some of the background stuff. I think they need to add more references to other sci-fi movies and games - as far as they can go without getting sued anyway.

? You just described every game....

It is a really well done game. Flying to other planets, systems, galaxies, etc is where this game shines. It is Terraria^100. Literally. They are talking about having MILLIONS of planets, and hoping to release the game with BILLIONS of planets.

If anyone wants to play, hit me up. I have a ship full of gear, weapons, etc.

I'll keep an eye on it but they do need to add more "game" content to it and not just be endless random generated stuff.

23. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 8, 2014, 01:50 Dev

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 19:53:
What we're really seeing is a resurgance of games developers have always wanted to make but were denied by the suits. I personally wouldn't mind something well made by a dev team who understand the aspects of older games that got a bit played out due to lack of imaginative new things. But finding such game design geniuses and having them pull it off is extremely hard, it's trying to hit a target that few people can see.
I agree, and we are in a very exciting time for PC games, what with the indie resurgence steam has greatly helped bring on, and now crowdfunding like kickstarter to bring to life lifelong dreams of developers (such as wasteland 2, or many others). Thats part of why I've backed so many KS projects. Someday I dream of creating my own KS project, just need a good idea. Then again, even a average idea might work I mean come on, a creativity measuring device that got like 1000% funding and was just a glass jar with pencil sharpener in lid?

22. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 23:27 PHJF

They are talking about having MILLIONS of planets, and hoping to release the game with BILLIONS of planets.

Except they are all identical besides superficial differences (at this point).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 20:21 xXBatmanXx

DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 15:06:

I don't. I hate them. But Bats is all, Starbound this, and Starbound that so I'm curious at any rate.

I watched / skimmed through the bulk of this dudes playthrough on youtube, it starts off cool enough but seems to really break down in the repetitiveness plus the enemies are pretty stupid AI wise right now and their animations seem really crude - not sure if the later will improve since it's a low-pixel count game.

You're just constantly chasing higher end gear to take out same pixel monsters with higher stats, slight variation to some of the background stuff. I think they need to add more references to other sci-fi movies and games - as far as they can go without getting sued anyway.

? You just described every game....

It is a really well done game. Flying to other planets, systems, galaxies, etc is where this game shines. It is Terraria^100. Literally. They are talking about having MILLIONS of planets, and hoping to release the game with BILLIONS of planets.

If anyone wants to play, hit me up. I have a ship full of gear, weapons, etc.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

20. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 19:53 Suppa7

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 18:10:
Suppa7 wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:55:

Let's not forget, older gamers may be burnt out on platformers but kids who's gaming history starts later then ours and haven't played all the games from the NES, SNES, and PS2' era's, these games are brand new to them.
Weezer: "Memories make me want to go back there"

There's players who haven't played these games in years who aren't burnt out, I personally am burnt out on them. But that doesn't mean other players are. Many older 2D games were well made, many haven't aged well because everyone jumped ship to 3D when the PS1 and N64 arrived. And competent 2D developers either believed the hype (3d is the future) or didn't have the team/resources/publisher support to take 2D games to the next level.

What we're really seeing is a resurgance of games developers have always wanted to make but were denied by the suits. I personally wouldn't mind something well made by a dev team who understand the aspects of older games that got a bit played out due to lack of imaginative new things. But finding such game design geniuses and having them pull it off is extremely hard, it's trying to hit a target that few people can see.

I was never a big fan of many popular indie games on the PC like meat boy, terraria, etc, but I can see the appeal for those who want deeper 2D games. When re-establishing 2D games it's going to take a while before developers relearn the ropes of 2D game making an taking it to the next level. Let's remember many devs have been away from making 2D games for a decade or more. So we get really basic 2D rehashes at first until developers find their footing again and start pushing the envelope.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 20:04.

19. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 19:47 harlock

Rattlehead wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 19:02:
I don't like blocky terrain, feels too video gamey.

whereas using "pixels" as currency is ultra-realistic

18. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 19:02 Rattlehead

I have it and love it, but the game is definitely not finished. The progression curves definitely needs work, and alot of content is still missing to truly bring the diversity of planets to life(they confirmed they are working on this).

It's playable by all means, but as a whole it isn't complete.

Also one of the pet peeves I have is there is no plans to add sloped blocks in, which really bugs me, as it was one of my favorite additions to Terraria, and I definitely feel as though Starbound could benefit from it. I don't like blocky terrain, feels too video gamey.

17. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 18:10 Pr()ZaC

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:55:

Let's not forget, older gamers may be burnt out on platformers but kids who's gaming history starts later then ours and haven't played all the games from the NES, SNES, and PS2' era's, these games are brand new to them.
Weezer: "Memories make me want to go back there"

16. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 16:55 Suppa7

There are plenty of 2D indie games that sold shit, when something is well made and appears that a lot of love and care went into it. People buy it.

They are 'fresh experiences'.

This is why there are so many rehashes, because what to us is old news is to someone just born recently a fresh experience.

15. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 16:11 nin

Dacron wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:04:

Other than 'Spelunky' the only other I have is Starbound.

Spelunky is o.k but Starbound is great. I am afraid of character wipes as updates come, so I'm holding off a major investment in time until they announce characters are safe. 24 hours so far! Great fun, lots of freedom/exploration.

Even 24 hours out of the gate is awesome, compared to some $60 titles that offer us 4-8 hours (at the most).

Backed it on their web site, but after all this talk, I may have to go ahead and install, long enough to check it out. Was trying to hold off until things were a little more concrete (not that things are horrible or anything).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 16:04 Dacron

Other than 'Spelunky' the only other I have is Starbound.

Spelunky is o.k but Starbound is great. I am afraid of character wipes as updates come, so I'm holding off a major investment in time until they announce characters are safe. 24 hours so far! Great fun, lots of freedom/exploration.

13. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 15:23 Cutter

Enh, I know Prez is the same way. Just never liked platformers in any way, shape or form.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 15:09 ItBurn

From you guys' comments, it seems that you haven't played Terraria... Starbound is Terraria. Terraria is awesome, so it's a good thing.  

11. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 15:06 DangerDog

10. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 14:55 ItBurn

Fantaz wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:43:
i want to play this game now. didn't even know it was out yet.

It's early access. Not finished yet.

9. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 14:43 Fantaz

i want to play this game now. didn't even know it was out yet.  

8. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 13:55 harlock

you didnt like metroid or mega man or blaster master or wizards and warriors? thats crazy

7. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 13:28 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 13:18 nin

Very very cool...congrats to them! Awesome that an indie game can get those kind of sales so quickly.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo