Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M

The Roberts Space Industries website now shows that Star Citizen has passed the $36 million dollar crowdfunding mark. A new Letter from the Chairman celebrates the news, outlines the Tamsa system this unlocks, and lays out their $38 million goal, the "fully aquatic planet." They currently show $36,158,810 collected from 353,996 "Star Citizens," which seems to indicate that the average pledge for the upcoming space simulation is over $100.00.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 14:28 jdreyer

KS wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:19:
Darks wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:12:
You gotta love how it takes a million dollars to get a new Star System made. What does it really take to make a star system? Placing planets and asteroids and scripting in some missions. That does not take a million dollars.

Also, the "aquatic" zone, an indicator they're running out of fresh ideas.

Speak not this blasphemy. When Lucas made Ep 1, the Gungans lived in an aquatic zone, and it turned out just fine. Even when they had to traverse the planet core.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 14:07 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:05:
I've been watching youtube vids of Elite Dangerous and it looks so good. Wish the entry fee would be a bit lower though.
In comparison I am not sure how soon SC will be finished or close to be finished. I am a backer of SC but I have much much higher hopes for Elite.
With the TrackIR arriving today I can't hardly wait to try out these space sim games this year.

I'll be very curious to hear your feedback on the TrackIR after you put it through its paces with a few games. I'm almost tempted to get one for ETS2 alone heh.

I'll be using it extensively with ETS2 myself.
A lot of the youtube vids I've see from ETS2 uses it and it looks like a whole other game with the TrackIR. Also planning to use it with Arma. There are a bunch of other racing games that uses it but flying helicopters in arma should be a blast with it.

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:52 Panickd

I am eagerly awaiting the day they beta launch this thing and the servers burst into flames with the obligatory "we weren't expecting such a massive load" blog post. You know it's going to happen. If I had any spare money that wasn't already spoken for I probably would've bought into this a long time ago though. I'm a sucker for a good space sim.  

29. pew pew.. pew.. RRRRREEEEERRRRR!! booooom... KCCCHHHPOWWW! Jan 7, 2014, 13:49 harlock

Tumbler wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:08:
IThe ships are designed to be balanced as well so your hornet may squash a 300i but an avenger gets on your tail and rips u a new ass hole. Show up in a connie feeling like a god only to see 4 aurora legionnaires firing missles on you or worse a gladiator putting a torpedo into you. This is not a bigger = better game, this is the bigger they are the harder they fall game.

pretty active imagination you have there...

and all this funding is starting to make more sense now...

28. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:49 Wildone

Its fine, but the CORE GAME is supposed to be space combat. Once they nail that cool move onto space janitor mop simulation but godammn..get it right first. We could have epic battlstar galactica quality stuff goin on here and its not gonna happen *AGAIN*

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:10:
Wildone wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:38:
There's lots of people in the SC who actively DO NOT WANT OR CARE about the Dogfighting/Space Combat! I MEAN WTF this is supposed to be a space combat game at its core?!? Elite Dangerous is already skooling SC becus they are focused on the core gameplay. Sure other stuff will come LATER but at least they got this right from the start. SC is gonna suffer because of the weird fan boy wants of SC

You know, you have a crappy attitude. We've HAD dog fighting games before. You've saved the galaxy shooting down a 1000 enemy ships dozens of times before. All my life, all I've EVER wanted to is be a starship engine mechanic. We've never had that before, and SC let's us be what we want to be. THAT'S why I funded at the $500 level. I'm sure Elite will be a fine game, but stop trying to make Star Citizen into Elite. Let Star Citizen BE Star Citizen.

27. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:48 Wintyr

i wish i jumped in early there been alot of bonus for those who did and that lifetime ship inssurance gota be nice  

26. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:37 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:31:
I'm almost tempted to get one for ETS2 alone heh.

*cackles with glee twice as hard*

25. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:31 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:05:
I've been watching youtube vids of Elite Dangerous and it looks so good. Wish the entry fee would be a bit lower though.
In comparison I am not sure how soon SC will be finished or close to be finished. I am a backer of SC but I have much much higher hopes for Elite.
With the TrackIR arriving today I can't hardly wait to try out these space sim games this year.

I'll be very curious to hear your feedback on the TrackIR after you put it through its paces with a few games. I'm almost tempted to get one for ETS2 alone heh.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:20 loomy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:48:
huh. Maybe someone can clue me in here....but looks like a pay to win scenario? The more I spend up front the better ship/s I get?

"pay to win" came from mmorpgs where you don't do anything with your brain. in theory you need to actually DO things in star citizen which change the outcome of your game, rather than just click and watch.

but if everyone is equal to you in abilities and has paid more, then yes, I guess you're fucked. well, not necessarily. a lot of the things you can spend money on are not clear advantages. like buying a ship with more action positions. or a fish tank for your hanger.

23. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:19 KS

Darks wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:12:
You gotta love how it takes a million dollars to get a new Star System made. What does it really take to make a star system? Placing planets and asteroids and scripting in some missions. That does not take a million dollars.

Also, the "aquatic" zone, an indicator they're running out of fresh ideas.

22. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:13 Beelzebud

Well right now it isn't a game at all, we'll see how it goes.  

21. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:08 Tumbler

It may be pay for A win but unless your plan is to just spend and spend you're going to lose your stuff when you get blown up. The ships can be insured so you still have a ship when u come back from death but the equipment you will be putting on the ship will likely be the deciding factor.

The ships are designed to be balanced as well so your hornet may squash a 300i but an avenger gets on your tail and rips u a new ass hole. Show up in a connie feeling like a god only to see 4 aurora legionnaires firing missles on you or worse a gladiator putting a torpedo into you. This is not a bigger = better game, this is the bigger they are the harder they fall game.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

20. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:08 Beelzebud

At 50 million they will implement 3D Realm's vision of the perfect Duke Nukem Forever.  

19. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 12:48 xXBatmanXx

huh. Maybe someone can clue me in here....but looks like a pay to win scenario? The more I spend up front the better ship/s I get?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 12:37 Creston

harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there,

Well, his KS made like $220K. Take out taxes, fees and goodies, and he's left with... 150K or so? And he's already paying a graphics guy, so he's just not going to have the money.

He'll likely release early and do some more updates with the money that comes in from it.

As for the procedural method, I agree that I don't think it's going to lead to something that grips you, but it'll be cool to see and toy around in for awhile.

17. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 12:33 Creston

harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:20:
it may end up being a disaster.. but at least it will be an EPIC disaster

People will forget all about the 'pending' California earthquake, and refer to SC as "The Big One!"

16. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 12:25 harlock

limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there, and also meet deadlines quicker... i dont think there is anyway it will be moderately complete before next year, even if it is released sooner

also im not 100% sold on the procedural sim only method.. i think its possible to do procedural storylines and someone needs to get cracking on it - especially storylines that dont require the player but can involve them in any capacity

15. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 12:20 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:16:
Also, Josh posted another fantastic Limit Theory monthly update the other day. It's looking great. He's shooting for a mid 2014 release, but I think that he's got at least another year of work, considering all that needs to be done with ship and station design, AI, mission design, interface design, etc.
Limit Theory shaping up to be awesome, but I agree it looks like it is far from release yet.
He is making great progress though. I've been following his dev updates for a while now too.

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 12:16 jdreyer

Also, Josh posted another fantastic Limit Theory monthly update the other day. It's looking great. He's shooting for a mid 2014 release, but I think that he's got at least another year of work, considering all that needs to be done with ship and station design, AI, mission design, interface design, etc.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 12:12 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo