Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M

The Roberts Space Industries website now shows that Star Citizen has passed the $36 million dollar crowdfunding mark. A new Letter from the Chairman celebrates the news, outlines the Tamsa system this unlocks, and lays out their $38 million goal, the "fully aquatic planet." They currently show $36,158,810 collected from 353,996 "Star Citizens," which seems to indicate that the average pledge for the upcoming space simulation is over $100.00.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 07:49 peteham

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:42:
Jar-Jar steals every scene he's in
Well, at least that much is true

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 05:48 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:07:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:16:
Also, Josh posted another fantastic Limit Theory monthly update the other day. It's looking great. He's shooting for a mid 2014 release, but I think that he's got at least another year of work, considering all that needs to be done with ship and station design, AI, mission design, interface design, etc.
harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
also im not 100% sold on the procedural sim only method.. i think its possible to do procedural storylines and someone needs to get cracking on it - especially storylines that dont require the player but can involve them in any capacity

I love this guy's videos and have high hopes for LT. But his hard-line 100% procedural approach is doomed to failure when it comes to these elements. Attempts to automate the creative processes of humans inevitably end in failure. Hence the need for writers, artists, musicians, programmers, etc. Using procedural for these things is doomed to produce a soulless, unfulfilling end result. Remember Origin's motto? The thing that made them great? "We Create Worlds", not "We Create Systems That Create Worlds". Procedural can go a long way but using it for everything is folly.

I hope I'm mistaken and he actually has a more hybrid approach in mind, but so far all I've heard him say is along the lines of "100% procedural everything!"
Yeah, this is why I think he won't really be finished until 2015. To make procedural missions that are even mildly interesting, he's gonig to need A LOT of time.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:10:
All my life, all I've EVER wanted to is be a starship engine mechanic. We've never had that before, and SC let's us be what we want to be. THAT'S why I funded at the $500 level.

*backs away slowly* I'm still on the fence as to whether you were joking/trolling or serious.

Yeah, I was kidding. I didn't mean for Suppa to take me so seriously. Deadpan sarcasm is hard to do text-only. Sorry Suppa! I don't really want to be an engine mechanic fixing engines using a match-three minigame. Honest!

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

50. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 05:42 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:27:
NegaDeath wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:52:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:28:
Speak not this blasphemy. When Lucas made Ep 1, the Gungans lived in an aquatic zone, and it turned out just fine. Even when they had to traverse the planet core.

Did you not attend the meeting where we all agreed Episode 1 never happened?

Nope never heard of it.

wtf is episode 1?

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, only the greatest movie ever made. Contains the first wholly digital full realized on screen character in a major role: Jar-Jar Binks. Sophisticated and heroic, Jar-Jar steals every scene he's in, usually with his elongated prehensile tongue. The Pod Race is not to be missed: it's the combination of the car chase from the French Connection and the best racing parts from Days of Thunder. And it contains the most ultimate villain character ever: Darth Maul. Think Anton Chigurh with a lightsaber, and you're getting pretty close. Anyway, Bats, if you've not seen it yet, you really owe it to yourself to check it out. On Bluray, so you can experience the CG poodoo in exquisite detail.

49. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 05:32 jdreyer

Kosumo wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 04:31:
In respect to procedural games, one word - Minecraft, and I think it sold ok despite that.

What makes MC great isn't that it's procedural, but rather I can enter that procedurally generated world and shape it into something cool. Hopefully LT includes some modding tools so I can make stations/ships/weaps/planets in LT that exist currently in my mind's eye.

48. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 04:31 Kosumo

In respect to procedural games, one word - Minecraft, and I think it sold ok despite that.  

47. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 01:31 Suppa7

Attempts to automate the creative processes of humans inevitably end in failure.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect, huge amounts of modern AAA games have algorithmic and procedural elements in them. You just don't notice them because they are limited to the boring parts (textures, cities, etc). If you think games like saints row have no procedural elements you are completely ignorant of modern game development.

Diablo's randomized dungeons were a taste of what is to come in the future, it's just a really hard problem to solve that will be solved slowly in bits and pieces.

If you doubt this ragdoll physics and tree rendering was done the same way. We got things like SpeedTree and havok. We don't like to think aglorithms and procedural stuff is in our games but it's slowly creeping in where and when the tech is good enough to make sense.

46. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 20:27 xXBatmanXx

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:52:
Speak not this blasphemy. When Lucas made Ep 1, the Gungans lived in an aquatic zone, and it turned out just fine. Even when they had to traverse the planet core.

Nope never heard of it.

wtf is episode 1?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

45. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 20:07 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:16:
Also, Josh posted another fantastic Limit Theory monthly update the other day. It's looking great. He's shooting for a mid 2014 release, but I think that he's got at least another year of work, considering all that needs to be done with ship and station design, AI, mission design, interface design, etc.
also im not 100% sold on the procedural sim only method.. i think its possible to do procedural storylines and someone needs to get cracking on it - especially storylines that dont require the player but can involve them in any capacity

I love this guy's videos and have high hopes for LT. But his hard-line 100% procedural approach is doomed to failure when it comes to these elements. Attempts to automate the creative processes of humans inevitably end in failure. Hence the need for writers, artists, musicians, programmers, etc. Using procedural for these things is doomed to produce a soulless, unfulfilling end result. Remember Origin's motto? The thing that made them great? "We Create Worlds", not "We Create Systems That Create Worlds". Procedural can go a long way but using it for everything is folly.

I hope I'm mistaken and he actually has a more hybrid approach in mind, but so far all I've heard him say is along the lines of "100% procedural everything!"

All my life, all I've EVER wanted to is be a starship engine mechanic. We've never had that before, and SC let's us be what we want to be. THAT'S why I funded at the $500 level.

*backs away slowly* I'm still on the fence as to whether you were joking/trolling or serious.

Tumbler wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:43:
I started at $125 for that hornet package and felt really nervous, considered pulling my pledge, but watching them respond to problems they faced and the art and models they continue to create and present just makes me happy to spend more. I'm very excited to see everything they create and with each new ship they offer I'm open to spending more money if I like it enough.

What I don't get is... why do people spend so much real $$$ on this stuff at this stage? Why not get the game for $30 or $40 or whatever it was, have fun playing it, and get the goodies in the course of playing? I have high hopes for Star Citizen (and WC2 is still my all-time favorite game) but I'm not buying their sales pitch for why I should buy all this virtual stuff with real money. They already have way more than enough money to make the game. They insist it's not going to be P2W. So what rational reason is there to give them hundreds of dollars? Seems like an awfully high risk, low reward investment.

44. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 19:47 Suppa7

You know, you have a crappy attitude. We've HAD dog fighting games before.

We've had elite, really bad side-mechanics like you speak in games, FPS, Racing and RPG's before and I bet you play a host of rehashed games.

There are certain game genre's that are so impossibly and impeccably well made and who's formula is so sound it's fine to repeat it, it's called REPLAYABILITY. Games like civilization and alpha cenatauri have this.

Freespace 2 had this, very few space sims outside of freespace had deep replayable space combat. People are hoping we get a return to xwing/early wing commander/freespace type combat because every other space sim outside of these games sucked donkey balls.

Why the fuck would you want to be a mechanic? It's like being a crafter in an MMO. Being a space mechanic could be good in theory but they'd have to be making a 4X civilization/AC type game with those types of designers for it to work.

Trying to shoe-horn 4X elements into the space combat genre without developers with a track record is a disaster waiting to happen.

The problem is developing any complex system of simulated rules and making it fun from designers who have no prior experiences is high risk and dubious endeavor because they have no prior art from which to work from.

43. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 19:01 Cutter

Flatline wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 18:57:
Tumbler wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:08:
It may be pay for A win but unless your plan is to just spend and spend you're going to lose your stuff when you get blown up. The ships can be insured so you still have a ship when u come back from death but the equipment you will be putting on the ship will likely be the deciding factor.

The ships are designed to be balanced as well so your hornet may squash a 300i but an avenger gets on your tail and rips u a new ass hole. Show up in a connie feeling like a god only to see 4 aurora legionnaires firing missles on you or worse a gladiator putting a torpedo into you. This is not a bigger = better game, this is the bigger they are the harder they fall game.

Amendment. You've been told that the game will be this way. You haven't actually seen it function.

Please tell me one AAA game that delivered on every bullet point promised in the pre-pre-alpha/conceptual stage at launch.

None that you had to pay for at any rate. And that's the major difference.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

42. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 18:57 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:08:
It may be pay for A win but unless your plan is to just spend and spend you're going to lose your stuff when you get blown up. The ships can be insured so you still have a ship when u come back from death but the equipment you will be putting on the ship will likely be the deciding factor.

The ships are designed to be balanced as well so your hornet may squash a 300i but an avenger gets on your tail and rips u a new ass hole. Show up in a connie feeling like a god only to see 4 aurora legionnaires firing missles on you or worse a gladiator putting a torpedo into you. This is not a bigger = better game, this is the bigger they are the harder they fall game.

Amendment. You've been told that the game will be this way. You haven't actually seen it function.

Please tell me one AAA game that delivered on every bullet point promised in the pre-pre-alpha/conceptual stage at launch.

41. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 18:02 jdreyer

BazzaLB wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 17:58:
I have trackIR. Had it fir years but I use it exclusively for flight sims. I'm a big proponent of sim racing too, but I don't use trackIR for that. For some reason I find it slightly disorienting when cornering. Others swear by it for sim racing though. Its a must for flight sims for combat / runway situational awareness.

You mention ETS2. Well, thats the only other game I use it for. Makes pulling out of intersections without causing pileups so much easier. Its very beneficial for ETS2.

I'm going to play around with ETS2 (which I bought b/c everyone on this site was talking about) but I'm going to wait to get serious with it until I get my OR for this reason.

40. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 17:58 BazzaLB

I have trackIR. Had it fir years but I use it exclusively for flight sims. I'm a big proponent of sim racing too, but I don't use trackIR for that. For some reason I find it slightly disorienting when cornering. Others swear by it for sim racing though. Its a must for flight sims for combat / runway situational awareness.

You mention ETS2. Well, thats the only other game I use it for. Makes pulling out of intersections without causing pileups so much easier. Its very beneficial for ETS2.

Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

39. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 17:22 Hump

Im thinking they can afford to release the game for free.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

38. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 15:34 Kosumo

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:33:
Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:37:
limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there,

Well, his KS made like $220K. Take out taxes, fees and goodies, and he's left with... 150K or so? And he's already paying a graphics guy, so he's just not going to have the money.

He'll likely release early and do some more updates with the money that comes in from it.

As for the procedural method, I agree that I don't think it's going to lead to something that grips you, but it'll be cool to see and toy around in for awhile.

The thing is that people are banging down his door trying to throw money at him. And he's refusing to take it for some reason. He could do an indie go go campaign or something and easily reap another $200K.

Maybe he thinks it wise to complete the project as planned and release it before going on to a new plan or change one thats already under way.

It's not like he only gets to ever make one game ... if this one is good, he can upscale the next with more funding and what not.

37. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 15:22 Cutter

KS wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:19:
Darks wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:12:
You gotta love how it takes a million dollars to get a new Star System made. What does it really take to make a star system? Placing planets and asteroids and scripting in some missions. That does not take a million dollars.

Also, the "aquatic" zone, an indicator they're running out of fresh ideas.

An Ocean planet would almost be enough to suck me into this game for that alone. I'd love to see a game centered on exploring an ocean planet.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

36. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 15:14 Luke

feral.fury wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:50:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:48:
huh. Maybe someone can clue me in here....but looks like a pay to win scenario? The more I spend up front the better ship/s I get?

This is absolutely true. The more you pay, the better ships you'll have. So, you can either pay now with real money or pay later when the game is released in the currency of time. Because you know, time is money.

OR....just don't pay , time is money give me a break its a pc game and if ya don't have the time to play it go play waldo Clown

35. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 14:52 NegaDeath

Nope never heard of it.

34. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 14:50 feral.fury

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:48:
huh. Maybe someone can clue me in here....but looks like a pay to win scenario? The more I spend up front the better ship/s I get?

This is absolutely true. The more you pay, the better ships you'll have. So, you can either pay now with real money or pay later when the game is released in the currency of time. Because you know, time is money.

33. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 14:33 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:37:
limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there,

Well, his KS made like $220K. Take out taxes, fees and goodies, and he's left with... 150K or so? And he's already paying a graphics guy, so he's just not going to have the money.

He'll likely release early and do some more updates with the money that comes in from it.

As for the procedural method, I agree that I don't think it's going to lead to something that grips you, but it'll be cool to see and toy around in for awhile.

The thing is that people are banging down his door trying to throw money at him. And he's refusing to take it for some reason. He could do an indie go go campaign or something and easily reap another $200K.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo